Koodo Community
Question

RCS is coming, but when

• 9 September 2019
  • 20 replies

Back in July, Mobile Syrup reported that some Koodo/Telus user had a brief glimpse of RCS on their devices ( h )ttps://mobilesyrup.com/2019/07/02/google-rcs-telus-koodo/ )
That was more than 2 months ago. haven't heard anything since... If they are working on it, could they provide an ETA for the rollout? It shouldn't be so hard if Bell, Rogers and Fido have it out since almost 2 years

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The pixel devices I believe are the only official ones as of right now but I've heard of others who have recieved it on different phones as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have received something on my S10+ but I'm not sure that's it. How would I go for checking?
Tried to get it on my Samsung A8 and get the option in the messages app from google i turn it on but then when i come back its gone...

Working on Mate20Pro ☝️

Anyone know if it available and when? S9, i see the option in chat setting, but seems to fail when i try and

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Anyone know if it available and when? S9, i see the option in chat setting, but seems to fail when i try and

No one know when it’ll come unfortunately.

I'm very frustrated with this. It's (almost) an all-or-nothing service, yet they're rolling it out slowly?! I mean, it's great for those Pixel owners who's devices are supported... as long as all of their friends are also using Pixels. You can't do a limited support roll out! Flip the switch. Both ends of the conversation have to be enabled, so give us all access at the same time. Enough is enough.

(Phew! I need to get that off my chest.)

I'm really looking forward to text messaging on Android catching up to 2010, but as much as I want this, I may not be able to jump on board when it arrives. I don't plan to switch my app to Samsung's or Google's Messages app. After trying many apps over the years, I've fully committed to Textra. They aren't being given access to the API required to include support in their app. So neither would Chomp, Handcent, GoSMS... or whatever other third-party messaging app you might use.

This whole situation is so messed up, and we won't be able to get anywhere until after ALL providers finally pony-up and turn on RCS for everyone. No more piecemeal.

It is hit and miss with RCS.

I had a Samsung A8, Google Messages, and was able to use the “work-around” to activate RCS on that device, and worked flawlessly.

Now I’m on an S10e and I can’t get it activated no matter what steps or work-arounds I try.  I agree that Telus/Koodo just simply need to flip the switch on this one - there’s no reason not too.  The US carriers have figured it out, so…….

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I had a Samsung A8, Google Messages, and was able to use the “work-around” to activate RCS on that device, and worked flawlessly.

Now I’m on an S10e and I can’t get it activated no matter what steps or work-arounds I try.  I agree that Telus/Koodo just simply need to flip the switch on this one - there’s no reason not too.  The US carriers have figured it out, so…….

Was your phone from Koodo and updated to the latest firmware? I thought samsung devides are mostly compatible with RCS? 

Was your phone from Koodo and updated to the latest firmware? I thought samsung devides are mostly compatible with RCS? 

Both phones (the A8 and S10e) are both purchased directly from Koodo, updated to the latest firmware and all apps updated to latest versions).  The RCS setup of the A8 worked fine on the first attempt, but the S10e doesn’t work no matter the number of tries, uninstalls and re-installs, etc…

I’m wondering if the issue is with “de-registering” from RCS before I switched phones?! (this is just a stab in the dark).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Both phones (the A8 and S10e) are both purchased directly from Koodo, updated to the latest firmware and all apps updated to latest versions).  The RCS setup of the A8 worked fine on the first attempt, but the S10e doesn’t work no matter the number of tries, uninstalls and re-installs, etc…

I’m wondering if the issue is with “de-registering” from RCS before I switched phones?! (this is just a stab in the dark).

You could try to de-register and register again. It might not work right away (from my experience with iMessage, it could take 1 days to finish the registration)

You could try to de-register and register again. It might not work right away (from my experience with iMessage, it could take 1 days to finish the registration)

Perhaps I’m ignorant to this, but how would one go about “deregistering” from RCS?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want to turn if off, you could try go to  Android Messages » Select Settings » Select Chat features » Tap or slide the Enable chat features toggle to OFF

When the feature was accessible, I would have had a toggle to flip but since being deactivated it only shows is this: 

However, this explanation from Andriod Central seems to provide the answer:

Guess I'll have to wait for Telus/Koodo to get their butts in gear on this one!

I did some searching the apparently Google disabled the workaround that was published last year to forcibly enable RCS.  I recently upgraded from a Galaxy S9+ that had RCS working to an S10+ and now I can’t anymore with the latest beta of Google Messages.

What is the hold up, Koodo, to enable this globally?

UPDATE:

I was able to activate RCS via Google Messages, using the same work-around, only I un-enrolled from Google Messages - Beta before trying again.  (Clearly I was just blindly trying things but this seems to have permanently worked.)

There is hope.... Give it a shot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/10/31/20941645/rcs-chat-android-google-messages-app-how-to-enable

I was able to activate RCS via Google Messages, using the same work-around, only I un-enrolled from Google Messages - Beta before trying again.

Good call!  I unrolled from the beta (but didn’t re-enroll) and now the RCS activity flag is available again.  I was able to re-enable RCS.  Now it shows “Connected”.  Good deal!

But still…  Why is this taking Koodo so long?

@MarcPaulin ‘ work-around worked for me, Samsung Note 10+ here, thx, Cheers 

Seems to be working for all my friends now. I had to use the beta version of messages to get it working on my Motorola phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah, seems like it’s rolling out!