Koodo Community

Community

Plans for deaf users- no voice (or pay as you go) with more data and unlimited texting (bring my own phone)

Is there a plan for deaf customers who bring their phone with them?  I am profoundly deaf and can't use voice minutes at all (except in an emergency if I give someone my phone to call for me).  I text a fair bit but NEED data as I primarily communicate via FB/email.  My current plan with PC Mobile gives me 1000 voice minutes a month and 200mb data. 😕   I'm ALWAYS over data and often use zero minutes of voice.  I need a plan that works for my needs. 

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I could bring with me. 

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Hilary,

Have you considered prepaid? You can get unlimited text with the amount of data you want!

Here's the info : https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans

Have a god day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Hilary,

Have you considered prepaid? You can get unlimited text with the amount of data yo...

$15 a month for unlimited texting on prepaid. $30 for 1 GB of data + $10 for 100 anytime minutes which will never expire and probably last you several months of email & emergency usage without overage. No need to install any special apps or use outside services. Even cheaper if you set up automatic payments. Price of SIM will be credited back to your account when you set it up.

You will have to calculate how long $30 of data + $10 of calls will last you, and then make a decision. Assuming those quantities would last 3 months, your total outlay would be under $30 a month.

If you need your phone unlocked, that can be done relatively cheaply on eBay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
How about a tablet plan with just data? You could use a VoIP service such as Fongo for an emergency phone call. Tablet plans are decidedly cheaper with significantly more data for you to use. Just a thought!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

How about a tablet plan with just data? You could use a VoIP service such as Fongo for an emergen...

Unfortunately tablet plans do not include SMS, so Hilary would need to invite all her correspondents to an app or one of a suite of apps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

How about a tablet plan with just data? You could use a VoIP service such as Fongo for an emergen...

There are apps like TextPlus (Probably some newer and better ones as well) that assign you a phone number and allow you to text other phone numbers via wifi (or data) without the need for other people to download the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Textnow includes free texts. Fongo charges 2 dollars a month for it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Minutes is the cheap part of the plan these days, so trying to find a plan with few minutes but lots of data is difficult. Robert's suggestion is sound. If you are looking for an assistive plan, have a look at Telus, and contact them by chat, to see if they have any special offers for the profoundly hearing impaired. Right now, Koodo's $60 1000 minute 2GB +2GB is a pretty good deal.

Have a look at Public Mobile to see how little cost adding minutes is to the plan you choose.
Userlevel 6
Best combo would probably be (sadly not with Koodo) $15 for 3GB data (Fido), use Textnow for texting (like Goran said, texting with TextNow is free).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

Best combo would probably be (sadly not with Koodo) $15 for 3GB data (Fido), use Textnow for text...

Can't see on the Fido site where that data plan is available indecent of being a customer with an existing Fido plan. Pointers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

Best combo would probably be (sadly not with Koodo) $15 for 3GB data (Fido), use Textnow for text...

The plan is only available for Fido postpaid customers with wireless plan. This is in their fine print for the $15/3GB plan.
Userlevel 6
titaniumtux wrote:

Direct link: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions?ancor=promotions_3GB_Tablet_Promo
This plan won't be listed under phone plans as it's intended for tablets, but many users have been using this plan in their phones without any issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

Titanium. Click view full details. 1. Available to Fido postpaid customers with wireless plan (voice only, data only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible).
Userlevel 6
titaniumtux wrote:

@Allan: I suppose you could activate a post-paid Fido plan, then add the tablet plan, then cancel the post-paid talk/text/data plan and just keep the tablet plan. Their plan requirements may change time to time but I'm pretty sure many ppl have it as a stand-alone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Text Now app has a number of comments about the difficulty to text to Canadian carrier customers. Anyone have experience with the App?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have used it as well as my sister. She uses it regularly. Neither of us have had issues. No idea how big of an issue it is with online users commenting. Probably single digit percentages. OP can trial it see if it works for her wiyhout issue. I find Fongo more reliable these days than when I got started using it 5+ years ago. Maybe the two dollar charge makes it more reliable for texting.
Userlevel 6
Goran wrote:

I have used it as well as my sister. She uses it regularly. Neither of us have had issues. No ide...

One family member on Fongo for texting. Mostly reliable. Haven't tried text now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I have used it as well as my sister. She uses it regularly. Neither of us have had issues. No ide...

I've never had any more or less issues with texting via Fongo vs traditional SMS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ok, let's give Hilary a chance to digest all this information how, shall we? This is what they call an overload of information and we don't even know what she wants beyond her first post. Chill 🙂