Koodo Community

Protection Plan

So... just a bit of info...
I signed up with Koodo 2 years ago.
I purchased a phone AND the 2 year extended warranty
(a total of $840).
I had a manufacturer issue with the phone near the end of my 2 year warranty. They were happy to honour my warranty and sent me a refurbished phone to replace the broken one.
However!
They sent me a broken phone. The ear piece is blown so hearing phone calls is incredibly hard.
I brought in the replacement phone to get it replaced again but I was told that because my original warranty has now expired they cannot "fix my replacement phone" and if I would like to pay for a repair to my replacement phone I could do that. Even though they sent me a broken phone. I was also offered a discount on purchasing a new phone.
I will be taking my business elsewhere.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wow that is definitely something I would escalate if possible. Did they say that receiving a broken phone is not their problem or are they claiming they sent a phone that was working?

I always tell people to not get extended warranties as you're better off just saving what you're paying towards a fix or replacement
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I Assumed it was purchased 2 years ago, so here is the warranty details...
https://www.phoneclaim.com/koodo/pdf/KOODO_EW_TCs_1223_ENFR_February_14_2017_to_July_15.pdf?v=20190530171653

What kind of a replacement phone will I receive?
Your replacement phone will be of like kind and quality with similar functionality and comes with a 90-day warranty or the balance of the original warranty, whichever is greater. The 90-day warranty is for defects in material or workmanship and begins on the date of delivery of the replacement device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I Assumed it was purchased 2 years ago, so here is the warranty details...https://www.phoneclaim.com/koodo/pdf/KOODO_EW_TCs_1223_ENFR_February_14_2017_to_July_15.pdf?v=20190530171653
What kind of a replacement phone will I receive?
Your replacement phone will be of like kind and quality with similar functionality and comes with a 90-day warranty or the balance of the original warranty, whichever is greater. The 90-day warranty is for defects in material or workmanship and begins on the date of delivery of the replacement device.

What does "defects in material or workmanship" mean? If the phone has a hardware problem, it's not covered?
They wouldn't even acknowledge if they sent me a broken device or not. They didn't claim the phone they sent was working or not. They simply said that my original warranty was no longer valid. As if I was complaining my original phone was broken.
I do realize I am not entitled to another extended warranty, however I expect when I am paying for a warranty, and my warranty states I will receive a phone that will be of like kind and quality with similar functionality, that I will be receiving a fully functioning replacement, not trading in a broken phone for another broken phone. Who on earth would pay for a warranty, if the warranty only guaranteed you another broken device?

In my opinion they did not fulfill the warranty that I paid for in full. They refuse to fix or replace the replacement phone, however they did offer a discount on my monthly bill and a discount on a new phone I could buy.

This is great, however not a proper solution to this issue. They are basically taking my protection plan money, taking the money I paid for the phone (keep in mind the warranty issue was a manufacturer defect, not something I did) and offering me to buy a new phone and continue being a paying customer to a company who does not honor their contracts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Like Dennis said above, replacements come with a 90 day warranty. I would contact Asurion and talk to them as they're the people that deals with this stuff.
Their number is 1-844-574-1839
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you over the 90day warranty @Jessizzle ?
I went in roughly 1 week after noticing the issue. I spoke to their customer service guy at the store. They were having issues with shipping at the time and he told me not to worry as I had a 1 year warranty on all replacement phones sent through their warranty plan and to come back within a week.
I came back and they still were having issues. I had made 2 trips at this point and was growing impatient.

He explained the process and told me he would need me to stick around awhile when they did an exchange as they have to transfer my info to a new loaner phone and wipe my personal phone clean to send off for repair. He said again dont worry, I had a year and to come back when I had more time.

I eventually came back, and yes it was past this "90 day" period you are mentioning, however had I been told 90 days and not one year I would have made sure to come back much sooner, as I paid $840 for this phone and warranty and would not have been so casual as to not care to have it fixed properly as I was guaranteed by contract.

Now, if THEIR employee gave me misinformation, that is not my fault. That is something Kodoo should handle within their own company.
I must also add, not one of the customer service reps dealing with me one this issue asked me for a date of replacement, nor did they have a date of replacement on my phone.
Only the expiry date of the original warranty on my replacement phone.

At no point did any single one of these reps ever say to me there was a 90 day warranty on the replacement or ask if it was under 90 days since being replaced.

Also, they never once said I was over my 90 day warranty period for the replacement phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I went in roughly 1 week after noticing the issue. I spoke to their customer service guy at the store. They were having issues with shipping at the time and he told me not to worry as I had a 1 year warranty on all replacement phones sent through their warranty plan and to come back within a week.
I came back and they still were having issues. I had made 2 trips at this point and was growing impatient.

He explained the process and told me he would need me to stick around awhile when they did an exchange as they have to transfer my info to a new loaner phone and wipe my personal phone clean to send off for repair. He said again dont worry, I had a year and to come back when I had more time.

I eventually came back, and yes it was past this "90 day" period you are mentioning, however had I been told 90 days and not one year I would have made sure to come back much sooner, as I paid $840 for this phone and warranty and would not have been so casual as to not care to have it fixed properly as I was guaranteed by contract.

Now, if THEIR employee gave me misinformation, that is not my fault. That is something Kodoo should handle within their own company.

@Jessizzle I will flag this to a rep for you. Which koodo kiosk location was this?
Userlevel 3
Hi there! We've just replied to you on Facebook. Please feel free to get back to us anytime and 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Please keep us updated with the outcome 🙂
Thank you Dennis.
It was the Owen Sound, Ontario Kiosk, in the Heritage Place mall. The reps name was Chris. I spoke with him (and only him) directly on several occasions regarding this replacement phone and situation immediately following the replacement and several weeks afterwards.

An update, the final offer was $45 plan, and a $70 credit towards purchasing a new phone on their tab program. They also offered me the option of repairing the phone, and they would cover 50% of the repair cost.
The plan fee reduction is only $10 less per month than virgins offer, which offers more data. Koodo did offer unlimited talk, however that is useless to me when I can’t use the call feature on this phone.

At a $10 per month discount it would take roughly over 1.5 years to get back the money they took for a warranty plan charge they didn’t fulfill. On top I would need to pay a minimum of 17 months of an additonal tab charge that includes their rebate, so I could have a properly working phone to use said plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
“however that is useless to me when I can’t use the call feature on this phone”
-What do you mean your phone doesn’t have the call feature? What phone is it?

“At a $10 per month discount it would take roughly over 1.5 years to get back the money they took for a warranty plan charge they didn’t fulfill.
-But you mentioned that your original phone had issues near the end of your 2 year warranty. Then they honoured your warranty and sent you a replacement phone. I know you had issues with it, But you went back to the store after 90 days? You also mentioned that any single one of these reps ever say to you there was a 90 day warranty on the replacement phone. But it’s showing under the Extended/protection plan documents.

If Koodo offered you some plan discount and/or Tab credit, then I think Koodo is trying to make up of “warranty plan charge they didn’t fulfill. “
I don’t know your final decision to move to virgin or stay with Koodo, but I hope you can get phone it works and plan you like at the end.
Mayumi,
The issue with their replacement, was that the speaker is blown thus hearing people speak when they call, is extremely difficult. This is why the call feature is pretty useless.

I returned to the store about one week after receiving the replacement phone. I came back again about one week after the original visit. The first visit was during the Christmas holidays and I did not have time for them to go through the return process. I was told to come back. I did and was told they had system issues and they could not return my product at that time. I was then told by the employee that I had a year to get this phone fixed and to come back at my leisure when I had the time, If they employee had said 90 days, I would have come back sooner.

I did not further check my paperwork to see if the employee was lying or incorrect as I assume their employees are trained and know the contracts.

Also, I would like to say that the issue with the original phone was a manufacturer defect, not an issue I caused or created. I will also say the replacement phone damages were also not one I caused or created. If someone had told me the $205 I paid for the protection plan would be useless, I would have not signed up for it and simply saved the money and put the $200+ towards purchasing a brand new and better phone when my contract ended after the 2 years.

I do understand you are simply quoting an agreement made by the company basically exonerating them of any and all liability regardless of their gross incompetence, however for the sake of customer satisfaction I would think they would be more than happy to simply honour their warranty properly and provide me a fixed phone. I am not asking for more than what I was owed, which was a working replacement.
Especially since the issue was reported immediately to the store I was dealing with since signing up with Kodoo.
I have had no issues with Kodoo in the past, and I would have been happy to continue my business with them at my original plan price, had they simply said “wow, that really stinks you unintentionally received a phone in non working order. You absolutely deserve to have a properly working replacement phone. Please return to the kiosk and have them send it In for repair and we will make sure it gets back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for being a loyal and satisfied customer” ... I’d even except them not saying the last line.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It is likely that the store associate thought you had a new phone.
When was the last time you were there?
When was it when they said 1 year?

You should have also gotten paper work with the replacement phone that details the warranty.
I had explained the situation to the rep so I dont think he was confused? But possible.
I was there several times this week trying to sort it out.
They said 1 year a few months ago when I brought it in the first time to let them know about 1 week after replacement came in the mail.
I did sign paperwork at the time they sent my phone off but i can not locate it. That is my fault, but unfortunately it doesnt matter as I relied on their employee and didnt read the fine print.

Lesson learned and perhaps I will just take my business elsewhere and learn better the next time around.

Its unfortunate, because I have been a loyal and happy customer of Clearnet/Telus for over 15 years, and switched to koodo for a slightly cheaper plan (still knowing telus was their parent company)
I have never had such issues before. And speaks poorly to koodo, a relatively new company in the Canada cell industry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's difficult since it's a he said she said situation at this point. Sounds like it's past the 90 period for a while now, so it's even harder to confirm the issue.

Do you have anyone at the kiosk that would say that they told you it was a 1 year warranty for the first 2 times you went into the kiosk with the problem initially? If so then I think should cover it all. But if no one from the kiosk recalls, this unfortunately there is no paper trail, which is what would be needed.
Overall it is unfortunate, but that is why they offered to cover half of it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
How about Tab credit and plan discount they are offering to make up?
What is your replacement phone which you are currently using?
Is there any phone you can get using those offer?
They are having some sale on phones. You should be able to combine your offer on it to.
I would have to see when the next time this rep is in. He unfortunately went on a short medical leave which is why I'm having such difficulties dealing with this.
Perhaps when he returns.
H ow do i add device protection plan online
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/koodo-phone-protection-plan
Looks like it has to be in store within 60 days of phone purchase
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Check all the details of this protection plan before purchasing it.