Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Poor cellular service in home - Excellent outside

It's an older house - I live in Regina Saskatchewan so the moment I move outdoors the service is next to perfect.

The best signal my wife and I can get is 2 bars upstairs and on the main floor. on the sub floor 1 to 0 and no service in the basement.

I read online that my cellular provider can send me a little box to boost the signal, if not what can I buy? I work from home and as you can imagine I use my phone often.

Thanks.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
The cell company in this case won't send you anythibg but a trip to best buy will bring you to a Wilson Repeater. This device captures cell signals and retransmits them around your home/ office.
Userlevel 7
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/
Does it matter what kind of phone I use? I have the LG G3
Userlevel 7
Juliano Simonetti wrote:

Nope its a repeater, it just amplifies available signals
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Juliano Simonetti wrote:

Before committing to buying such a pricey item, check out the installation instructions on-line. These boosters can work well in many circumstances, but there are very strict guidelines that have to be followed. Wilson customer service is excellent.
Userlevel 5
Juliano Simonetti wrote:

With that said, Ive definitely found different phones have different antennas. My G3 definitely isn't at the top of my list for reception. Its been good around Edmonton for me, but when I leave the city it drops calls more often than my S5 did. And none of them perform as well as my Z10 did when it came to reception. But if your getting a repeater than it wont matter what phone you have, they will all work and it will likely fix any problems your having.
Juliano Simonetti wrote:

Yes, some phones have better antennas, and yes, some cell providers have stronger signals in particular areas.  No one advertises what would work best in your particular situation, so it is hit and miss.  I had to install a Wilson booster and works very well.  I do second what BobTheElectrician said:  contact Wilson customer service to discuss to make sure you purchase the right equipment for your situation.  I also have a small Wilson booster installed in my truck which works great when I am further away from cell towers.