Koodo Community

RCS PLZ?

• 27 September 2018
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 2
For real I'm a little dumbfounded Koodo (or Telus) haven't jumped on RCS yet. Why have we still not heard a timeline of when this will happen? Does anyone know something I don't? It's been almost 2 years since the universal launch of RCS!

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would imagine it'll be released to Telus first, and then Koodo... if they decide to adopt the protocol 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I just suppose Telus isn't bothering. Rogers got it nearly 2 years ago and bell 1.5 years ago.

You won't hear anything until if the day comes that it is imminent.
Userlevel 4
For real I'm a little dumbfounded Koodo (or Telus) haven't jumped on RCS yet. Why have we still not heard a timeline of when this will happen? Does anyone know something I don't? It's been almost 2 years since the universal launch of RCS!

CRTC or competition bureau should step in and give these guys a smack across the head first of all VoLTE light years behind the competition and now RCS. For god sakes how about taking some initiative for once instead of doing nothing until enough customers have to complain to make positive change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For real I'm a little dumbfounded Koodo (or Telus) haven't jumped on RCS yet. Why have we still not heard a timeline of when this will happen? Does anyone know something I don't? It's been almost 2 years since the universal launch of RCS!CRTC or competition bureau should step in and give these guys a smack across the head first of all VoLTE light years behind the competition and now RCS. For god sakes how about taking some initiative for once instead of doing nothing until enough customers have to complain to make positive change.

It's not something either agency would get involved in as they're features and companies don't have to add them if they don't wish to . If you want them then just go elsewhere your always free to leave. The average customer could care less about these features which is why we see so many new customers coming to koodo that Koodo can't even keep up with the added traffic to CS or the webstore .... Theres no need for Koodo to rush to offer these unfortunately
Userlevel 2
I agree on the first point that no outside sources will get involved and that this decision is totally up to Telus/Koodo. I feel like the reason customers don't care is because of the lack of knowledge of what RCS actually is. A universal and cross platform way to message is something many customers want but don't have access to unless they're an apple device user. Telus is a known carrier to back and support RCS along with so many carriers across the world. From what I've seen they're one of the only big North American carriers to still not launch this service which to me shows a lack of commitment to future proof this company. Leaving for another carrier wouldn't resolve this problem in order to make this service truly universal all the carriers who committed need to commit or else this standard wouldn't be complete.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In most countries WhatsApp rules. There are many (in my eyes) better alternatives such as Telegram that do the job and require very little data. As far as I am concerned all carrier supported chat methods should die already, I'd never use them anyway with my family overseas 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Last I checked, which I’ll admit has been a while, there was not a standard implementation of RCS, which may be why Telus has held back. It would be great if there was one cross-carrier standard which ‘just works’ without the need to install a particular app.
Userlevel 2
In most countries WhatsApp rules. There are many (in my eyes) better alternatives such as Telegram that do the job and require very little data. As far as I am concerned all carrier supported chat methods should die already, I'd never use them anyway with my family overseas :)
Whatsapp does seem to rule for most people but it's just another app to me. That with Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Allo I can't keep up. Having one built in app to rule them all is what I dream of. Standard texting with the ability group chat is all I need.
Userlevel 2
Last I checked, which I’ll admit has been a while, there was not a standard implementation of RCS, which may be why Telus has held back. It would be great if there was one cross-carrier standard which ‘just works’ without the need to install a particular app.
To my knowledge it's currently built into the standard android messages app and if RCS is enabled by your carrier the features are automatically available to you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This topic always brings to mind this classic xkcd comic: https://xkcd.com/927/
Now Freedom is getting RCS rolling out. Koodo is so behind that even Freedom was faster to adopt it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Now Freedom is getting RCS rolling out. Koodo is so behind that even Freedom was faster to adopt it.

That's disappointing 😞
does Koodo/Telus even care about what anyone posts on here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
does Koodo/Telus even care about what anyone posts on here?
They read what people post. Up to them at the end of the day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Last I checked, which I’ll admit has been a while, there was not a standard implementation of RCS, which may be why Telus has held back. It would be great if there was one cross-carrier standard which ‘just works’ without the need to install a particular app.To my knowledge it's currently built into the standard android messages app and if RCS is enabled by your carrier the features are automatically available to you.

So many points of failure. It would have been so much simpler were it centralized, and not needing the carriers to implement anything.
It will come soon. But Telus will get it first. I think RCS will come faster than WI-FI Calling and VoLTE. Hang tight.
RCS is a joke. It only works for the carrier your with. It does not work Roger's to Bell or Any carrier to any other carrier. So if it ever does work. It will only be exclusive to Koodo. It the same with VoLTE. HD is awsome and sound cleaner. I do get VoLTE when calling other people on different networks but it isn't in HD
RCS is inevitable . It’s just the waiting game now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I suppose so but there was no need to necro an old thread just to say "RCS sucks."
RCS is a joke. It only works for the carrier your with. It does not work Roger's to Bell or Any carrier to any other carrier. So if it ever does work. It will only be exclusive to Koodo. It the same with VoLTE. HD is awsome and sound cleaner. I do get VoLTE when calling other people on different networks but it isn't in HD
Userlevel 2

I'm curious which provider you're with? To my knowledge Rogers and Freedom have RCS implemented properly and Bell has some fake advance messaging thing. So in that could be your problem. Although I've lost most hope in this tbh. The rollout seems to be the biggest joke. I'm sure if it was actually implemented properly by all these carriers it would be a different story for all of us.
Userlevel 1
Right now we get unlimited SMS and MMS if you use an Andriod phone. If they implement RCS will it also be unlimited (free with your plan) or will it be using your data like sending imessages is with Apple IOS iphones?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Far as I know it uses data. Not that I'd be concerned with most messages just using bytes.
Userlevel 1
You are very correct in the SMS part of the deal. Where I get concerned is that we are also getting free MMS that means we can send a picture via the SMS message system. Now that is not bytes of data. It is the part that most don't know about.

I have an Andriod phone so I can send my wife a picture to verify if that is what she wants when sent on some grocery search. I can send my daughter a funny mime. All get covered in the free part of SMS/MMS so my data gets to stay really low.

I am quite happy not to have RCS as I think it will just kill off all the free included parts of the plan, and just ending costing us far more to get equivilent to what we have now. Now if Koodo wanted to drop the phone plan prices to be more in line with Europe, Australia, or most of the rest of the world then I wouldn't mind.
First off, RCS works across carriers (just like SMS and MMS works across carriers). Secondly it is a protocol that any default SMS app can use. So no need for a "new messaging app", eventually all the texting apps will use it (if they support SMS and MMS, they will add RCS to it as well). Currently the default Google Messages (default SMS app for most people with a phone) supports SMS/MMS/RCS. So the vast majority of people already have it. Eventually it'll be like iMessage, except cross platform. Why would consumers be against that? Unless your an Apple Fanboy and think your iMessage may die.
As for Telus still not supporting it... I can not see why they don't want to. Maybe they are concerned about SMS plans dieing, and losing that sms revenue of their plans... or are being bought by Apple to postpone deployment? But yea if either case is true, CTRC can easily get involved. A Telecommunication company can't willingly/purposely hold back a technology so they can charge customers unfair SMS/MMS plans as long as they can. I'm sure that's against some CRTC Fair trade rule.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/07/02/google-rcs-telus-koodo/
They quietly tested a small rollout in July but no news since