Koodo Community

Samsung Advanced messaging between carriers

• 14 April 2021
  • 5 replies

I used to have Samsung advanced messaging (texts would send blue rather than green and show as Delivered and Read). However I recently switched from Telus to Koodo, still have my same phone (Galaxy S9) but my advanced messaging is gone. Tried to google how to turn it on and it doesn't seem to even be an option anymore. Is it because I'm with Koodo now that I can't use advanced messaging? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should be able to use it as long as you have a Samsung smartphone running Android 9.0 (Pie) and up with latest Samsung Messages version. To turn it on you’d follow the steps below:

1. Open Messages
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select Chat Features/Settings
  4. Tap or slide the Enable chat features toggle to On

Are you able to do this?

Hi Allan,

That is not an option. 

Settings has no chat feature/settings. There is a More Settings options but that also does not bring up any Enable Chat Features options. After exploring all the areas of my messages setting that is not an option anywhere. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Allan,

That is not an option. 

Settings has no chat feature/settings. There is a More Settings options but that also does not bring up any Enable Chat Features options. After exploring all the areas of my messages setting that is not an option anywhere. 

That is strange indeed. Can you try downloading the Google Messages app and see if you see the chat options in the settings there?

Tried that and no chat settings in there either. However I just uninstalled it as I don't have to have to download any extra apps to get advanced messaging back. I think it must have something to do with switching to Koodo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do your plan have data included and it was enabled?

If possible, I would suggest you reset network settings of the phone and see the option for RCS showing up after that.

Someone in reddit mentioned they had to force stop the app and clear the cache of it and restart. (Settings >> applications (will vary between device manufacturers), select said application, select force stop, tap OK/Yes, go to storage, use "clear data". Hit menu/home, close everything (in the background), relaunch). The problem is: it could clear your messages so make sure you backup your messages to another app first before trying.