Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Factory Unlocked SM-GW925W8

Userlevel 2
So I've just bought an S6 Edge off eBay few days ago, 64gb white factory unlocked and It's a canadian model with region locked to Winnipeg, Manitoba. But the thing that got me curious is after inserting the sim card and booting into the home screen, I found the Koodo self serve app there and it's not uninstallable, it only allows me to disable and reset the app. Sorry I am new to Android, do android phones automatically install the carrier app on your phone after you insert their sim? Or this phone was originally from Koodo?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
If it's there and you cannot uninstall it then it Was likely a koodo phone before it was unlocked. Easiest way to tell is remove your SIM and perform a factory reset. The Koodo app shouldn't be there if the device is from Samsung directly. Hope this helps.
Userlevel 2
Chad Burr wrote:

If it's there and you cannot uninstall it then it Was likely a koodo phone before it was unlocked...

but Chad, my point is Koodo doesn't officially carry the white 64gb galaxy S6 edge.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

If it's there and you cannot uninstall it then it Was likely a koodo phone before it was unlocked...

It could have been installed by the sim. It could have been an internal test unit. Who knows. Do the reset, if it is there it's a koodo phone.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

If the sim card is still in the phone when the do the factory reset then it doesnt matter. But regardless we know its not a Koodo phone since they dont carry that size/colour edge so resetting it would be a waste of time and potentially deleting important things
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Easiest way to tell is remove your SIM and perform a factory reset. The Koodo app shouldn't be there if the device is from Samsung directly.

Userlevel 7
Sometimes unlocked phones will place a special carrier version of the software onto the phone if you place the SIM card into the phone while it's booting up. I've seen Rogers phones that have been unlocked and used with Bell load Bell TV and Bell Self Serve when the SIM is placed in them during initial setup. It doesn't mean the phone was originally from X provider.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Sometimes unlocked phones will place a special carrier version of the software onto the phone if ...

BB 10 devices sold by Koodo will have the telus app for instance
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Sometimes unlocked phones will place a special carrier version of the software onto the phone if ...

BB 10 devices sold by Koodo will have the telus app for instance
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Yeah if you put a Telus sim card in it. But that wasn't the case if there wasnt one, at least for me
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

My Q10, Z10 and Q5 all behaved that way. The Z30 had a link to AT&T