Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989D

Samsung galaxy S2 froze up and now won't work tried to pull out battery and put it back in, held the power button, held both volume up and down and tapped the volume down still nothing just a black screen and it vibrates every 2 or 3 seconds any help would be greatly appreciated:-) I can temporary borrow another Galaxy S2 from a friend but it says SIM network unlocked PIN, would you have this PIN so It can see my SIM card?

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sounds like your friend's phone is not from Koodo. Koodo can only unlock phones originally locked to their own network (and even then there are certain conditions that must be met). I'd recommend cellunlocker.net for getting the phone unlocked.
Ok thank you, in the meantime is there anything I can do to fix my phone?
Userlevel 1
Can you give some more details. 1) How long have you had it? 2) DId you install anything, especially custom roms/is it rooted? 3) Did it just finish a charge cycle when you noticed this, how did you last charge it, through a computer or through an electrical outlet? One thing I would check right now is the battery. Is it "fat", can you spin when it is laying flat on a table? Because this happened to my brother, the battery was no good anymore and it looked slightly pregnant. Also, check the white sticker at the top of the battery to see if it indicates any water damage.
1) I've had the phone for about a year now 2) no I haven't installed anything lately and I was in the middle of typing a text when it froze. 3) It was fully charged via electrical outlet and I have tried another battery to see if that was the issue and the same thing happened turns on gets the the Koodo loading screen about a 1/4 into it then goes black and vibrates 2 to 3 seconds. I talked to Samsung and we tried a bunch of things with no luck and they were the ones that suggested I go to a depot to put in a demo battery to see if this might be the issue. I have tried holding down all buttons together and separately even tapped the volume down button and got nothing except the same issue.
Userlevel 1
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

1) I've had the phone for about a year now 2) no I haven't installed anything lately and I was i...

Did you check the original battery indicator for water damage though? Would there be any chance any water or rain got into it recently? You say you tried all sorts of button combinations, but you also say you are able to get to the Koodo loading screen. So let me ask you this, if you hold VOLUME DOWN and then, while holding volume down, press power at the same time, and hold them both, what appears on your screen? It shouldn't be the Koodo loading screen, it should be a warning screen similar to this: http://goo.gl/gdBMd5
Badge +4
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

1) I've had the phone for about a year now 2) no I haven't installed anything lately and I was i...

Humberto, this is not recovery mode, this places the S2x in download mode, this mode is useful when flashing custom recoveries, custom ROM's and firmware to the S2x. You have the right idea, just a mix up with the button combination.
Yes the battery is ok I put it into another galaxy s2 and had no issues with it, no it hasn't come into contact with water and when pressing the volume down and holding it with the power I do get the Warning loading screen however it only stays up for a second maybe two then goes back to the black screen and vibrates every 2 to 3 seconds.
Userlevel 1
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

Yes the battery is ok I put it into another galaxy s2 and had no issues with it, no it hasn't com...

Interesting. Once you get to the warning screen, if you press volume up to actually continue into the recovery mode, does it still shut down? (I assume it will, given that it did at the warning screen, but it's worth a shot) If that doesn't work, have you tried plugging it in and trying to turn it on? It may not be the battery itself, but it may be a problem associated with how it's reading the battery, having it plugged in might bypass this issue and allow it to stay on, which at least would give us some new information.
Hi Humberto, Yes I did try pressing volume up and it did just shut down plus I tried plugging it in and doing everything again with the same results.
Userlevel 1
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

Hi Humberto, Yes I did try pressing volume up and it did just shut down plus I tried plugging it ...

Well that sucks. Looking more and more like a hardware issue. The fact that there is no way to keep it on long enough to do anything, even a simple wipe and reset, is disheartening. You say you've had it for about a year, but if it's less than a year, it should still be under warranty and that might be the next step. If it's more than a year, you may have to have it repaired or just buy a new phone outright. If I come across any additional info I'll post it here (I can't really search much right now, kind of tied up at the moment) perhaps somebody else will recommend something that works, but right now I'm out of options off the top of my head. Maybe try cleaning the connectors to the battery? That's a long shot though, but couldn't hurt. I assume you've looked around online, but if you haven't, it's definitely worth a look (especially xda developers forums). I'm sorry I couldn't help you resolve this Jerry.
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

Hi Humberto, Yes I did try pressing volume up and it did just shut down plus I tried plugging it ...

OK thank you for all of your help and that's what I was afraid of that it could be a hardware things and may end up needing to get a new one... I look forward to hearing any other possibilities if anyone there has anything.
Badge +4
OK gave this a try and it actually went a little further. The time appears to be the same before going to black screen but when Koodo came up with the loading bar below instead of only going 1/4 it went right to the end before black screen and the vibrations started again every 2 to 3 seconds. I really do believe this is a hardware issue since I can't keep things up long enough to do anything. I understand the thinking that it's the battery because in the PC world typically this would be your power supply that could cause this but again I've put the battery in another S2 with no issues.
I did forget a major point I have to keep the battery out other wise it just keeps vibrating every 2 to 3 seconds and no matter what I press nothing happens at all just a black screen and the vibrations, so doing anything you have asked I put the battery back in and without touching the power button it will turns itself on but for everything above I just hold the buttons like you have indicated.
Badge +4
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

I did forget a major point I have to keep the battery out other wise it just keeps vibrating ever...

When placing the battery in the compartment, try holding the combination of buttons as you install the battery.
Badge +4
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

I did forget a major point I have to keep the battery out other wise it just keeps vibrating ever...

This is sounds more like a boot loop issue and not an actual physical defect. Have you tried to update the OS, gain root access or install a custom ROM recently?
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

OK I just tried it 3 times with the same results. I only get about 3 seconds from the time it show's Samsung Galaxy SII to seeing the Koodo with the loading bar at the bottom almost loading but going back to the black screen.
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

I did try and install the OS update but it wouldn't let me and that was about 2 days ago and didn't go back to try again. I haven't installed anything on my phone in about a month and definitely no custom ROMs. I don't use my phone for gaming and things like that just what it's meant for.
Badge +4
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

Did you get an error message from Samsung Kies saying that the device couldn't be updated? Or did you terminate the update because it was taking too long or appeared to be doing nothing?
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

No I didn't get an error and it just shut off I figured it had installed but when I went and looked it did not install.
Badge +4
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

The JB 4.1.2. update takes 26 to 30 minutes to complete. Throughout the update process, both Kies and the S2x will appear as though they're not doing anything. The mistake some people make is to disconnect the device while the update is running in the background, thinking that the update has completed. Sounds like the firmware is corrupt. You're still able to see the Koodo boot image but it stops there. The best option at this point is to flash a clean firmware package to your S2x. Try connecting the device to Kies to see if it detects the device. If it does, you may be able to do an emergency firmware recovery.
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

Your power button is stuck. I know it doesn't feel like it is when you press it, but it is. That's why it turns on and off the vibes.. Thinks you are holding the power button.
Badge +4
Jerry Charbonneau wrote:

Definitely a possibility, good catch James.
My phone is doing the same thing right now, right down to the letter. I managed to get to the recovery screen, but it will not boot, won't reboot, and won't do a factory reset. I would be very interested to know if it actually was a stuck power button. I had received a text, hit the power button to expose the unlock screen, but didn't get through the pattern before it tried to restart. Otherwise, I've had exactly the same experience. I bought my phone on December 12 of last year - just long enough to be past warranty.