Koodo Community
Question

Question on Unlocking phone

• 3 August 2019
  • 5 replies

If I unlock my phone, do I have to cancel my plan with Koodo?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hi,
When did you buy your phone? if your phone was purchased after Dec2017 then it is unlocked already.

Anyway, if you got a locked phone from Koodo and if you are a Koodo customer, you can do it in your selfserve https://www.koodomobile.com/help/unlocking-your-phone. Otherwise you need to contact Koodo directly for unlocking.
I bought it last fall but I didn't buy it right out, I still have a tab. Doesn't that mean it is locked until I pay that off?

Also what I'm asking is if it is locked right now, and I unlock it, does that mean it cancels my current plan with Koodo?

And yes, I do realize this is probably a stupid question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I bought it last fall but I didn't buy it right out, I still have a tab. Doesn't that mean it is locked until I pay that off?

Also what I'm asking is if it is locked right now, and I unlock it, does that mean it cancels my current plan with Koodo?

And yes, I do realize this is probably a stupid question.

Cancellation has nothing to do with unlocking.

Hope that answered the question and if you bought a phone last fall, it was unlocked already!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Don't worry about asking what feels like a "stupid question!" It's better for you to know for sure than worry about doing something wrong or that youbdont want to do. Please never hesitate to ask whatever you want here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your phone was purchased after Dec2017 then it is unlocked already.

√ Dinh

You can do a live test by sticking in a SIM from another carrier. Borrow one from a friend or buy one on eBay for a few bucks. ("test" or "used" SIM)