Koodo Community

Community

Solved

question about warranty past the 1 year manufacture

hi
i really want to get the lg g4 on contract (2 years) but the only thing holding me back is the bootloop issue.
i understand that lg has a 1 year warranty for faulty hardware. 
so my question is what happens if i don't get the "extended warranty" koodo offers (im careful with my phones and protect it with a tempered glass, otterbox and triple duct tape the thing) and for example I have had the phone for a year and 4 months and it bootloops?

[b]what would koodo do at this point?

6 replies

Badge +4
Hi Marco, Unfortunately nothing. It wouldn't matter how careful you are with the phone, the bootloop issue is firmware/software related. Once the phone is past the one year manufacturers warranty period, you're basically on your own. The extended warranty will, if nothing else, offer you some peace of mind should the phone become a bootlooping brick.
i've been following reddit, xda and according to them it's hardware issues. dang eh.
well i really hope the newer models aren't affected.

and what the heck really??  so i wont have a phone but koodo would still expect me to keep paying? haha

Userlevel 7
Marc Co wrote:

i've been following reddit, xda and according to them it's hardware issues. dang eh.
well i real...

Yes, because that's all the manufacturer warranties. Koodo is the service provider, not the phone maker, so they actually don't care what phone you use, as long as it's their plan. It's part of the service agreement. You would have to provide a different phone in some capacity to continue using the service. Frankly this doesn't bother me though, as I usually get a new phone every 6 months or so.
Badge +4
Marc Co wrote:

well i real...

You are correct, it is hardware related, I stand corrected. It wouldn't hurt to ask, before making the purchase, how long their G4's have been there for or if they're newly arrived stock. The rest holds true if the phone fails after the manufacturers one year warranty expires. http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-admits-g4-bootloop-problem-hardware-fault-669603/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marc Co wrote:

well i real...

The service provider doesn't provide device warranty, the manufacturer does. This makes Koodo no different from any other service provider.
Marc Co wrote:

well i real...

yeah that makes sense...[b]ok thank you all!