Koodo Community
Question

Pixel 4a Emergency Calls Only

My Pixel 4a seems to be not recognising my SIM. It switches to Emergency Calls Only about a dozen times a day.

Especially when I haven't used the phone for a little while.  

I either have to reboot the device or fiddle around with adding a SIM card which goes through a process of downloading a SIM and before it recognises my physical SIM.

I have fiddled around with piles of settings wondering if some kind of battery optimization was disabling it.  I even activated a brand new SIM this morning and the issue persists.  

I have almost resolved to the fact it is most likely the device itself is faulty, but I am holding out hope there is some kind of DIY fix I am missing.  I was on the phone with Koodo support this morning and the call dropped because of this.  I am trying out Wifi calling now, and perhaps will try having support call me again but if anyone has any insight or experience it would be extremely helpful

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A brand new Sim and the problem persisting points to the phone being the problem. How long have you had the phone for? You cna likely send it in for warranty repaor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My Pixel 4a seems to be not recognising my SIM. It switches to Emergency Calls Only about a dozen times a day.

Especially when I haven't used the phone for a little while.  

I either have to reboot the device or fiddle around with adding a SIM card which goes through a process of downloading a SIM and before it recognises my physical SIM.

I have fiddled around with piles of settings wondering if some kind of battery optimization was disabling it.  I even activated a brand new SIM this morning and the issue persists.  

I have almost resolved to the fact it is most likely the device itself is faulty, but I am holding out hope there is some kind of DIY fix I am missing.  I was on the phone with Koodo support this morning and the call dropped because of this.  I am trying out Wifi calling now, and perhaps will try having support call me again but if anyone has any insight or experience it would be extremely helpful

Have you tried to insert your SIM card in another phone? Does it work on that device? If so, it is very likely an issue with your Google Pixel 4a. 

You may also want to put your device in safe mode to see which apps are causing this problem on your phone. You can visit this link to learn more. https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/2852139?hl=en

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When it's a sim issue that requires fiddling to get to work points to a physical issue with the phone. 

As a last resort you can try a factory reset, but it's likely a physical issue that will need warranty repair work

Badge +4

I think the phone is using an eSIM that is not configured correctly. You mentioned a temporary workaround by adding a SIM card which goes through a process of downloading a SIM. When you select “Download a SIM instead” you’re accessing the eSIM (embedded SIM) portion of your phone. 

A couple of options. Make sure your physical SIM is setup as the default SIM for data, calls and text messages. Click on the link below and under the heading ‘Change dual SIM preferences on your Google Pixel phone, click ‘Set default SIM for data, calls and text messages and follow the instructions.

How to use dual SIMs on your Google Pixel phone

On the same page, scroll down to the heading ‘Turn off or stop using a SIM’ - select subheading ‘Delete an eSIM or require password to delete an eSIM’ and follow the instructions. 

Restart your phone. If the problem persists, then there may be a hardware issue with your phone.