Koodo Community

Community

Solved

S7 Alarm Icon

Userlevel 1
Hello all, Long time lurker, first time question asker (and its such a silly thing) I have a week old Galaxy S7. Running stock 6.0.1., no mods. My alarm icon on the notification bar will not go away no matter what I do. I've checked the alarms. None. I've checked my calendar. Nothing. I have no other apps that would have an alarm. I've restarted the phone, cleared the cache partition (I know prob wouldn't have helped but it didn't hurt haha), I've dug and dug on Google and everything they've suggested hasn't worked - so I turn to the miracle workers on this community. I realize it's such a silly little thing but it's bugging me? I like having a clear notification bar. And I'm trying to avoid the last resort of a factory wipe cause that's just a pain in the butt. So! Any ideas my dear community members? I'm stumped. Maybe another brain will have a suggestion/something I may have missed. TIA 🙂

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello.

Is it a widget? Maybe an application (some suggested Pandora?) Tune in recording schedules? Sleep timer in Tune In? 

Try removing the clock off of one of my home screens.

Quote from another site :

Hi All, I think I may have a solution (at least it worked for me, am on S7 Edge though, and this has been bugging me for ages).

- I had the standard 'Alarm' widget on my homescreen. When I would click in to edit it, it would only show me one alarm. When I turned that alarm off, the Alarm icon was still showing in the task bar. And even worse, randomly the alarm would go off at 6am some mornings. I checked all possible programs and stopped pretty much every service imaginable in Developer Mode. To no avail.

However, this did work for me:

- I turned off my alarm in the existing widget on my home screen
- I created a new, second, Alarm widget somewhere else on my home screens. By default it did not have any alarm on (but the task bar icon still was showing at the top that alarm was set).
- I opened the new alarm, and presto magic, it showed me that I have two alarms available to edit. The one 'real' alarm that I wanted (but is turned off), and the hidden/annoying one with no name which is randomly set for 6am.
- Simply clicked the X to delete the 6am one, and the icon in the task bar disappeared.
- Deleted the second Alarm Widget from my home screen... and life is back to normal!

Userlevel 1
Robert wrote:

Hello.

Is it a widget? Maybe an application (some suggested Pandora?) Tune in recording schedule...

That's actually one of the things I found on Google to no avail. 😞 The only widget I have on my phone is the clock/weather one. I keep things pretty plain Jane tbh. I also don't have apps like Pandora or Tune In or anything like that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What happens if you swipe down from the top of the screen? Do you find a clock app notification of any kind?
Userlevel 1
David wrote:

What happens if you swipe down from the top of the screen? Do you find a clock app notification o...

Nothing at all
Badge +4
Samsung decided to remove the hidden feature System Tuner UI in 6.0.1. where users could add/remove notification icons. Looks like it may be making a comeback in Android N. Navigate to Settings > Backup and reset - scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see three options to reset your device.

Select 'Reset settings'. An explanation of what 'Reset settings' will do appears before you reset the phones' settings. When you've finished reading, tap RESET SETTINGS. Let us know if this resolves the issue.
Userlevel 1
rikkster wrote:

Samsung decided to remove the hidden feature System Tuner UI in 6.0.1. where users could add/remo...

That was a really good idea! But that didn't do the trick 😞
Userlevel 7
rikkster wrote:

Samsung decided to remove the hidden feature System Tuner UI in 6.0.1. where users could add/remo...

Can u please post a screen shot
Userlevel 1
Userlevel 7
rikkster wrote:

Do you have Pandora installed? If so check the settings in Pandora for a possible alarm.
Userlevel 1
rikkster wrote:

No Pandora, No Tune In Radio, no apps that have a sleep timer or anything 😞 thanks though! 🙂
Badge +4
Had Samsung not removed System Tuner UI in 6.0.1, this problem could have easily been resolved. I think a factory reset is in order. Or, if you can wait until Android N rolls out, System Tuner UI is reportedly going to be included in that OS upgrade. I tried looking for a standalone apk over on XDA Developers, no such luck.

Edit: One other option to try is to put your S7 in 'safe mode'. Safe mode will disable all third party apps you have installed. If the alarm clock icon disappears in safe mode, a third party app is at fault and needs to be removed. If the alarm clock icon remains visible in safe mode, then there's a fault with a system app or setting and a factory reset may be required. To get into safe mode:

1. Turn the device off.
2. Press and hold the Power key past the Samsung Galaxy S7 screen.
3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
8. Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turning off safe mode:
Swipe down from the Notifications area and tap the 'Safe mode enabled' notification. Tap Restart Now, to disable Safe mode. The phone will restart and all installed apps will be restored.

If a factory reset is required, use Samsung's Smart Switch to back up the contents of your S7.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/sma...
Userlevel 1
rikkster wrote:

Had Samsung not removed System Tuner UI in 6.0.1, this problem could have easily been resolved. I...

Aha! Safe mode! I wouldn't even have thought of that tbh see this is why I tuned to here! Yeah when I booted up in safe mode the icon went away! So now it's just a matter of figuring out which app is the culprit which will be an adventure seeing as I've had all the same apps for ages and this hasn't happened before lol Thank you!!!!
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Had Samsung not removed System Tuner UI in 6.0.1, this problem could have easily been resolved. I...

You're welcome, Anonymoo. Happy to hear everything worked out!
Userlevel 1
Alright well good news is after literally 3 minutes of playing around with apps after getting out of safe mode (which I'm still annoyed with myself for not thinking of lol) I found the app that was causing all the heartache - my *ahem* Lady Pill Reminder. Not sure why it has an alarm icon on my S7 when it never did on my S6, so weird, but we'll leave that mystery unsolved for now. Thanks again for all your suggestions everyone! I knew a bunch of heads thinking of something would be better than one. Have a great weekend all! 🙂
Whaaaaah, I have been trying to figure out what the hell the problem was. Been trough so many forums and I was actually was heading to the store for help. Then I (finally) found this forum and saw that the Lady Pill Reminder was "it". I deleted it, and there, off it went. Pfff, lol. Thanks!!!

The thing is, I have this phone since Sunday and today was the first day it showed up in the bar. That's weird.
Userlevel 1
Jo wrote:

Whaaaaah, I have been trying to figure out what the hell the problem was. Been trough so many for...

Honestly I've had Lady Pill Reminder for YEARS on an S4, S5, & S6 and never had a problem until now. (And it's really not even a problem it's just annoying lol) I'm just glad my plight helped yours too haha. 🙂 Maybe I'll email the dev and see what's up with the icon all of a sudden? Won't hurt.
Jo wrote:

Whaaaaah, I have been trying to figure out what the hell the problem was. Been trough so many for...

Yea, me too. Used it since 2014 on my S3 and S4. But what I said in my post earlier: the weirdest thing is that the icon didn't show up until now. (Have the phone since Sunday).

Hmm, yea you could email them. Will you let me know if they answered? I deleted the app now and don't want to forget any pills, lol (duh) . I'll keep an eye on this page. Thanks though!
Userlevel 1
Jo wrote:

Wow I just received the quickest response ever from the dev: "Hi, We added this, because this way, reminders are more reliable, and also, users can easily know if reminders are correctly scheduled. But because a lot of users don't like it, we've removed it in next update. You will receive next update in the next hours. Best regards, Sergio."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jo wrote:

They could've had it as an option and avoided the whole hassle.