Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Replacement SIM card service is patchy at best

I got a Galaxy S6 to replace my old phone, and had to go get a new SIM card activated for it because it's a different size from my old one. The fellow at the kiosk threw it in, fired it up, and everything seemed fine. At first I thought it was just switching over, but it's been about 4 hours and the service keeps cutting in and out. I'll be able to send texts and get calls one minute, and then nothing the next. The thing is it still says that it's connected to Koodo's network so I have no way of knowing when it's acting up. It doesn't say SIM card removed or anything, but if I open an internet app it says I have no network connection. I keep getting messages online from people who have tried to call me, and then I get notifications on my phone half an hour later. Is this just the activation process being weird or what?

6 replies

Badge +4
Hi Timothy, Try restarting your phone, (power off completely, then power back on). If that doesn't work, try the methods listed below. Go to Settings > Mobile networks > Network operators and select Search networks. Wait approximately 15 seconds and when Koodo appears, select it. A message 'Registered on network' will appear. This refreshes the connection to the network. In the same 'Mobile networks' window, tap Access Point Names. In the upper right corner of the screen, tap More, then tap Reset to default. This removes any added APN's (if applicable) and resets the Koodo SP APN to its default settings. If running Android 6.0, go to: Settings > Back up and reset - scroll down to and tap Reset network settings. Tap Reset Settings > Reset Settings. This procedure will reset all network settings including those for: Wi-Fi, cellular data and Bluetooth. Keep us posted.
When I try to get it to search for networks, it just spins and spins for minutes and nothing pops up. Tried all the remaining steps - nothing changed. *EDIT - Tried it again. Seems to have worked for now
Userlevel 1
Timothy Gadzella wrote:

When I try to get it to search for networks, it just spins and spins for minutes and nothing pops...

Its samsung i had a note 2 and it acted like that sent it in numerous times still had the same issue warranty expired and koodo or samsung left me withba nonworking phone . Samsung has proven it self. With their battery issues
So it looks like resetting the connection is only a temporary fix. It only works for about 5 minutes, then disconnects itself again.
Badge +4
Timothy Gadzella wrote:

So it looks like resetting the connection is only a temporary fix. It only works for about 5 minu...

Is signal strength strong where you're located? How many bars do you see when the phone connects to Koodo? Have you tried moving to other parts of your home to see if signal strength improves? Does signal strength improve outdoors? If your seeing low or no signal strength readings or there's no change in signal strength whether you're indoors or out, I would suspect a faulty SIM card. Rare, but it happens. Or worst case, there's a possible hardware issue with the phone. I don't think the activation process would play a role in this, but I could be mistaken. I think your best option is to head back to the Koodo kiosk and show someone there the problem. If it turns out to be a defective SIM card, you should be able to get a replacement. If you just bought the phone from Koodo, you have 15 days from the date of purchase to exchange the phone or get a full refund.
Userlevel 1
Timothy Gadzella wrote:

So it looks like resetting the connection is only a temporary fix. It only works for about 5 minu...

Its samsung i had a note 2 and it acted like that sent it in numerous times still had the same issue warranty expired and koodo or samsung left me withba nonworking phone . Samsung has proven it self. With their battery issues