Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Recommend a calendar with alarms for Android

Is there a calendar with alarms that work with android? I use what is available but i haven't been able to keep an appointment. Also Facebook is asking to go through my phone contacts. Same as gmail . How can i stop Google and Facebook from stealing my private phone numbers.

8 replies

Try business calendar. It has popups... Vibrations and alarms for any event. And it connects to your Facebook or other business apps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can trust Google & it's actually recommended to use Google to store your contacts, that way if you ever change phones you can just log into your Google account when setting up your new phone and it will sync all your contacts to your new phone instantly. When logging into Facebook make sure you don't mark off the option to sync your Facebook contacts because it's annoying as hell, especially if you have a bunch of ppl that you don't have any other contact info for or care to. Google Calendar is good and will alert you when you have an appointment if you set it up to. when entering an appointment just select to have your phone alert you. You can also use your alarm clock if you don't have too many appointments.
Userlevel 1
The silent harvesting of data from from your phone by the Facebook app on your phone really scares me, so much so that I choose not to use it and am considering discontinuing my Facebook account entirely. I'm sure it asks permission when you install it but a friend of mine had it silently harvest his contacts and then it suggest his girlfriend as suggested friend to his wife! 🙂 and he never gave it permission as it simply came with the phone (so he didn't install it, just logged in). It is rumoured it also looks at your recent call history and tries to match that up with other Facebook profiles by phone number. Best calendar app is Gmail's calendar (I use Google Apps for business which isn't free but gives me a lot more value than it costs). Nothing integrates as well with Google's Android OS as Google. Not only does it offer flawless email but also sync with your contacts and calendar as well as backing up this data. Some people have concerns about privacy with Google also but I guess when you are using the paid version of Google Apps for business you are no longer the product that is being sold and all the adds in Gmail go away (in fact you get to replace the Google logo with your own and even use your own domain name).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

The silent harvesting of data from from your phone by the Facebook app on your phone really scare...

The Facebook app is fine and won't do anything like that if you don't allow it to. When you sign in there are first 2 boxes checked off well unchecked them then proceed to the next screen and click on the 3rd selection of the 3 that show up and proceed now it won't do anything with your info from your phone.
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

The silent harvesting of data from from your phone by the Facebook app on your phone really scare...

Sorry KID ANDROID but I just can't bring myself to trust Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. They have a long history of doing as they please with regard to privacy and of course my friend almost ended up divorced because he failed to uncheck a check box that was checked by default? Most people that don't know better just accept the "default" selections. Ok, so we will blame that on him (for having a girlfriend and being married at the same time) but the data harvesting and then dissemination was done by Facebook and he didn't understand his very future for the rest of his life depended on that check box being unchecked when he pressed "next" or "login" (leaving it checked). I choose not to judge him (until I have walked a mile in his shoes) but all of a sudden everyone's locked down private Facebook profile was magically public? Mine sure was. How can we be sure what data the Facebook app is really collecting or what future use it will be put to? If you read their terms of service (and I have) they clearly tell you they own you and everything you do. The only way to not agree to their terms is not to use their service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

I don't get where you get that Facebook is taking your data to do something evil with? The issues that arise from anything are only the person using its fault just like the rest of the Web. There is no need to be worried about anything but to each their own.
i don't use any cloud services. i want my info to stay on my laptop or phone. Google has followed Microsoft and mac in that they all collect your info. yes can trust Google.........to sell and use any information they can get from you. the only thing i Google for gmail and i look at g+ out of curiosity . i use duck duck go for searching now and i get way more useful info. now if duck.duck go would make an email program i would use that as well.in the end i want to control my computers not have proprieatory programs that try and control me.
Honestly, Google only take information from you to better provide you with advertising that meets your habits/likes. They don't steal personal information, and Facebook also for that matter. Those types of accounts are as private as you want to make them. ALL tech companies in some way or another collect different types of data...crash dumps, analytics, etc,...and typically they either list them up front or in the EULA/TOS. But either way, these companies typically just record technical information that doesn't invade your privacy...and even if they did, the privacy watchdogs and security tech-heads would have found that out by now and ousted them quite loudly. Also, if you're looking for an anonymous type email service, I heard http://tormail.org/ is a good one. Reccomended by Steve Gibson of the Security Now! podcast on the TWiT network