Koodo Community

Community

Solved

plan for very high data usage?

Ok..forgive me if I am typing in the wrong area. This is my first personal access to the internet in years life happened. I have my first Smartphone. .I previously had a flip phone to dial 911. My problem is I am using mega data..over a month's worth in my first 3rd days. I have very few ..maybe 4 people who have cellphones..so I spend enormous amounts of time on Facebook and surfing. Please help...i am thinking I should have bought a laptop..but I needed to start somewhere.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You may want to spend your time experiencing the internet from a location with Wi-Fi available to you. You could hang out at your local library or other place offering a connection, or get service at home. Cellular based wireless is the most expensive way to connect to the internet, so you'll really want to make the switch. If you find yourself using the 'net a lot, you may well be wise to invest in a laptop purchase.

David wrote:

You may want to spend your time experiencing the internet from a location with Wi-Fi available to...

I should have bought a laptop but I know have this phone. A few people were bugging me to get a cell/mobile phone.I went from having 911 only to this.The novelty wore off fast for the people I called or texted.I'm on a fixed income so a laptop isn't in the budget right now. I had to change my plan forgive higher data usage...thankfully I have been using a bit more wifi 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

You may want to spend your time experiencing the internet from a location with Wi-Fi available to...

Cut your losses. You seem to have no use for texting or cell. Landline internet with a laptop or tablet would do fine. Internet friendly units curently sell for less than a premium phone. Sell your phone (or just cut back to talk-only). Do the arithmetic/math over the next 6 months and you will probably be well ahead by ditching the smart phone in your situation. If you contact Koodo NOW, they may well forgive your overage charges. There is an adjustment policy designed to let customers gauge their data needs over the first 10-14 days. Not free lunch, but you surely fit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

You may be within the 15 day return period, if you are quick. You may still have to pay for the data, but may be credited for the phone.

David wrote:

I think I 'll stick with the phone. I'm finding the wifi locations and I have Wi-Fi where I live
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

Have fun surfing, and connecting with friends of long standing through the likes of Facebook!

David wrote:

Thanks I do connect with old friends and family and upload pictures for them to enjoy
Userlevel 1
Don't forget to download all your new apps on wifi and do all of your system updates on Wifi. And, limit the frequency of data syncing on your apps too. Plus, Tim Horton's, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King and a long list of other restaurants and cafes have WiFi if you don't have it at home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[b]Make the most of your data usage http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/data-and-how-to-make-the-most-of-it