Koodo Community

Community

Solved

[Q & A] Nexus 5 - I've got a Nexus 5, if you've got questions, fire away!

Userlevel 6
Feel free to post them here & I'll try to answer any questions you've got about the Nexus 5 & KitKat themselves ... but not about Koodos' pricing, availability or network.

84 replies

Userlevel 7
I know the phone runs well because the Nexus 4 practically flew on 4.3 with a 1.5GHz S4 pro SOC but this thing is probably a speed demon with a 2.2GHz Snapdragon 800 quad-core and running 4.4. 1. How's the camera? Wanna upload some samples for us to look at? I know it's still an 8MP but there's supposedly a lens/sensor upgrade to get better pictures because the Nexus 4's camera wasn't anything to write home about. 2. Battery life? It's only 2300 mah and I know it's a Snapdragon 800 device running KitKat but I don't see it being dramatically better than the N4. I use my phone a fair bit but probably not as heavily as Ivan since he can't seem to get more than a day out of a phone 😛 3. Build quality? I know it's got the nice matte back but how's the white? Same material? Does it feel solidly built in the hand? I hear it has high quality ceramic buttons now but I'm still skeptical. I'm not expecting HTC level of quality here but I don't want something cheap and plasticky either. 4. What's KitKat like? Anything exciting or better about it? I would like to see it on an Ace II X or Xperia J. I know it's not a huge upgrade over JB but I like the transparent status bar and touch buttons idea.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

I know the phone runs well because the Nexus 4 practically flew on 4.3 with a 1.5GHz S4 pro SOC b...

The N4 wasn't a slouch at all, but the N5 is blazing fast with no lag anywhere & I'd installed all the almost 200 Apps I had on my N4 onto my N5. The only 2 that so far dont work are "Floating Notifications" & "ReadItToMe". 1) Camera: -PhotoSphere is much improved -OIS has very noticeably improved video recording -HDR+ is better than HDR on the N4 Overall I'd give the N4's camera a 6 & the N5's an 8 - not up to par with the S4, G2 or Xperia Z but significantly better than the N4 & marginally but still better than the HTC One & Moto X. 2) Battery: -I don't play games on my phone & I got through the time it arrived until the morning -charges fast -wirelessly charges easy & fast (the N4 was ridiculously slow to charge wirelessly & difficult to find the "sweet spot") and also wireless charges while the phone is off (which most don't) Overall I'd give the N4's battery a very weak 5 & the N5's another solid 8 but I still haven't tried getting through a day of normal day-to-day use yet so that might change. 3) Build quality: -I got the black & it feels nice -Very light but solid (in the same way the iPhone 5 feels light but solid -Doesn't overheat like the N4 did constantly -Buttons feel good -Dual bottom speaker grills (though single speaker like the iPhone 5) sound great for calls & games but not when they're at maxed volume (though they're already loud so max volume shouldn't be needed) Overall, personally I preferred the "premium" look & feel of the N4. Aside from the durability issues of the N4, I'd give it a pretty high 9 whereas the N5 I'd give an 8 - not because it's of cheaper quality (it's better overall) but I just miss the glass back & the matte back doesn't do anything to have it stand out from the rest. 4) KitKat: -Dialer looks up businesses within itself -Gives you easy control over the default SMS & Launcher App -Places Google Now onto your Homescreen like HTC's Blinkfeed Other than that I haven't noticed any huge difference over 4.3 on my Nexus 4. So overall, is the Nexus 5 a blow out? No. But is it among the best phones available currently? As a complete package, most definitely yes. Who's the device for? Anyone with a Nexus 4 or anything older - anyone with a 2013 flagship device probably won't have a need to upgrade to it.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

I know the phone runs well because the Nexus 4 practically flew on 4.3 with a 1.5GHz S4 pro SOC b...

Thanks for doing this! If you can keep us abreast with regards to battery life as you test it more extensively that would be awesome. That's the one thing that was a concern from the specs and the one thing holding me back from clicking the purchase button. Also, how much memory does the OS take up? Out of curiosity, did you get the 16 or 32 gig model?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

He got a 32 GB model.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

Yeah I'll keep an eye on battery usage, it was the only thing I was worried about too because other than that & the camera it's got pretty much the highest specs available. I got the 32GB version & the OS take up roughly 4GB
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

***UPDATE*** Battery for my uses is almost double what I got on the N4 which is surprising. On the N4 I'd get 4-5hrs of battery life - if I unplugged at 8am, by 1pm my device was between 0-10% battery losing easily 20%/hour On the N5 I get close to 7-10hrs of battery life! On LTE I lose approximately 15%/hour & on HSPA+ I lose only 10%/hour. It's nothing to write home about, but considering how bad the N4's battery was & that they only up'ed the mAh by 200, that much additional battery life is pretty awesome! Keep n mind though I have zero games on my phone & I don't watch YouTube - I pretty much only use it for social media, but I do have more than a haze dozen Apps monitoring my Notifications so that eats up batter too. I'll still keep a battery charger in my pocket, but knowing I won't need to rely on it as much as I did on my N4 is reassuring.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

Wow, I'd heard the N4 battery was bad, but not that bad. The N5 battery is still kind of meh from the sounds of it, especially since you don't use it for games or watch video. Of course, if you are constantly checking social media, the screen uptime is probably murdering the battery. Do you control the screen brightness at all? Also, do you have any idea how much you might lose in an hour if you turned off mobile data? I usually toggle data off except on occasion. Since I don't do social media on my phone at all, I only use my phone for email, sports updates and checking something online here and there.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

I'm not a big fan of games on my phone (I use my tablet for that) & usually only watch videos while on Wi-Fi/home but the amount of Apps I use & everything I sync drains the batter as quick as those that don't use as many Apps/syncing & instead play lots of games. The 3 biggest drain are: -Apps -Screen -Data The more Notification Apps I run the more battery drains ... I currently use about 10 Notification Apps. Keeping my other settings (brightness at 30% & Data enabled) unchanged but using none of my Notification Apps for an hour to test (I can't go longer than that ... I love my Notification Apps) the battery drained at about 6%/hour. Brightness I usually set to 30% which on the N5 is more than bright enough to see in sunlight. Keeping Notification Apps enabled & only switching my brightness to zero & my other settings unchanged for an hour, the battery drained at about 7%/hour. Turning off Mobile Data & keeping my other settings unchanged (Notifications enabled & brightness to 30%) the battery drained at about 4%/hour. It drains at about 10-12%/hour with: -Notification Apps enabled -Screen set to 30% brightness -Data enabled It drains at about 3%/hour with: -Notification Apps switched off -Screen set to 0% brightness -Data disabled So if you turn off Data, don't use Notification Apps & pretty much use the phone for only calls/TXTs, you'll likely lose just 3%/hour. Personally I don't understand people that use their smartphone as a basic phone ... but if that's what you plan to do, then you'll get great battery life.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, wow. I don't use my smartphone as a basic phone at all, when I'm out and about, I do use data, but since I don't do social media in general (on my phone or anywhere else), I only need to turn it on from time to time to check if any emails have come in or check something out online when required, thus updating widgets in the process. No point having data constantly on when I use it a total of maybe 5-10 minutes in a given hour, tops. I'd rather toggle data with a simple widget and save tons of battery than have to carry an extra battery and worry about running out of power. If I'm getting near the end of the day and have a decent amount of juice left, I tend to be more liberal with my data staying on, since I know my battery won't be an issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Honestly, after 2 days of use, the battery life (my major issue with the GNex and especially the N4) is a non issue for me. Yesterday the phone was taken off the charger at 10am and the battery was at 9% by 4:30am. I didn't use my phone as much as on average but the usage was probably 75% of my average. That was pretty impressive for me at least. And the phone charges as fast as my iPhone 5 (which I've always preferred to Androids with larger batteries due to its much faster recharge speed).
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

The iPhone 5 does charge really fast, that was pretty cool about it. I have found that the G2 actually charges pretty fast (about an hour and a half from 10%) despite the monster 3000mah battery... I think part of it is because the OEM charger outputs at 1.8A/hour.
Jonathan I wrote:

Is the LG G3 a better cell than the Nexus 5, I'm thinking about swapping?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Yes Becki the G3 is better in every way
Jonathan I wrote:

My Nexus 5 shows the picture as sent but they are not received. Not iphone or android. My son has the identical phone. People were receiving them up till a few months ago. I don't think anything has changed? Help?
Jonathan I wrote:

Ralph needs help, Nexus 5 user needs help with deleting and loading pictures from my computer?
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Hey Ralph. What do you want to do exactly? Transfer pictures from your computer to your phone or do you want to transfer pictures from your phone to your computer?
Jonathan I wrote:

I want to send new updated picture files from my comp to my phone.
Jonathan I wrote:

I want to download pics/videos from my phone to my computer drive... it says the phone is empty and it has about 16000 pics on it!! HELP!!
Jonathan I wrote:

Paid for bundle to be able to use phone in uk but it won't hook up
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

Hey Debbie,

Which bundle did you add to your account? Do you need calls an/or data? Please let us know.

Thanks
Jonathan I wrote:

how do I use my Nexus 5 while on holiday in the UK?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

If you wish to use your number and roaming then you need to enable international voice roaming by adding it in add-ons. If you also want data then international data roaming needs to be added as well. There's sparse and expensive roaming packages. For more than the minimal use, you'll likely want too get a local Sim, and you just need to pop it in. Nexus devices are default unlocked. Just make sure roaming is enabled in settings.
Userlevel 6
Enjoy it, John! The Nexus 5 looks awesome 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yannick wrote:

My current emotions are Jealousy and Greed 😃
Userlevel 1
Yannick wrote:

haha hilarious :+)