Koodo Community

Community

Solved

s4 calling audio

Userlevel 3
I'm having problem with my Galaxy S4. Its a great phone its just that I'm having issues with the Audio, I can hear people when I'm on a call but they cant seem to hear me unless I'm on speaker phone. I dont have any audio restrictions on my phone at all. Has anyone had this issue and know how to fix it? I tested my phone by using the voice recording app and I can barely hear myself, I also have the S view cover case.

15 replies

Userlevel 2
Have you had this issue from day 1 or has it started recently?
Userlevel 3
I've noticed it started last week. However I've been using a third party seinheiser headphones with a built mic.
Userlevel 2
Are yo uable to do calls normally without headphones?
Userlevel 3
Im able to make calls its just that the person on the other line cant hear me unless I put my phone on speaker.
Userlevel 2
Then it's an issue with the phone. I recommend sending it away for repair to a Koodo Shop if it's under warranty.
Userlevel 3
Yeah I'll bring it to my nearest koodo tommorow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you accidentally turned anything on in the call audio settings, the adapt sound option ect? Do you have a case on it? If so make sure the tiny microphone pinhole isn't being covered by the case or even plugged with dirt ect.
Userlevel 3
I have the s view cover case and noise reduction on. I'll clean the phone tonight.
Userlevel 2
You mention three things: - You use headphones with a mic: does your audio work well when the headphones are plugged in? If not, this may be a problem with your headphone mic. - You mention that you have a cover: does the cover obstruct or block the microphone holes? If so, this could be causing your audio problem. Also check that the microphone holes are free of dust and moisture. There are two mic holes: the primary microphone is on the bottom near the USB charger. There is another mic at the top of the phone near the headphone jack. - You mention you turned on noise reduction: try turning it off and see if your audio improves. It's possible that the secondary microphone (at the top) is picking up your voice as ambient noise and trying to cancel it as part of its noise reduction feature. See this site regarding mic issues with the S4: http://blog.brokenlcds.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-microphone-problem/
Userlevel 3
The audio on my phone works when im plugged in. Also the Sview cover only covers the screen and doesnt touch the microphones whatsoever. I turned of the noise reduction and I'll test the mic tonight. As for cleaning the mic how would you recommend cleaning the mic?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MohamedAbdourahman wrote:

The audio on my phone works when im plugged in. Also the Sview cover only covers the screen and d...

To clean the mic basically all you can do short of taking it apart is look at the tiny pinhole mics and see if theres any visible dirt or anything covering any if them completely or partially and take off with a fingernail or very carefully with a pin or needle. If there nothing then try blowing short brisk breaths into each hole while holding the device so the hole your blowing into is upside down so dust would fall away from the mic
Badge +4
The acoustic microphone holes are designed in such a way to prevent dust from entering the S4. The holes are in the order of a few microns in size and looking at the devices I have, it appears that many manufacturers have adopted a standard in that the microphone holes are relatively the same size throughout. NEVER using anything like a pin or needle. One; it can distort the microphone hole size. The hole size is critical to the acoustics of the microphone. Two; it could cause damage to internal parts if the pin or needle is inserted too far. Three; a pin or needle is too large to fit in the mic hole to begin with. After reading several articles, it's clear that dust is not the issue and that the issue lies with a faulty noise cancelling microphone. Your best bet is to bring your S4 to Koodo and either send it off for repair or exchange it if the the problem continues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

The acoustic microphone holes are designed in such a way to prevent dust from entering the S4. Th...

I obviously don't mean to stick the needle inside the mic ports I'm not an idiot dude. I mean if dust or something is covering over the mic port and you can't get it off with your fingernail just take a pin and grab what's covering over the port (not sticking it inside the port). I've had to do this before and it worked fine with no need to send the phone for repair that would have just cost money and time because nothing was wrong with the actual phone. It's always best to try to figure out and eliminate possible other issues before just sending a phone for repair because others had a problem that relates to that piece of the phone, sending a phone for repair is the last resort when all other options have been exhausted.
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

The acoustic microphone holes are designed in such a way to prevent dust from entering the S4. Th...

A small piece of clear scotch tape or the bristles of an old soft-bristle toothbrush work well. I wouldn't want to risk scratching the faux chrome plastic bezel. If there's something lodged in the microphone port, it's going in for service/repair. In this instance, it's best that Mohamed take the S4 into a Koodo Shop, replicate the problem in front of a rep and let he or she decide what the next course of action should be. The articles that I've read and the problems that Mohamed's S4 is experiencing are distinctly similar, if not identical. Since many of the troubleshooting ideas had already been suggested, I dug a little further and found that the problem pointed to the microphone. No one suggested a possible problem with the microphone itself and since microphone replacement isn't exactly a typical diy project, the next step would be to have the device looked at.
Userlevel 3
Yeah when I have time I'll bring the device to koodo to have them inspect the unit.