Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Rooting phones illegal?

Is rooting koodo phones illegal? Am I allow to do this to my samsung galaxy ace

31 replies

Userlevel 6
It's legality is debatable but it does definitely void your warranty.
Not illegal. Especially in Canada. Although you have no right to the software of the device you do have the choice to remove it from the carriers clutches (bloat ware etc.) It WILL void factory warranty
Userlevel 1
Corey Paulin wrote:

Not illegal. Especially in Canada. Although you have no right to the software of the device you d...

Jailbreaking or rooting their phones is illegal and void warranties but after Dec. 2, 2013 phone owners in Canada won't need to do that anymorephone.
Userlevel 7
Corey Paulin wrote:

Not illegal. Especially in Canada. Although you have no right to the software of the device you d...

ROOTING A PHONE IS NOT ILLEGAL!
Userlevel 1
Corey Paulin wrote:

In Canada! yes Extract from The wireless code: F. Mobile device issues 1. Unlocking i.A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must a.for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date. b.for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request.
Userlevel 7
Corey Paulin wrote:

Which is where we are, and that's not what your comment says.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey Paulin wrote:

JAILBREAKING A PHONE IS NOT ILLEGAL! Cuz I wanna be like Chad. He is my idol 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey Paulin wrote:

@Mat I think you are confusing Jailbreaking/Rooting for unlocking. The 2 are very different things
Userlevel 7
Corey Paulin wrote:

I get emotional.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corey Paulin wrote:

I call that passion! It's great to have passions for things. It means you care
Userlevel 7
Corey Paulin wrote:

THANK YOU! 🙂
Badge +4
The rooting procedure is fully reversible, in that the manufacturer will have no idea the device was ever rooted. If you're new to rooting, the best advice would be to make backups of your current system so that if things go wrong, you can always revert to your backup. Side note: Carrier unlocking your device is still allowed here in Canada, however unlocking a newer device (2013 models and beyond) is now considered illegal in the U.S. In some cases, you may need root access to carrier unlock your device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

The rooting procedure is fully reversible, in that the manufacturer will have no idea the device ...

I use the same reasoning when I jailbreak too. If I reverse it, they wont know I did anything to it
Userlevel 7
Except for some new Samsung phones which have a flash counter but even that can be reset if something goes wrong.
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Except for some new Samsung phones which have a flash counter but even that can be reset if somet...

Galaxy Ace doesn't have one, but very good point all the same.
Chad Burr wrote:

Except for some new Samsung phones which have a flash counter but even that can be reset if somet...

For Samsung Galaxy S devices, there are known ways to achieve root through flashing without triggering the flash counter. I recommend sticking to this method rather than resetting counter.
Chad Burr wrote:

I'll take the chances and eat the phone. They started doing a few things to change the interface I didn't like so I rooted to maintain a stable version 5 kernel on an S5 Neo. It is the version I like best even though the Neo pales in its predecessor's glory and functionality.
Maybe, depends on the company but I have sent my rooted hone to LG due to a hardware issue and they fixed it no problem.
Userlevel 1
This topic has already been discussed last month regarding rooting Koodo phones" http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/to_root_or_not_to_root
Carrier unlocking your device is still allowed here in Canada, however unlocking a newer device (2013 models and beyond) is now considered illegal in the U.S. In some cases, you may need root access to carrier unlock your device. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A White House petition to make unlocking cell phones legal again has passed 1 lakh signature . Passing the milestone means the U.S. government has to issue an official response. On January 26th, unlocking a cell phone that is under contract became illegal in the U.S Just before that went into effect , a petition was started at whitehouse.gov https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-unlocking-cell-phones-legal/1g9KhZG7 to have the Librarian of Congress revisit that decision. 'It reduces consumer choice, and decreases the resale value of devices that consumers have paid for in full. The Librarian noted that carriers are offering more unlocked phones at present, but the great majority of phones sold are still locked,this can be done using any third party vendors like http://www.prounlocking.com .The policy is a big issue for anyone who wants to use their phone abroad, without needing to go through their U.S.' carrier's expensive roaming and international plans. Additionally, anyone who wants to move to a new GSM carrier in the U.S. (such as T-Mobile to AT&T), will have issues. Here is the source http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/04/white-house-phone-unlock
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
piruya wrote:

Carrier unlocking your device is still allowed here in Canada, however unlocking a newer device (...

Rooting and unlocking are two different things.
Actually, as of this year, in Canada, phone companies will have to unlock your phone at your request after 90 days http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/06/03/business-crtc-wireless.html , chalk one up for freedom.
Userlevel 4
Theseventensplit wrote:

Actually, as of this year, in Canada, phone companies will have to unlock your phone at your requ...

Or immediatly if you paid full price for the phone. The fee would still apply for every WPS. This will be as of December 2nd, 2013. Koodo has always had the 90 day policy assuming the account is in good standing
Userlevel 7
Theseventensplit wrote:

Actually, as of this year, in Canada, phone companies will have to unlock your phone at your requ...

I wonder if in the future this might bring about member and mon member pricing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Theseventensplit wrote:

All of our carriers already offered this after 90 days. The only difference is that now they have to do it on the spot if purchasing a device outright.