Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Porting from Sugar Mobile to Koodo

I recently joined Koodo since Sugar Mobile is becoming defunct as a result of the Rogers and the CRTC booting them out. I purchased a plan and a Samsung A5 from Koodo. Later that day, I put in a porting request through the "Self-Serve" page to transfer my number from Sugar Mobile to Koodo. The number ported over to my phone. What happens is that I can text to some people but I can't receive texts back. I can call people but they can't call me back because it still goes to Sugar Mobile's service. The data works properly though.

I went to the Koodo Kiosk where I bought the phone and plan. The representative said that I would have to wait for several days since my number I ported over was considered a landline. However, it isn't a land line since I originally got the number from Telus before transferring it to Sugar Mobile.

A couple days later I received a text from Koodo saying my number is successfully ported but the results of the calling and texting are still the same. I hope Koodo can help me out with this :) 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Try restarting your phone and/or taking your sim card in and out. When you port a nunber you are given a temporary number which may explain why you could text or call people but when they tried to text or call your sugar mobile number it wouldnt get to you because that number hadn't been officialy assigned and transferred over to you yet.
I restarted it normally, factory reset it and also took out the SIM card. Still no difference. 
Userlevel 6
The phone number could have originated from Telus, meaning it could come from a Telus wireless prefix (examples of this is 416-206-XXXX, 403-200-XXXX and countless others), then ported to Sugar Mobile. Sugar Mobile's talk and text are handled via Voice Over IP (VOIP). As far as phone service goes, VOIP is considered a landline (despite using the service on a cellphone).
Porting from a landline or VOIP service can take easily 5 days.
Phone number for Koodo/Telus number porting is 866-558-2273. You may want to give them a call to complete the port request (reaching them is much faster than customer service).
Userlevel 3
That number is TELUS' regular customer service. It will forward you to Koodo's regular customer service (= same as 611) if you enter a Koodo number when it asks. So there is nothing fast about it. I received one of those calls before. It's safe to assume that the same people are taking care of porting issues with both brands, and they still call Koodo customers by spoofing their number as TELUS CS. *reply to titaniumtux -do I really keep making the mistake of making a new comment rather than a reply to another comment, or is this just how it looks on mobile?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not Jean-Pierre Blais wrote:

That number is TELUS' regular customer service. It will forward you to Koodo's regular customer s...

Click "comment" beside the like button to have a comment on someones statement. Click the bottom text field that says "write a reply" to make a new reply in the conversation. In this case you made a new reply instead of a comment on somebody elses.
Userlevel 6

That number is TELUS' regular customer service. It will forward you to Koodo's regular customer s...

@Not Jean-Pierre Blais: no idea, as I cannot log into the mobile on my mobile. I'll go with what Allan says.
On desktop, I see "write a reply" at the bottom. Also "Comment" under each post.
RE: your comment: I think that number is a direct line for Telus/Koodo number porting team. I could be wrong, but this was my experience.
Userlevel 3

https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/contact-us
I contacted Koodo's customer service and they resolved the issue!