Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung Galaxy S3 "Call ended 0:00" please help

I want to apologize in advance, this is going to be a long question: have this annoying and frequent problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3, when I try to make a phone call i get "Call ended 0:00" right away, the phone won't even dial it just says "Call ended 0:00" my signal strength is strong as well when this happens, the only way to get it to make calls is to power off the phone and restart it or toggle flight mode on/off. It is happening everyday, I went to the Koodo store and they switched my sim card worked fine for 1 day then it happened again "Call ended 0:00"...went back and they did a factory wipe of my phone and again worked fine for 1 day and then "Call ended 0:00"....YET AGAIN went back and the sales rep did this update over the phone from calling Koodo...same problem worked fine for 1 day and then "Call ended 0:00". Now frustrated i went again to the store and after a lot of talking to them they gave me a new Samsung Galaxy S3, I thought the problem would be fixed as they told me there was a batch of these phones that had this problem and i must of gotten one of them....Well, here we are again i still have the "Call ended 0:00" with the new phone when attempting to place a call. I called Koodo tech support last night and after being on the phone for half an hour the person did a debug of my sim card and said that should fix it....Today when i tried to call someone this morning i got the "Call ended 0:00" AGAIN. I don't know what to do anymore, i'm so frustrated...Does anybody else have this problem with their S3?? and how to fix it?? I also want to say that i have tried all the network modes, and they all do the same thing the only one that doesn't work is GSM i believe, that one i get no signal...but the others i have all tried and i still get the call ended issue when attempting to make a call. I have GPS/WIFI disabled...the only thing i have enabled is Data because i have data in my monthly plan. I have noticed when my phone is refusing to make calls, and when i get into an area that offers LTE my phone starts working again to make calls...where i live i can only get 4G for my data because i have no LTE but when i go to a town that has LTE my phone starts working again. Can this issue be caused by Data??

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Try resetting the network settings. 🙂
How do you do that? or do you mean just switching the network from LTE/GSM/WCDMA (or however it is) to WCDMA and vise versa? if so i have already tried every network, and switching the network is a sometimes a temp fix, i forgot to add above that i did switch from LTE/GSM/WCDMA to WCDMA when i get the "Call ended 0:00" and the issue sometimes goes away but it comes right back in a few hours/days.
Userlevel 7
Victoria Marie wrote:

How do you do that? or do you mean just switching the network from LTE/GSM/WCDMA (or however it i...

For android I believe it is, On your Homescreen, tap the Apps icon Note: Some Android devices do not have an Apps icon and display all your apps on your Homescreen. Tap Settings Tap More Settings Tap Mobile Networks Tap Access Point Names Tap the Menu key Tap Reset to default
My phone right now as i type this is giving me the "Call ended 0:00" when i try to call, I just tried what you said and i still cannot make a phone call....still gives "Call ended 0:00" 😞
Userlevel 7
Victoria Marie wrote:

My phone right now as i type this is giving me the "Call ended 0:00" when i try to call, I just t...

Have you updated your phone recently and has it been like this ever since you got the s3? Sorry to hear you're having problems 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a common issue since the last update pushed out by Samsung in mid-december. Unfortunately, until they release a patch for it there is no permanent fix. The temporary workaround is to toggle flight mode on and off, which will then allow you to place calls again. Again, this problem was caused by Samsung's update, notKoodo's network.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

This is a common issue since the last update pushed out by Samsung in mid-december. Unfortunatel...

My boyfriends' sister and her boyfriend both have s3's but they are with fido and they don't have the call ended problem like i'm experiencing...also my boyfriend's father/step mother/some co workers have samsung galaxy's (not s3's) and they have no problems either with calling and they are with Koodo, maybe because they have older models (s2) but i don't understand why my boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend don't have this problem with their s3's.
I first joined Koodo on December 24 after being with Telus, and not long after getting the phone it started with this problem, they did a sim change/factory reset/update on my first phone and nothing worked. I got my second s3 on Thursday (Feb, 6, 2014) and it's still doing it...It is all updated so i don't know what's up with it. I just went into my phone and pressed the menu button and into call settings>additional settings and it gives me a error: "Network or SIM Card error" but that is only when the phone is refusing to do calls, when the phone is working i don't get that error....so i am not sure??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Victoria Marie wrote:

I first joined Koodo on December 24 after being with Telus, and not long after getting the phone ...

Again: the problems with this phone were CAUSED by the latest update. Samsung has yet to release a fix.
Badge +4
What happens when you enter a phone number manually without the +1 prefix? (Just area code and phone number).
rikkster wrote:

What happens when you enter a phone number manually without the +1 prefix? (Just area code and ph...

I still get the "Call ended 0:00" calls won't go through 😕
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

What happens when you enter a phone number manually without the +1 prefix? (Just area code and ph...

If the issue is related to an Android update as Timo mentions, then the only way to fix this would be to revert back to an earlier version of Android until Samsung releases the update. I don't know how technically adept you are, as this is not a simple procedure for the uninitiated and Koodo reps won't perform this for you either. Your only option at this point is to wait for the update.
rikkster wrote:

How do you go about reverting to an earlier version of android?
rikkster wrote:

And how can you check what version of android you have? Does anyone know the name of the version that is causing this? That way I can check if it's the version I even have and I can ask what version my boyfriends sister/her boyfriend are running to pin point if it really is on samsungs end.
Userlevel 7
rikkster wrote:

to check what version of android you have go to settings> scroll to the bottom where it will say about> then check the version of android from there.
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Reverting to an earlier version of Android would involve gaining root access and flashing to an earlier version of Android. The rooting process essentially voids the manufacturers warranty as it is considered tampering with the software, however the process is completely reversible. Among other things, gaining root access (rooting) allows you to make a complete backup of the system including all settings prior to flashing a new OS. Highly recommended prior to flashing an OS, particularly if something should go wrong. The entire procedure isn't that difficult, it involves a fair amount of reading and following instructions to the letter. You can go as far back as Android's earliest version 4.0.4. (Ice Cream Sandwich) If the S3 was recently updated, the version is either Android JellyBean 4.1.2. or possibly 4.3., in that case, you could revert to 4.1.1. The following links have all the tools necessary to root and flash an older Android operating system. See Odin and CF-Auto Root. You must register with SamMobile in order to obtain firmware. Registration is free as are the stock firmware downloads. http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2543854 http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3-att The SGH-I747 and SGH-I747M are identical devices, the device without the M designation is the U.S. variant. Usual disclaimer: You assume all risks and accept full responsibility. Myself nor Koodo cannot be held responsible should something happen to your device.
Userlevel 7
rikkster wrote:

Idt you need to root to use odin.
Turn off LTE. LTE is a trainwreck and for reasons beyond my comprehension (even as a mobile phone tech) it interferes with voice network capabilities in some regions. If turning LTE off doesn't work, and this happened in congruence with the most recent software update, the only way you're going to fix this is with a factory reset.
Userlevel 7
womanticore wrote:

Turn off LTE. LTE is a trainwreck and for reasons beyond my comprehension (even as a mobile phone...

I don't think that's gonna work either because the OP stated that was a temporary fix.
womanticore wrote:

Turn off LTE. LTE is a trainwreck and for reasons beyond my comprehension (even as a mobile phone...

I have turned off LTE many times and it's a temp fix, the call ended issues comes right back. I am on my second s3 from koodo and they did a factory reset on the first phone and that didn't work either so doing a factory reset again on the second phone won't work either as it failed on the first phone. 😞
womanticore wrote:

A lot of the issues are happening due to the Jellybean update, though. It's not a question of hardware-to-hardware similarities at this point.
I checked which android version i have and it's 4.3 -- Does anyone here on this forum have an S3? with 4.3? if so does your phone have the same problem as mine? -- I contacted a friend of mine via facebook and she has a Samsung galaxy (not sure which model, she didn't answer back yet) but she is running 4.3 and has no issues like me, and she is with a different company. If it was caused by the update in mid december wouldn't ALL phones running 4.3 have this problem??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Victoria Marie wrote:

I checked which android version i have and it's 4.3 -- Does anyone here on this forum have an S3?...

No. Just because an update causes problems with some phones does not mean it will cause problems with all phones. The fact is that before 4.3 was released NO s3's had this problem, and after 4.3 was released many do. A quick google search shows people reporting this problem with koodo, telus, rogers, fido and bell. The problem for all of them started after the update to 4.3.
Victoria Marie wrote:

I checked which android version i have and it's 4.3 -- Does anyone here on this forum have an S3?...

I only see people from Telus reporting this issue and some in the US. Don't see bell,fido,rogers??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Victoria Marie wrote:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-canada-bell-telus-rogers/345130-samsung-galaxy-s3-canada-after-recent-4-3-update-phone-fails-call-out.html http://forums.redflagdeals.com/help-samsung-s3-4-3-update-issues-1434776/