Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Please help ASAP

If I went and bought the HTC one without a plan or anything or with no carriers could I put my koodo SIM card in it and not have to do anything?

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Depends on which bands the HTC One works on and if they match the bands that koodo uses. Also, if the HTC One is bought from Telus, you may not have to have it unlocked, however; if it is from Rogers, or Bell or any of their sister companies, you may have to either have them unlock it for you, or use a third party site to unlock it before you can use it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You may also have to manually input Koodo's APN settings into the phone as well to get Internet and mms. Koodo's APN settings can be found with a simple Google search. Also Don't know if you know but the HTC ONE 2 is coming out at the end of the month (25th) so you might want to hold off to see what it brings or also the price of the original HTC ONE should drop once the new model is released.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Where did you buy the phone from?
Userlevel 6
Does it have any carrier branding on it to give you a clue which is was intended for? Is it the Google Play Edition? We need more details to assist you.
I have not gotten the phone yet and my birthday is coming up on the 16 th. I was just wondering like if I went to futureshop and bought a HTC One without a carrier and just put my SIM card into it than I wouldn't have to get it locked or anything right?
Userlevel 1
Tanner Keeping wrote:

I have not gotten the phone yet and my birthday is coming up on the 16 th. I was just wondering l...

If the version that you picked up at Futureshop or any other retail partner was a factory unlocked phone, then you are correct. However; any retailer is only going to be having in stock HTC One's that are locked to a carrier. If this was the case, you would then have to have the phone unlocked unless it was on Telus, then you might be okay. The only way to get the phone truly unlocked without a carrier is to buy it online from the manufacturer.
Tanner Keeping wrote:

I have not gotten the phone yet and my birthday is coming up on the 16 th. I was just wondering l...

Thanks
And what is the price of just the HTC one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tanner Keeping wrote:

Prices are dependent on which carrier it's locked to, and you may have to pay for a month of service, depending on their policy.
Tanner Keeping wrote:

Like if I bout it online right now what would the price be with no carriers just off the HTC website?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tanner Keeping wrote:

HTC doesn't sell directly to consumers in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tanner Keeping wrote:

http://www.htc.com/ca/go/buy-now-htc-one/