Koodo Community

Community

Pre- rooted devices

Not for Koodo specifically but would it not be great if all android phone companies offered the option for a rooted and unlocked bootloader put of the box? It would give developers even more time to start compiling awesome roms instead of dealing with root permissions and ADB, terminal, etc. to crack the software. I know it's far fetched but wouldn't it be a pretty cool idea?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
I think you mean "post-rooted" & it's not going to happen, not from carriers at least. And some OEM's like Motorola & Samsung offer "Developer" versions...and then there's always Nexus devices. I also consider it a bad idea for the general public having widespread access to rooted devices given all the exploits that come with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Burke wrote:

I think you mean "post-rooted" & it's not going to happen, not from carriers at least. And som...

Completely agree with John on this one.
Userlevel 7
John Burke wrote:

I think you mean "post-rooted" & it's not going to happen, not from carriers at least. And som...

It's too easy to brick a rooted device, it's enough to help usrs with standard problems on stock devices, imagin trying to troubleshoot custom roms wgen most users dont even post (or sometimes know) what phone they have.
Don't think you'll see rooted out of the box devices for the reasons stated above, but what I do think you'll see is easier to root devices. I believe Sony of all people are starting to go this route. That and harder to brick devices. Like I said before, I shouldn't have to worry about bricking my device when installing a new Rom
Badge +4
Aaron MacIntyre wrote:

Don't think you'll see rooted out of the box devices for the reasons stated above, but what I do ...

On select devices, HTC and Samsung have unlockable bootloaders as well.
Userlevel 1
With the numerous advantages of rooting, I can see why you'd want this to happen Android_Master. However as John mentioned, there are just too many risks associated with this and our tech support is limited to assist with network related issues. The support needed to help out with rooted devices gone wrong would take too much time and would lessen the level of customer satisfaction that we strive for on a regular basis.