Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Return Mailer doesn't offer a loaner phone?

Userlevel 1
I bought a Moto E 6 weeks ago on the Tab. I have been having problems with the earpiece speaker not working among other things. I have done a factory reset and tried other fixes that haven't worked. It needs to be repaired under warranty but I live 3 hrs away from the closest Koodo store and therefore need to use the Return Mailer. Since Koodo doesn't offer a loaner phone via the Return Mailer, my only other option is to use my old Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. But... it needs a new big-style SIM card and Koodo won't mail me one as they don't mail "accessories". From what the phone rep told me, my options are to go without a phone while my Moto is fixed, or hold onto it until I get a chance to get to the nearest Koodo store. This is obviously ridiculous, surely there is a better solution out there?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Those really are your only options unless Koodo decides to make special accomidations for you. You could also go to Best Buy or other retailer to get a sim card
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Research the exact size required then try finding a SIM eBay.ca or Amazon.ca. That will put you out of pocket just a few bucks. Do a SIM change on-line when it arrives for your old back-up handset, then send in your phone for repair. In the meantime, maybe you can tough using the speaker in hands-free mode.

Koodo does themselves no favors at all by refusing to ship SIMS at least to current customers with an account.

Alternatively, you could use a SIM adapter temporarily and avoid doing any changes on-line. Here's a starting point:

http://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-3-Piece-Micro-Adapter-Eject/dp/B00AR1M7DK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=143...
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Research the exact size required then try finding a SIM eBay.ca or Amazon.ca. That will put you o...

Thanks, this looks to be the solution. I don't think I should be out of pocket due to Koodo policies, but I guess Koodo disagrees. And yeah, I've been answering the phone only on speaker phone.
Userlevel 1
Ahmad wrote:

Those really are your only options unless Koodo decides to make special accomidations for you. Yo...

There are no Best Buys or SIM retailers around either.
Userlevel 1
So it's agreed, this is ridiculous. What I can't understand is that Koodo will send you an empty box to send back a phone, but won't send you an envelope with a SIM in it? Why not send SIM cards? I'd cancel my account on principle, but I now owe on the Tab for a broken phone. 
Userlevel 7
NM wrote:

So it's agreed, this is ridiculous. What I can't understand is that Koodo will send you an empty ...

The issue is that all the stock is kept at retailers. Since Koodo does not have any e-commerce at all at the moment, they probably are not keeping much of anything at their center. You can buy a card right here on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Koodo-Regular-LTE-Sim-Card-/191418084534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2...

As for cancelling your account, If you don't have a store that sells Koodo phones within a 3 hour radius, I highly doubt you will find much of any other carrier within the same radius, but good luck with whatever you choose.
Userlevel 1
NM wrote:

So it's agreed, this is ridiculous. What I can't understand is that Koodo will send you an empty ...

You can buy a phone online, but not a SIM. Seems to me it would be much easier to send a SIM. I was told yesterday that loaner phones are mailed with the return mailer, today I was told that Koodo no longer does this. I'd be less angry right now if I wasn't told I could get a loaner phone.

The issue is not that I can't find a store that sells Koodo phones within 3 hrs, it's that there isn't a Koodo store that takes back phones under warranty. There is a store that sells phones a mere 125 kms away, so I guess they might sell SIMs too. Still hugely inconvenient.

As far other carriers go, there is a Telus dealer in town and most other carriers have a store in the town 125 kms away. Koodo seems willing to offer online service and mailing to your door if you sign up and buy online, but if you have problems you're on your own. Does it seem reasonable to anyone that if I didn't have a back-up phone, I would have to send back a phone and have no phone service whatsoever while it's repaired? 
Userlevel 7
NM wrote:

Heres the thing though, you cannot buy a phone online at the moment. Go, give it a try. Won't let you.
Userlevel 1
NM wrote:

Weird, how long has that been going on? I did buy the phone when I was in the city 6 weeks ago, but have no plans to go back any time soon. Every other phone I bought from Koodo was online.
Userlevel 7
NM wrote:

Ever since they upgraded their website, there has been no e-commerce
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NM wrote:

And many partner dealers (Walmart, Best Buy) no longer carry SIMS. To be sure before making the trip, you have to leave a message on the voicemail of the nearest Koodo boutique and they will get back to you.. most of the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NM wrote:

Nelson, if I may give you a call tomorrow, I will do my best to find a fix for the challenges. Is that ok?
Userlevel 1
NM wrote:

Ya, sounds good.
Userlevel 5
Did you use your old Ace 2 with Koodo and does it still have the old Sim? If it does you should be able to reactivate the old Sim if it was used on the same phone#
Userlevel 1
Update: Still haven't received Return Mailer! I talked with Bernard, the rep who posted above and he agreed to send a SIM card which I received a couple weeks ago. However, the Return Mailer box was never sent. I just called Koodo again, and they are now finally sending me the box. So, just one more week and I should get the box and then only 15 more days to get my phone fixed. Well done Koodo!