Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Porting over existing Number to Koodo

I purchased a new phone and a new plan from Koodo yesterday and ported over my old number around 2:30 p.m. my cell phone still does not work and says that there is no sim card! Is this because the other provider hasn't ported it over?

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is there currently a sim card in your phone? If you are on prepaid is it indeed a prepaid sim card and vice versa?
Yes there is - I purchased a new one and asked that my old number be ported over. I purchased the sim card and also paid the Sales associate to transfer all my info from my old phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Yes there is - I purchased a new one and asked that my old number be ported over. I purchased the...

Your phone should have been working the instant it was set up. Koodo issues a temporary number for the phone until the port completes. The 'No SIM' message suggests a problem with the SIM itself. I suggest removing and reinserting the SIM card, and if it still does not work, return to the purchase location for further assessment and correction.
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Yes there is - I purchased a new one and asked that my old number be ported over. I purchased the...

Hello David, I did remove the sim card and I still get the message.  I purchased the phone from Amazon, new and it is guaranteed to be unlocked!  Referenced several valid carriers and Koodo being one of them.  Do you think the phone could possibly be locked or I simply got a bad sim card?  I will have to visit the kiosk for sure. Something is not right.
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Curious what do we do with the accumulated points?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

What phone did you purchase? If you still have it, could you share the amazon link with us?
As per the points they are just a measure of how active you are on the community. You can read more about it here:
https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/point_badge_description
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

No SIM suggests the SIM is not being recognized by the phone. It 'thinks' there is no SIM in the phone even if there is.
Debra Bathgate wrote:

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Galaxy-Express-J1-Marshmallow/dp/B01NAP35PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

Debra Bathgate wrote:

There is a myAT&T AP as well as

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

I think you probably got a dud sim card, Debra. I'd definitely visit the store and get a replacement. You'll probably need to activate it yourself in self service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Either the sim card is not working or the phone's sim card reader is not working.  Bring it back to the store and have them test it out
Debra Bathgate wrote:

On my way to the Kiosk to see what is going on!  Either the sim card is not working or Amazon sold me a locked phone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

If it was locked, it would have asked you to enter an unlock code when you inserted the Koodo sim into the phone
Debra Bathgate wrote:

It appears to be locked the sim card works in my old phone and other Koodo phones.  I found a General Canadian Internet Settings for Smart phones guide in the box.  Stating that if I am not able to connect to the internet using cellular data it means the phone did not automatically configure itself to your carrier's settings.  Therefore you will need to manually enter the internet data settings, also known as APN Settings. Yikes
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

So you are able to Call and text with the phone?  It is only data that doesnt work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Settings up APN is very easy once your phone is unlocked. Not daunting at all.

Mobile networks -> Access Point Name - > 3 dot menu -> reset to default. If that doesn't do it go bakc in and press the plus button and add the settings for Koodo you
Debra Bathgate wrote:

No nothing!  When the sim card is in the phone it comes up "No Sim"  We tried the sim on other phones and in my old phone, it works with it.  The instructions in the box basically are telling me to  go to: Settings>Mobile Data> Access Point Name> New then put in the APN for Koodo: sp.koodo.com 

Debra Bathgate wrote:

Hahahahaha this should be fun!  We shall see how I make out!  I will give it try!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmm those APN settings are only needed to enable data... even without it your phone should connect to Koodo. If your SIM card works in other phones but not this one, I fear it might be time to return the phone... if it's not the SIM, and it's not the network - then I must conclude it is the phone itself 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

I agree with Sophia.  You should be able to  talk and text on the phone at the very least.  And if the phone was locked, it would have asked for an unlock code when you inserted the sim.  If this is not happening, you wouldnt even be able to unlock your phone to use with Koodo
Userlevel 3
Debra Bathgate wrote:

One thing that you could also check is the Preferred Network Mode of your device. It's also in the Mobile Networks settings. Make sure that your phone is set to WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) or LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) to make sure that you can connect to the correct frequencies of the Koodo Network.
Debra Bathgate wrote:

well there is no Mobile networks that come up is it somewhere under connections

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Settings>Mobile Networks>Network Mode
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Under the Application Manager there are a lot of AT&T Apps - AT&T Locker/ AT&T Navigator - AT&T Protect Plus/AT&T Remote Support - the phone does not as for a unlock code when I insert the sim card - I think it might be a dud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debra Bathgate wrote:

Ignore the application manager.