Koodo Community

Community

Solved

S2X won't connect to 4G after Jellybean 4.1.2 update - HELP!!

After doing a back up of my phone last night, it also said there was a phone update which I did and installed Jellybean 4.1.2. Now all it shows is H, sometimes H+ or 3G. Before I did this update I used to show 4G!! Also on network it only allows GSM, WCDMA or AUTO. Also had to find and manually set the APN after much google searching as it wouldn't connect to data either after the upgrade. How do I get 4G back PLEASSSSEEEEEE!!!!

24 replies

Userlevel 7
I believe for JB H+ is 4G on the S2x maybe someone else can confirm but that's what I think from memory.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

I believe for JB H+ is 4G on the S2x maybe someone else can confirm but that's what I think from ...

Yes H+ is 4G basically because true 4g would be LTE which the S2x is not LTE Capable. Do a speed test and youll be getting the same speeds you were getting prior to the update.
H+ would be nice, mainly H and 3G now, never saw anything other than 4G before update. Downloaded speed test and getting 7.0 Mbps down and 0.16 up with full bars, is this good or bad? Also Koodo = Telus should the APN be set to Telus (it had two after the update) or the Koodo one I had to manually set up in order get the phone to work data?? Thanks for the replies and help.
Userlevel 7
avee8tor . wrote:

H+ would be nice, mainly H and 3G now, never saw anything other than 4G before update. Downloa...

Def select the Koodo APN or enter it if it doesn't auto populate.
Since Koodo is Running off TELUS, then I believe some of this could answer the question!!! Telus offers 3 different types of networks, Il mention 2 that applies to you. HSPA - (H) or (4G) This is there core network that deceives a theoretical speed of 21mbs. This network is what your probably receiving. It passes through walls easily and it used by Non LTE areas or Non LTE Devices DC HSPA - (H+) Many of eastern ontario is being re-farmed with an adjustment to there HSPA network. An evolution that delivers a theoretical speed of 42mbs. This networks operates on higher frequenzie that is harder to pass via walls. Which means that your phone might possibly only switch to H+ if it has a strong signal. DO REMEMBER that Bell shares towers with Telus in Ontario and Telus shares towers with Bell in Western Canada. Bell phones show the H+/H symbol for data. So possibly you received Bell settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

Since Koodo is Running off TELUS, then I believe some of this could answer the question!!! Tel...

The last claim is incorrect or very old info before LTE capable device were sold by Bell. My wife's on Bell and here phone shows LTE, it's dependent on the phone not the network. At the same time the network has to offer it in that area or even having an LTE capable device would never show a connection to LTE.
haydenataylor wrote:

Since Koodo is Running off TELUS, then I believe some of this could answer the question!!! Tel...

But Since the S2X doesn't have the bands for the LTE Network (1700/2100), How would this apply to@avee8tor situation. I mention at the top that TELUS/Bell runs 3 different networks, not mentioning LTE.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

Koodo phones show H and H+ as well, it depends on the phone so not getting what the statement Bell shows those so you might have Bell settings means
haydenataylor wrote:

Its just in my previous experience with all the Samsung's, LG's and HTC's that I've owned on the TELUS network. I have never experienced a phone that shows H/H+. Only 4G. However, I might be wrong, new phones, new software, new things can arrive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

Here's a screenshot of my Nexus 5 running on Koodo right now which shows an H and my Note 2 use to show an H+ on Koodo, I think my BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 use to show an H as well.

haydenataylor wrote:

Like I said, 4G on mine, Plus my S3, HTC One and Note 3

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

And I never said that some phones don't show that I just pointed out that it's dependent on the phone not on the carrier.
haydenataylor wrote:

Of course, It al depends on the manufacturer.
haydenataylor wrote:

@Paul Deschamps, Id like to apologize, I feel I was rude in my last couple of post and would like to apologize for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

It's no problem man just trying to teach you something for future reference. Just to add it's based on the model not the manufacturer actually 😉 Have a great day
haydenataylor wrote:

Thanks, its much appreciated 🙂
Userlevel 4
haydenataylor wrote:

Surprised you didn't name drop your site, Paul. I still look at it from time to time 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

Lol no I don't like to do that in that way but if you want to check it out Hayden my website is TeamAndroidCanada.Com
haydenataylor wrote:

aha, Thanks, Do you still update it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

Thanks for checking it out Zaphod I've been very busy and haven't posted anything lately but I'll have some reviews of some devices and accessories coming up soon just getting things figured out in my personal life. So stay tuned
haydenataylor wrote:

I'm actually in the process of buying a new phone in the next couple of weeks. What would you suggest, I have a Gear but am not gearing towards the Samsung. Id like to try another OEM? Perhaps a nexus, lg flex, or HTC M8? Should I wait?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
haydenataylor wrote:

If you have a galaxy gear why wouldn't you get a Samsung as the gear will only work with Samsung phones (unless theirs been an update since I checked it out that allows use with phones other than Samsung). If that's not an issue I would definitely wait to see just what the M8 brings to the table as far as specs because it's a very very awesome looking phone and one that I'm actually very very excited about as I liked the ONE a lot. I liked it but it had some major issues for the way I use a phone as I'm a heavy gamer on my Android devices and the ONE would heat up and cut performance nearly in half after just over an hour of gaming. It also had terrible battery life if your a gamer and the camera IMO was a downfall as the pics it took were) lacking detail, the Galaxy S4 camera IMO blew the HTC ONE camera away. So if the M8 can fix the heat issues that caused performance issues on the One and if it has a 3000mAh or larger battery and they boost the megapixels of the cameras ultra pixel lens then the M8 could be the phone to beat for 2014 very easily. Oh I also hope they don't put that stupid fingerprint scanner on the back. I really like the sense UI HTC has come up with on version 5+ which is surprising because I hated sense before the revamped it for the HTC ONE, I'm even a huge fan of blink feed
Thanks for the replies. Noticed that H is in the house and I get H+ outside more often than not. Finally also got my data to work too after having to find the correct APN settings from another Koodo phone as Future Shop and Koodo looked like dear in the headlights when I explained what it was not doing 🙂 Would have been nice if Koodo had put all this into the update / upgrade seeing as they were the ones who pushed it out for the S2x !!
I seem to only have the 4G one come up. But to your comment avee8tor, Samsung is the one who pushes out the update to Telus/Koodo. I think they simply run over it for testing purposes, and maybe some minor tweaks, but Samsung is responsible for the updates...that'd be why we aren't getting any more on this phone. I've rooted and switched to Cyanogen Mod 10.2, which is a more stock Android 4.3 experience, and honestly, I get better usage out of the S2X with it, and it tends to feel more responsive than the TouchWiz OS that Samsung puts on it, and a LOT less bloat