Koodo Community
Question

Rooting phones illegal?

Show first post

31 replies

Actually, as of this year, in Canada, phone companies will have to unlock your phone at your requ...Not completely true that the cell carriers must unlock the phones. The new CTRC rules come in to effect at then end of this year. That could mean the older contracts are not "grandfathered" into this. Also, the CRTC rules are "non-binding" meaning the carriers are not obliged to follow them.
Userlevel 4
Actually, as of this year, in Canada, phone companies will have to unlock your phone at your requ...From what I understand reading the new terms so far, If a contract is made AFTER december 2nd, the 2 year rule applies. Ones before that date are not applicable to the same rules/guildlines. If a phone is bought outright AFTER that same date, it can be unlocked immediatly at the customers' request.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Actually, as of this year, in Canada, phone companies will have to unlock your phone at your requ...@Yves, so the CRTC Wireless Code of Conduct (when it goes into effect in Dec) is non-binding so the wireless providers can still have phones subsidized over a 3 year contract, refuse to unlock phones that are purchased 100%, etc?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Actually, as of this year, in Canada, phone companies will have to unlock your phone at your requ...So in actuality the consumer will actually not benefit from this decision. What's to stop a carrier from creating two price points, one for new or existing customers and one for ppl who are paying cash for the phone outright and are not customers. I see 6 month contract pricing in our future. IMHO
Userlevel 1
If rooting is illegal, myself and all my friends should be serving multiple life sentences 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If rooting is illegal, myself and all my friends should be serving multiple life sentences :)Just call me the MIUI bandito