Koodo Community
Solved

Samsung galaxy s3 has circle with diagonal line through it beside wifi signal for 4 days. After episode with green robot for a few days.

• 23 March 2019
  • 8 replies

My ol Samsung Galaxy 3S has a circle with a diagonal line beside the wifi signal. Can't text or receive, can't call or receive. I have rebooted, removed battery, taken sim and sd card out and put back in. I operated on airplane mode so I could use wifi. I need the phone to function like it did 4 days ago minus the green robot guy taking over my phone!
icon

Best answer by rikkster 23 March 2019, 10:18

Airplane mode shuts of all radios, (e.g. cellular, bluetooth and wifi). Wifi can be re-enabled while in airplane mode as you've explained. Have you tried turning airplane mode off?

If the above fails to yield results, it's possible the SIM card may be faulty. The Galaxy S3 is an older phone and SIM cards don't last forever. With airplane mode turned off, try manually searching for a network operator, (Koodo). It's been awhile since I've played with an S3. Go to: Settings > Mobile networks > Mobile network settings > Network operators. There should be an option to manually search for a network operator.

If the S3 is unable to find the Koodo network, chances are the SIM card is faulty. The S3 takes a micro SIM card. Koodo sells a tri-cut style SIM card capable of standard, micro and nano SIM card sizes. Simply press out the size of card you need.

If your budget permits, have you thought about upgrading to a newer phone? Koodo has the Samsung Galaxy A5 (Certified pre-owned) for $450 purchased outright or on a tab small (click link for details). https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-a5-cpo. Just a suggestion.
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From your description the icon was likely a sign of "no service".What did it say on your self service? If you didn't pay or topup(prepaid) your line might be deactivated.
Badge +4
Airplane mode shuts of all radios, (e.g. cellular, bluetooth and wifi). Wifi can be re-enabled while in airplane mode as you've explained. Have you tried turning airplane mode off?

If the above fails to yield results, it's possible the SIM card may be faulty. The Galaxy S3 is an older phone and SIM cards don't last forever. With airplane mode turned off, try manually searching for a network operator, (Koodo). It's been awhile since I've played with an S3. Go to: Settings > Mobile networks > Mobile network settings > Network operators. There should be an option to manually search for a network operator.

If the S3 is unable to find the Koodo network, chances are the SIM card is faulty. The S3 takes a micro SIM card. Koodo sells a tri-cut style SIM card capable of standard, micro and nano SIM card sizes. Simply press out the size of card you need.

If your budget permits, have you thought about upgrading to a newer phone? Koodo has the Samsung Galaxy A5 (Certified pre-owned) for $450 purchased outright or on a tab small (click link for details). https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-a5-cpo. Just a suggestion.
Userlevel 3
Bad suggestion. Third party retailers have brand new Galaxy A5 for $0 on Small Tab with a $250 bonus.
From your description the icon was likely a sign of "no service".What did it say on your self service? If you didn't pay or topup(prepaid) your line might be deactivated.
Bill is due soon. Possibly because the phone is not accepting text, the bill reminder text did not send. Maybe it was deactivated?
Rikkster, is A5 better phone than A8? I believe it is also on small tab.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would give this a read : https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-a8-plus-vs-galaxy-a7-vs-a5-specs-824666/
Badge +4
Probably best to check the link below for a side-to-side comparison of both phones.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8494&idPhone2=8886

On paper, the A8 looks to be the better phone in terms of an upgraded chipset/cpu, compared to that of the A5. The A8 has four gigabytes of RAM versus the A5 having three gigabytes of RAM. You'll gain an extra .4 inches of screen real estate with the A8's 5.6 inch screen vs the A5's 5.2 inch display. There are many more features, the link above goes into greater detail.

Both the A5 and A8 are certified pre-owned and available on tab small. (Online only, while quantities last).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From your description the icon was likely a sign of "no service".What did it say on your self service? If you didn't pay or topup(prepaid) your line might be deactivated.Bill is due soon. Possibly because the phone is not accepting text, the bill reminder text did not send. Maybe it was deactivated?

Can you check your self service?

Also, if you had another phone, try the SIM in that phone and see if the problem was from the phone or SIM or network..