Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Return Policy ignored

Shame on Koodo to allow The Mobile Shop to have their own return policy. I'm not able to return a new phone after 7 days because the data usage is over 50mb. So disappointed in Koodo for this.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
You should still be able to return it but you'll be responsible for the first months bill as stated in the return policy.

If your usage stays within the limits below, we’ll waive your first bill. If your usage exceeds any one of these limits, you can still return or exchange your phone but you’ll be responsible for your bill. Details on reasonable usage: 30 minutes of talk time (local and/or long distance) 50 text messages (incoming and outgoing) 50 MB data

Source: http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/what-is-your-15-day-money-back-guarantee
Here is the return policy from The Mobile Shop..... Device Return Policy: We want to be sure you are completely satisfied, that is why all our devices come with The Mobile Shop Satisfaction Promise. This allows you to try your new device for up to 14 days, and if you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase you can bring it back for a full refund. All returns are subject to the terms of the carrier Service Agreement and subject to carrier approval. The product must be returned in like new condition, to the same location where it was originally purchased, in its original packaging, including all accessories, manuals, promotional material and all bonus/promotional items .gift cards, coupons, etc.) within 14 days from the date of activation with less than 30 minutes of airtime and less than 50Mb of data used.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Diana S. wrote:

Here is the return policy from The Mobile Shop..... Device Return Policy: We want to be sure y...

I think your beef here is with the mobile shop. Clearly Koodo will allow it, but the retailers is not. You can show them the Koodo policy but I'm not sure how successful you'll be. You could also try to call Koodo customer service but I'm not sure there is much they can do
Userlevel 1
Diana S. wrote:

Here is the return policy from The Mobile Shop..... Device Return Policy: We want to be sure y...

Will I have contacted thim thay sed thay know a bout the problem this is not good?
Diana S. wrote:

Thanks for the responses, I have also contacted The Mobile Shop via email, but don't expect anything different, if it's a CRTC ruling. It would have been nice if the Mobile Shop explained the differences in detail between Koodo and their own policy. It's tough when you live in a smaller town where you don't have all the same retailers as larger cities. That's a 300 dollar mistake on my part, glad it wasn't a more expensive phone.
Userlevel 6
Diana S. wrote:

If you live in a small town, where everyone knows everyone, wouldn't make sense for the Mobile Shop not to cause a big fuss over a thing like this? Have you talked to the manager?
Diana S. wrote:

When I first went in to discuss the return of the phone with a Salesman, I asked him to call Koodo, he took his cordless phone and went away from me to place the phone call, when he came back he passed the phone to me and said the Koodo Rep needs my PIN number, I took the phone and asked who I was speaking to, she identified herself and asked if she could speak to the sales person on my behalf, which I agreed to and gave the phone back to the Salesperson. The Salesperson then left me alone again while he was on the phone to Koodo, later he came back he said the data was over the 50mb limit and nothing can be done. I regret allowing him to have the entire conversation about my situation and I didn't hear any of it. Did he really call Koodo....how did that conversation go? Yes, I spoke to the Manager, he wasn't too interested in good customer service, he said the return rule had something to do with "sanitary" purposes. I don't think so. I have emailed The Mobile Shop and I mentioned I might post something on Social Media.
Userlevel 5
Based off section G of the wireless code it seems that it is legal for The Mobile Shop to have that policy. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm I also agree with Dennis, this is entirely the Mobile Shops policy. Since you bought the phone from them and not Koodo it has little effect. It'd be like being upset with Apple because you don't like Best Buys return policy for the iPad.
Userlevel 3
Jorden wrote:

Based off section G of the wireless code it seems that it is legal for The Mobile Shop to have th...

"Section G-4 trail period" is all in reference to the contract and the limits in place are set by the carrier and not the retailer, so the Mobile shops self imposed limits are not a valid reason to refuse returns It is not a limit on device returns just service trail periods
For the last few days I've been in communications with the Head Office of Loblaws, for The Mobile Shop, while the fellow was very nice and seemed concerned about the situation, they would not allow me to return the phone. BUYERS...please beware of the fine print, they don't have the same return policy as Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Diana S. wrote:

For the last few days I've been in communications with the Head Office of Loblaws, for The Mobile...

Wow... good to know, thanks for the warning Diana!
Userlevel 3
As I'm sure you're aware by this point their return policy is setting 2 different standards by stating that "All returns are subject to the terms of the carrier Service Agreement and subject to carrier approval" then adding the limiter of "within 14 days from the date of activation with less than 30 minutes of airtime and less than 50Mb of data used." These are not the carriers terms as stated above by chad, going over only leaves you on the hook for the service not the device. the best thing to do would be to point this out as the limitation they added which ignores their initial statement. Have you contacted Koodo directly to see if they would be able to provide some form of approval for the return that could be provided to the store? There return policy on their site is either generic for all carriers, has a typo or is flat out invalid.As again the service usage should not prevent you from returning the device. The usage limit is put in place to test the service not as a device return limit. Best of luck to you
Userlevel 7
Having previously worked for the The Mobile Shop, I can say Boolanger is right. You should point it out to them and ask for your exchange. If not, make a CRTC complaint and see what happens. The only carrier I've dealt with that has caused a stink about returning a phone/upgrade was Rogers for an Ativ S last year. The lady went over 30 mins (about 100 over, it's her only phone) but I offered the exchange anyway. I went into the portal and it said "This CTN has exceeded 30 mins of usage. They are not eligible to reverse this hardware upgrade." I called and they said too bad, so sad. Then she proceeded to get mad at me even though Rogers was the one causing the stink... You're having the opposite scenario. Good luck!
Thanks for the comments Boolanger and Johnathan. I will try to contact the head office again.
Userlevel 3
Diana S. wrote:

Thanks for the comments Boolanger and Johnathan. I will try to contact the head office again.

If you are not already, I would call into Koodo and make them aware of exactly what the situation is. While this is not their direct issue to resolve, if the 3rd party retailers they use are enforcing incorrect return policies on their customer it may be something they would want to look into and help you resolve. As I'm guessing the retailer is blaming Koodo for not being able to return the device.
Koodo customer service has explained to me that since my data went over within the 15 days. I can't return the phone at all. The billed about would be the entire cost of the phone ($300).
Userlevel 6
Diana S. wrote:

Koodo customer service has explained to me that since my data went over within the 15 days. I can...

That's not what it says here. http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/what-is-your-15-day-money-back-guarantee