Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung galaxy s 2 x wont update to 4.1.2?

I have connected it to kies and it detects the phone however says my firmware cannot update?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Kies is unfortunately a buggy program for software updates. This is why most manufacturers have made OTA updates standard to avoid this issue. As long as you have sufficient battery power it should enable it.
Battery was full, I have the same phone as my husband ans mine updated no issue. His wont load
Userlevel 1
Here is a helpful guide to do it yourself using ODIN software if you aren't having any luck with Kies: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-t-mobile/628449-how-odin-any-stock-rom.html This is a workaround, it will void your warrantly so you do it at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any damage to your phone. Having said that, there usually aren't any problems unless you don't follow instructions or you interrupt the phones connection or the battery fails during the install. Just make sure you read and understand each step before proceeding.
Badge +4
Humberto Giambrone wrote:

Here is a helpful guide to do it yourself using ODIN software if you aren't having any luck with ...

Flashing a factory image onto your device will not void the warranty, you're just using an alternative method to Kies to achieve this. I wrote a similar workaround two months ago. http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/installing_jellybean_4_1_2_when_samsung_kies_wont
I had no luck with any combination of Kies on: Windows7 VM Windows XP Windows Vista Same deal, gf's phone worked, mine didn't. Gave up and went with Odin. TBH I'm not sure the upgrade was worth the hassle.
Badge +4
Andy Mason wrote:

I had no luck with any combination of Kies on: Windows7 VM Windows XP Windows Vista Same ...

The new OS upgrade brings some new features not seen on the previous OS, including an improved and smoother UI and your device is now capable of OTA or over the air updates, when and if they become available.