Koodo Community

Community

Samsung Galaxy S7 overheating

My phone began to random overheat today.  It was charging a bit during the day, but the overheating is not related to the charger as far as I can tell because it's happening detached from the charger.  I'm at work, so I'm not using it, but only noticed it when I went to send a couple of texts.

I've re-booted it to see if that would help (as this happened once before, only it became super hot, while on its charger and rebooting worked).  Rebooting did not help this time.  I tried twice.  It cools down powered off completely.  

I also have a second issue - I'm randomly not receiving some text messages (since yesterday morning).  I will get some from my sister and then randomly not receive others from her.  This has been the same with some texts from my boyfriend and one of friend of mine so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Melipoo,

At this point I would  recommend that you do a full system restore on your phone. This will reset it back to the factory settings so you will lose all your locally saved content so make sure you backup your phone before doing it. 

You can see how to reset the S7/S7E at the following link:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-reset-a-samsung-galaxy-s7/

Thank you! I will definitely try this as soon as possible. The battery is now draining extremely fast (went from 62% to 30% since my initial post) and I have not used my phone:( Am I able to back up to a computer? Forgive my semi-lack of technological know-how. I do not currently have another phone to use..
Userlevel 7
Melipoo wrote:

Thank you! I will definitely try this as soon as possible. The battery is now draining extremel...

You can create a Samsung backup in the settings before you restore. If you make the backup, then whenever you setup the phone after the restore, you can get it to restore the old content.  
Melipoo wrote:

Thank you! I will definitely try this as soon as possible. The battery is now draining extremel...

Thank you!
Userlevel 5
Yes, download the Smart Switch app from the play store, and the computer version from the samsung website. this will allow you to transfer all your pics, text messages, calendar entries from you phone to a backup file, the you can restore those back to your phone after the reset has been completed 
This is amazing, thanks!
Userlevel 5
Melipoo wrote:

This is amazing, thanks!

it really is, that app/program combo is one of the reasons I stay with Samsung when I upgrade my phone, it's an awesome app!
Still trying to back up my phone to my computer (takes longer than I thought...still sitting at 0%)..

New development: it cools down when plugged into its charger and immediately heats back up when I unplug it:-(
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Melipoo wrote:

Still trying to back up my phone to my computer (takes longer than I thought...still sitting at 0...

It should back up fairly quickly on the order of a few minutes to ten minutes for a 64 GB phone.
Badge +4
A full backup (including SD card, if installed) will take some time -  dependent on the amount of data stored on the device. 

Before performing a factory reset, you could try putting the phone in Safe Mode. This essentially prevents any third-party apps from running and only the phones' built-in system apps will run. This is helpful in determining whether a third-party app is the cause of the overheating issue.

Getting into Safe Mode on Samsung Galaxy S7 - use second option (starts @ 1:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVH7NLeXhY

I prefer using the hardware method of factory resetting the device. Not to factory reset the device, though the option is there, but to first wipe the cache partition. Sometimes fragments from an earlier OS are left behind that may cause performance and battery drainage issues. 

Wipe Cache Partition on Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFuud8bdKxQ

Hard Reset & Soft Reset- Factory Reset 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjPfbpbUI4