Koodo Community

Community

Solved

S8+ Warranty question

Userlevel 6
Hi. I received my Koodo S8+ on the 19th (pre order), and it has the pink display issue that is cropping up all over the Internet. The color adjustment slider makes it less apparent, but there are still pink areas on the very top and bottom of my display. It's bad enough that it's annoying me for a $1000 phone. What are my options for exchanging it for a non defective unit? Does it have to go through Koodo, or can my local Samsung store handle it?

Thanks! 🙂

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Local Samsung store should be able to process the replacement as well. If you ordered your phone online, which you most likely did, then that would be your fastest option since web store isn't open till tuesday. Give the Samsung store a call. You'll know quite fast if they can do it for you.
Userlevel 6
Thanks!
Userlevel 1
It's too bad that s8 has this issue. I am glad I do what I do. I usually wait 6 months to a year after a new phone comes out so that all the bugs get worked out. Like a car. I never buy a brand new car. I wait a year to a year and half so that the person who didn't wait can be the one taking it back for servicing so when I get it most of the bugs are worked out and I get to find out the model to avoid. Silly? Maybe. But for me it works. Lol
Userlevel 6
DJ wrote:

It's too bad that s8 has this issue. I am glad I do what I do. I usually wait 6 months to a yea...

I *mostly* agree with DJ. I used to be of that mindset.
Now I get the phone when I don't need it, most important factor is when there's a smashing deal (generous activation offers, activation credits with Koodo).
I won't use the new phone right away, I'll probably wait it out until one major update rolls in.
Userlevel 6
Yes. People like me who have to be the first one on the block to own the latest gadget pay the price, lol. I have made it 95% better though. If you type #*15987# on the dialer, it takes you to the internal red balance diagnostic screen, and you can knock down the red (independent of the slider adjustments in the display settings).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
But that shouldn't be the case with such expensive phones... Come on Samsung
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

The best part is the new Samsung commercial bragging about their now extensive quality control....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

@Cory Z

*only applies to batteries.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Keep in mind that Samsung has stated they are aware of the issue and will be pushing an update to allow further reduction of the red color. So they may tell you that when returning it. Also there are shortages of the S8 and S8 + so you could be waiting awhile for a replacement especially in the color you've choosen.
Userlevel 6
Yea. I'll wait and give them a chance to fix it. With the dialer code, I have reduced the red to the point that the display is now white. There is still a small band of pink at the very top (about half the thickness of the status bar), and that's what's annoying me. You can see it on every white screen (well, that the very top is white, eg the Samsung Browser).
Userlevel 6
I thought there was an update coming out for this?
EDIT - I just saw that Paul said the same thing
Userlevel 6
Just to update, my display is showing pink at the top and bottom (status bar and buttons) area, which doesn't go away even when I adjust the rest of the display to white. There is also a thin line of pink on the sides. Reading around, it's common and not fixable by software or adjustment. I called the Samsung store and they told me to bring it in for inspection. They'll swap it out if needed. I also asked if they had stock for swapping, and they said yes. So I'll do that Wed night. So, like my Note 7 was, this is a great phone held back only by Samsung's horrid quality control. Bixby is a straight up useless joke though. So far it does nothing. They should have waited until it was ready before baking into their phones.
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

Just to update, my display is showing pink at the top and bottom (status bar and buttons) area, w...

Cory, sounds like you're a serious Samsung user. Just curious, what did you end up doing with the Note 7?
Given your experience with Samsung, would you stick to Samsung or try another brand for your next phone?
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

Just to update, my display is showing pink at the top and bottom (status bar and buttons) area, w...

I had 2 Note 7 devices. I had to send them both back for the recall. Samsung makes great hardware, but their QC and software isn't the greatest.

Just left the Samsung Store, they couldn't exchange it because I didn't buy it there. I'm currently on hold with Koodo for 15 mins and counting. I got through right away, but the rep that answered had to ask someone else what to do for warranty, then transferred me to some other department where I've been sitting on hold.

TBH, I'm pretty done with Samsung. I may swap it for a G6 if I ever get through to another human being...
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

@Cory: thank you for sharing! If you don't mod your phone, then the LG G series may be a good option (can't unlock bootloader). For rooting and ROM's, I'd recommend Lenovorola's (which Koodo seems to carry the best selection). Moto X/Z series have been pretty solid handsets.
For those who stick to Samsung, I'd highly recommend@DJ's advice, to wait until the phone's been on the market for at least six months or has received at least one major Android update. You'll get better support, you won't get the phone if it's been recalled (and you'll be warned of any issues), and you'll get better activation credits on Koodo 😃
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

Lol I have owned A TON of phones of all different brands. Here's a few in the last few years (in no particular order): LG G3 LG G4 Samsung S6 Edge+ ZTE Axon 7 S7 Edge Moto Z Note 7 (x2) Pixel XL (great Phone) I emailed Koodo Web Support. They replied pretty quickly. They are shipping me a new replacement (3-5 days), along with a label to return this defective S8+. I can't argue with that service! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

@Cory: how do you cycle through all these flagships?! Do you go through a 3rd party protection plan (for instance BestBuy)?
I could only dream of cycling through all those phones. I suppose I could take flagship phones, unbox them, then return them within the buyer's remorse just to experience the device (and record it and upload it to youtube)? I don't have time for such a hobby these days, but would be fun.
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

I either buy them outright and then sell them after maybe 6 months, or I just renew early and take the hit. It's an expensive hobby, lol. It's all legit, I have never used buyers remorse. Ironically enough, the only phone I lived enough to keep for a long time was the Note 7, and I had to return that twice for the recall. I have never had an issue selling them to someone I know though, so that helps.
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

@Cory: I buy cheap phones and sell them on Kijiji and LetGo as a hobby (so at least mine puts money in my pocket), plus I do chronic renewals with carrier as well. I tend to stock up on the lower end phones, and keep a flagship Lenovorola's for myself.
Good on you for your network of trusted buyers for flagship phones.
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

I'm cutting back. It rages the wife that I'm changing phones so often, lol.
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

@Cory: I'm not surprised. Hopefully you keep her happy when you sell the phones, or at least buy her awesome phones or the things she likes.
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

Lol she had no interest in phones. I'll have to keep her happy by NOT changing phones any more. It'll be hard though......
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

Seems an innocuous hobby to me. You could be skydiving or rock climbing. Cheaper than a golf membership, too!

Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

I could be doing many other, cheaper things... But I don't want to, lol.
Userlevel 1
Techjunkie wrote:

No tint issues on my s8+ prob it's a small at of devices that got hit, selling my gear vr though don't use it much to keep it