Koodo Community

Community

Solved

renew phone. I wanted to upgrade my phone but I was told in the store that I have to wait 3 months

I visited WOW boutique to upgrade my phone. The rep told me I'll have to pay my tab balance immediately using credit card. I accepted. The rep called koodo cust serv to continue the renewal process. Koodo cust serv told wow rep that your client cannot upgrade because he just bought a phone 1 month ago, he should wait 3 months to upgrade his device. In the contract it's clearly indicated that I can upgrade my device anytime. So who's wrong? Koodo or contract?

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Try a different store.
You are allowed to upgrade anytime.

I tried a different store. They said the same ! I don't mind give you locations of the 2 stores I contacted if you want. It's strange that I want to pay off my tab an upgrade my phone and I'm denied to do that simply because I have to wait 3 months
Userlevel 7
I believe Robellus had policies like this when I worked in that industry, but I don't recall ever running into this issue with Koodo. The rep shouldn't even be worrying about claw back to their commissions because you're not leaving or cancelling. This might be a new policy or something I'm not aware of.
Userlevel 6
Hi George,
Try visiting a Koodo Shop. Unless you want to unlock your phone, you will have to wait 90 days. But for renewals, you should be able to renew anytime as long as you clear out your existing tab balance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@ George, just curious, was there something you didn't like about the phone you just recently bought? 
@Bernard,Yes I found it's somewhat laggy. I wanted to give it to a member in my family.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SNAFU.

Some newer phone transactions involving activation credits or.gift incentives require you to hold on to a plan for 90 days, since there are serious credits to be had by going on the tab vs an outright cash transaction. This is new doublespeak for subsidizing the phone purchase.

Otherwise, anyone wanting to buy a prepaid phone could scoop up the bargains, cancel the next day and pay a third party to unlock.

I can especially understand this policy if the new phone you want is also subsidized, otherwise some folks could run a private business out of daisy-chaining these purchases and undercutting the retail phone providers.

Not by any means an official Koodo answer, but I believe that's the gist of it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

SNAFU.

Some newer phone transactions involving activation credits or.gift incentives require yo...

You are right Bob. There are folks who will try to take advantage of certain situations. That's why we have "clawbacks", meaning that we charge back the credits if a cancel occurs in less than 90 days from activation. It's in the agreement people sign, not hidden at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

SNAFU.

Some newer phone transactions involving activation credits or.gift incentives require yo...

It would be nice if Koodo put this info on the "your order" page.(the page after you click "Add to Cart")

It's showing about policy/rule of bonus.gift. This new policy/rule info for "Activation credit" should be there too, IMO 🙂