Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Picture texts are using my data

I've read that sending pictures through texts shouldn't use data from my plan, however whenever I check my data on self-serve it keeps going up. I edited my APN so that it would only use MMS, and I verified that the data used on my self serve is only going up when I'm texting pictures to people, my data hasn't been used for anything else yet. I used both the default android messanger app and then textra, both caused it to go up. Is this normal? I thought texting wouldn't use my data.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They do use data, but you are not charged for that data.
So the data that I paid for that I wanted to use for apps when I'm not home will be wasted on texts, even though it's free? At the rate it's going now, about 90% of the data I paid for will be used up by texts, even though it's supposed to be free. Right now I'm on prepaid Koodo and bought data strictly for app usage outside of texting, but according to my self serve texting is draining my data. Is this just self serve showing literally all data used? Is it going to go over the limit but not charge me more since a majority of it is going to be due to text usage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

So the data that I paid for that I wanted to use for apps when I'm not home will be wasted on tex...

Just lime Ivan said, you are not paying for data used for sending pictures. We have lots of prepaid customers who opt for our text only base plans. Those have no data included in them but can still send picture messages as they are not charged. Does this help?