Koodo Community
Solved

Really not happy with the ID restrictions


My phone is now officially dead and i need a replacement. I have more than enough on my tab to get a new phone, but the kiosks won't let me because I do not have photo ID they approve of. I have multiple documents and corroborating photo IDs that do work (enough to let me vote, but not get my phone, apparently). I do not have the money to get a new form of ID at for awhile. Is there anything that can be done?

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
May I ask what ID specifically you do have?
photo health card, University Id, Sin number, credit card, birth certificate and recent bank statement proving my current address
not to mention the phone on the bill
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

What kiosk did you go to?
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

two separate ones - one the Koodo kiosk in White Oaks mall, and the second the Wal-mart attached to the same mall
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

What ID did you show to start your service in the first place?
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

exactly what I had. I haven't driven in a decade, so my ID hasn't changed much
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

I've reached out to our Liason to see what can be done. I'll get back to you or they will.
Userlevel 6
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

The people at the Kiosk have no say in the matter.
You have to have proper photo ID.
If you don't drive, then you would be best off to get a provincial photo ID.
The purple card that looks like a license but isn't.
Health card is not supposed to be accepted anywhere you go as photo ID.


Userlevel 6
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

Sorry that's an old version of the photo.
Now any passport will work, doesn't have to be Canadian.
and the new citizenship cards work too.
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

It is ridiculous to go that hard line on a policy. I get the health card issue, and I get wanting to make accounts secure, but when I have more than enough proof of who I am, as I did, it's a little absurd. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

Mitchel, Koodo frowns on sharing the actual internal pages here. Just a heads up.
Userlevel 6
Kim wrote:

not to mention the phone on the bill

whoooooops.
My apologies.
Thanks for heads up
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Kim, you're not going to like this but apparently the ID you hold now isn't good enough. You're going to need to get a piece of ID as described above to get what you want from a kiosk. On the plus side it's probably not a bad thing to have a government issued ID card. Sorry I could not be of more help but these policies are in place to protect you and Koodo. Good Luck.
Yeah, that doesn't help at all right now. This protects nothing. 
It also ensures that I am done with Kodoo
Userlevel 6
Kim wrote:

It also ensures that I am done with Kodoo


I have worked for bell and rogers before and they require the same pieces of photo ID. It takes 10 minutes to get a photo ID made at service ontario. This will not be the only time you are asked for proper ID in your life. It is a good idea to have a proper one!!
Kim wrote:

It also ensures that I am done with Kodoo

Unfortunately the Ontario Health Card is not considered Photo ID - despite the fact that it has a picture on it.  With what you have now you wouldn't have a problem getting a Photo ID Card (the purple card) they take about 2 weeks to come in the mail.
Userlevel 7
Just curious, why dont you take the time to get proper ID? You'll keep having problems like this in the future if all you have is a health card as photo ID
Userlevel 5
Ahmad wrote:

Just curious, why dont you take the time to get proper ID? You'll keep having problems like this ...

you have a Koodo Account, but can't get a replacement phone, because you have no proper ID So how did you come into possession of the Koodo Account to begin with?
Ahmad wrote:

Just curious, why dont you take the time to get proper ID? You'll keep having problems like this ...

Because they've changed their policy since then. You can order a phone on koodomobile.com/selfserve with a credit card(no charge),which is what I did since I don't have a driver's licence and my passport is expired (currently waiting on new one). They shipped the phone to the WRONG address for some reason, it was returned to sender, tab reversed, so I tried to order it again. Well, due to 'security reasons' I can't use the same credit card for 30 days!! Grrrrr I'm so mad with Koodo right now. I've done 3 phone upgrades in 8 years. I was told by customer service over the phone today that since I'm an active customer I can go to a kiosk/store with any photo ID plus SIN card and credit card and get the upgrade. If they say no I'm cancelling my account and becoming a secondary user on my boyfriends Bell account. This has been the week from hell dealing with this company.
What I find most perplexing about this issue is that it appears one can purchase a phone online without one of the requisite photo IDs?
Protection? ...Huh?
Userlevel 7
Alyssa Lake wrote:

What I find most perplexing about this issue is that it appears one can purchase a phone online w...

When buying a phone online on your account you must be able to sign into self serve, which on it's own is a way of verifying you are who you say you are.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Alyssa Lake wrote:

What I find most perplexing about this issue is that it appears one can purchase a phone online w...

I do believe your need to provide a payment card and the billing and shipping address have to match.
Userlevel 7
Alyssa Lake wrote:

What I find most perplexing about this issue is that it appears one can purchase a phone online w...

I don't think so Chad. When I ordered a phone online, I had an alternate address set, they still let the credit card go through... 

Reply