Koodo Community
Solved

Phones with working FM radio

• 11 December 2018
  • 12 replies

I'm looking to upgrade phones in January, what phones when purchased through Koodo have their FM radio chips enabled and functional? I've been looking at the LG G7 ThinQ, Huawei P20 or P20 Pro. Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Dinh 13 December 2018, 20:48

Do any Koodo phones have functional FM chips? Why is it so hard to find this out. 😞
The Koodo LG G6 has Radio, The Koodo LG G7 thinQ has radio chip enabled but you need the app NextRadio. I had the G7, tested and FM radio worked with that app.
View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The Huawei P20 and P20 Pro dont even come with an FM chip.

Not sure if the LG has the FM enabled
Yeah, I realized that afterwards about the Huawei phones. If the LG does have FM, it makes the decision a little easier. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@shellden okay this is just a thought, but you can actually stream most stations in your area (and from across the country) for free, using the free Radio Player Canada app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.radioplayer.android). If you need something to listen on the go without using any mobile data then this won't work well for you, but if you're usually in places with Wi-Fi when you want to listen and/or have lots of monthly data you don't usually use up, this might be a viable alternative, and one for which you do not need to constrain your purchase decision based on this [relatively rare these days] feature.
That can work if I want to listen to Canadian stations only. I need FM to hear the Detroit stations plus FM uses a lot less battery power too.

I've been leaning to the LG for a while now regardless of the FM feature but the size and cameras of the Huawei phones peaks my interest.
The G7 appears to support FM radio. If it works anything like FM radio on my V20, you need to keep wired headphones plugged in to get FM, because it needs the headphone cord as an antenna. The app LG ships with the phone works fine on my V20, but I must admit I haven't used it much. I use TuneIn Radio and Stitcher to stream instead, although I'm sure you're right about more battery usage, not to mention mobile data usage, if you have a limited plan.
Did you get your V20 through Koodo/Telus?
No, I got my V20 from Freedom Mobile (Wind Mobile as they were then) in November 2016. I believe it was an exclusive for Wind at the time, and it was the only device that supported the bands on which Wind/Freedom was rolling out LTE in late 2016. It was locked to Freedom, but someone starting up an unlock code site gave me an unlock code for it for free in exchange for doing a video showing how to unlock the V20, so it's now unlocked. I could use it as a BYOD device on Koodo and I'm sure it would work well enough here, but I'm waiting for the Mate 20 Pro which Koodo's web store people predicted they would ship to me next week if all goes well. Part of the reason I want a Mate 20 Pro is that it has a wide angle camera. Wide angle has proven to be one of my favourite features on my V20, and I'd hate to lose it with a new phone. Other than LG's current phones, you can't get wide angle on many other phones, to my knowledge.
Do any Koodo phones have functional FM chips? Why is it so hard to find this out. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The Koodo LG G6 has Radio, The Koodo LG G7 thinQ has radio chip enabled but you need the app NextRadio. I had the G7, tested and FM radio worked with that app.
Thank you, Dinh.
Wow, neither phone is listed on Koodo's site as of today. Nice. 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@shellden : The G6 is still "alive" https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/lg-g6
I think there are some issue with stock with G7 thinQ, it might show up after a few days.