Koodo Community

Community

Prepaid to monthly, port number, keep both accounts

Help please. I just signed up for Koodo monthly and I want to port my number from my Koodo prepaid account. However, I'd like to keep my prepaid account going with a new number, mainly because I have a lot of money tied up in unused boosters. How can I do this?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Once you port the prepaid number to postpaid, the account is closed. You won't be able to use the credit in the prepaid if you do it. You could just use all the booster minutes before porting out to a monthly plan.

You could also try to talk to a Koodo agent at a kiosk, and ask him/her if they could give you some credit when you move to postpaid from prepaid. Now, this I don't know if you could do it, but might worth a shot.

Userlevel 6
Hi Grizz, You mentioned you’ve already signed up to Koodo postpaid. You can port-over your Koodo prepaid phone number and move over your prepaid credits as a bill credit to your Koodo post paid account. What I recommend doing, is to call in to Koodo prepaid customer service using your Koodo prepaid phone first before attempting to porting over your number. Then when they agree, login to you Koodo postpaid self serve to port over your number. This will automatically cancel your Koodo prepaid account. Please keep in mind that policies may have changed but it is worth a try. If you are successful, please let us know 🙂
Thanks for the attempts, but nobody has actually answered my initial question. There must be a way to do this; I can't be the only one who's tried.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Grizz wrote:

Thanks for the attempts, but nobody has actually answered my initial question. There must be a wa...

If you search the forum, you will see many have tried and unfortunately none accomplished it.
Grizz wrote:

Thanks for the attempts, but nobody has actually answered my initial question. There must be a wa...

Exceptions can be made by high level reps if you are persistent or lucky, but you will not get that help through here or the regular customer service channels.
Grizz wrote:

I can't imagine why this isn't allowed. I can't see how it would be harmful to Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Grizz wrote:

None of the big 3 and their subsidies allows this on consumer accounts.

Technically they could, but it would create many loopholes on plans/number revenue loss. I could see why they don't, although I support the idea of letting users do it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Grizz wrote:

One of the most common times this comes up is when a customer wants to port their number somewhere and give their old grandfathered plan to a new customer. They want new customers on new plans.
Grizz wrote:

Swapping numbers between lines and keeping a plan is possible on TELUS. Wanting customers on new plans is not the reason.
    Prepaid. Even the Wireless Code doesn't care about prepaid. There are no refunds. Prepaid always gets less customer service. The providers want customers on postpaid, not prepaid.  Koodo. All they provide is basic customer service, and even that costs extra.
This is Prepaid AND Koodo. The worst combination for customer service.