Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Phone stolen after violent assault

Userlevel 1
I had my Google Pixel smartphone stolen after an unexpected altercation with a criminal. I was physically assaulted and had my phone & wallet stolen. I have filed a police report.

I currently have a Tab balance owing on this device, but need a new device to replace the stolen one. I realize now that the same phone is more expensive at $544 on a Medium tab, so it has become unaffordable in my unfortunate situation.

Are there any special offers Koodo can extend in my extenuating circumstance or current promotions I can take advantage of?

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm sorry to hear that happened. Afraid not in general for special extenuating offers. There could be a potential one off if you ask a rep, but I wouldn't expect a yes. The A5 is 0 upfront on tab medium 360 total and is a pretty well reviewed phone for the price on tab medium. The LG g5 is on a long term deal for 410 total 50 upfront on tab medium. There's also the used phone market as options. If you're in a rush tho you might get lucky and see something for a good deal.
Goran wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that happened. Afraid not in general for special extenuating offers. There ...

Saying that you can get a phone for $0 to $50 up front is all great and wonderful, its the EXTRA per month on top of your plan that sucks and hurts.  it makes things unafordable to some!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that happened. Afraid not in general for special extenuating offers. There ...

I also stated the total cost over 24 months for both options I recommended via koodo. And it's the specific budget of OP who probably can afford it. I can give lowest cost but still use able IMO for others that are at a barebones budget should anyone ask.
Userlevel 1
Goran wrote:

@ Bumsly, I think it's pretty clear to many that getting a subsidy for a phone = having an inflated phone bill. Granted, Koodo is very transparent as to what their monthly Tab is like and because you're not tied to a 2 or 3 year contract, you can simply cancel and pay off the phone and move to another carrier/phone of your choice!

I can't believe how many people feel entitled or that they're being somehow conned because they're getting an unbelievable deal on the latest flagship smartphones. More people need to be financially literate and understand that a Koodo Tab is an interest free, no strings attached, loan which you can pay off in 24 months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi stolenbyathug, sorry to hear this happened to you it really sucks. Unfortunately there is no special offers that Koodo offers for stolen phones. You should put the phone on the blacklist so it's unusable with a carrier. As well as filing a police report and putting it on thr black list make sure you log into your self serve if you haven't already and report it stolen there so they can't run up your bill then you'll have to pay that as well as purchase a new phone. Check out on Kijiji ect and maybe you can find a deal on a phone there because yeah its going to be expensive having to pay off your current tab owing as well as paying for thr upfront part of thr new phone you don't out in thr tab.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Hi stolenbyathug, sorry to hear this happened to you it really sucks. Unfortunately there is no s...

Due to the circumstances Koodoo should offer her a 50% off deal and have some kind of insurance for stolen phones.  I hope that she immediately suspended service on the phone!  I had Geek squad however cancelled when they gave me so much hassle to get a new replacement battery!  I found that the insurance wasn't worth it .
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Hi stolenbyathug, sorry to hear this happened to you it really sucks. Unfortunately there is no s...

I'm sure we'd all love to get a 50% savings on replacements for stolen property, however, that's not the way it works. The bearer can buy insurance to cover their losses, but as you discovered, it is often not worth the price.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for your replies guys. Didn't want this to sound like a plea for sympathy, but I'm in a tough financial situation and rely on my smartphone everyday. This is seriously depressing. I'm considering the Kijiji route or perhaps getting a Samsung Galaxy S8 from another place that offers subsidies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
StolenByAThug wrote:

Thanks for your replies guys. Didn't want this to sound like a plea for sympathy, but I'm in a to...

Quite a few of us can definitely relate to tough financial points in our lives. Beware the subsidies are paid for in higher monthly costs. If you cannot afford a flagship, you cannot afford a flagship. The good thing for you is midrange phones for 2016-2017 are almost imperceptible in performance difference from flagship, and budget ones are absolutely good enough. I mentioned the galaxy a5 because the specs are good at 360 dollars and the battery life is phenomenal. 3-4gb ram. 32-64gb memory, good enough processors, and good cameras are becoming common in the mid range. The LG g5 is a 2016 flagship with great cameras and replaceable battery. You can find g5s for less on Kijiji in great shape. Like 300 is realistic. There's a huge number of last year's flagships and mid range phones on the cheap on the used market.
Userlevel 1
StolenByAThug wrote:

Thanks for your replies guys. Didn't want this to sound like a plea for sympathy, but I'm in a to...

Goran, I appreciate your empathy and the time and thought that went into your response. Thanks for letting me know that a lower end phone is still highly usable. I'm a power user and constantly run dozens of apps. I exceed my 6 Gb data cap on a regular basis, even with careful moderation of my usage.

I come from using a line of at least a dozen junk, pre-paid, outdated Android phones before I took the plunge on the Google Pixel - my dream phone. The Pixel opened my eyes what a seamless Android experience could be like. It seems like today's tech climate is one where companies are compelled to force us to perpetually upgrade devices and contribute to the mountains of e-waste burning in a third world country. Maybe this is just the competitive nature of the tech industry and there's little we can do to curb our own proclivity for materialistic attainment.

I don't know, maybe I'm still just frustrated with my current situation knowing that I had the misfortune of meeting a psychopathic thieve.

I'm still open to any suggestions on what my next phone could be. The Pixel isn't on promotion any longer and I wish Koodo can reveal some more discounts soon! I would love to remain with a major device manufacturer like Google, HTC, LG, Samsung, etc.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
StolenByAThug wrote:

Most mid range phonss have a snapdragon 625 or higher and 3-4gb ram and 32-64 go of memory , which works great even for power App users. I had a xiaomi redmi note 3 pro and I would also classify myself as a heavy user and it was just enough to work well. I could make it slow down pushing the browser to several tabs with several apps going simultaneously but there are limits and it has 3GB of ram.

If you're willing to wait or pay a little extra for quicker shippijg xiaomi makes excellent phones for the price. Like so cheap. They can be imported or some found by some retailers in Canada. They're not in NA yet but they're a well established brand elsewhere in the world. The Asus zenfone 3 is a 4/64gb mid range phone for 400 new that performs excellently.

Ah yes I understand with the bad experience of old and bad low cost androids. Unless you buy the budget Samsung and LGs and such you'll be fine for quality of use. The Samsung a5 and LG g5 imo are your best choices if you want to buy from koodo for bang for your buck and good user experience. Galaxy s7 and edges can be found for fairly cheap used and they work great.
Userlevel 1
StolenByAThug wrote:

Before the Pixel, I used a Nexbit Robin (form factor too weird) and a Moto G4 Play (too under-powered and too fragile).

Ideally, I would like to put my money towards a phone that I can be happy for the next two years. So a mid-range phone might not suffice. Perhaps this is just my own neurotic tendency to have the latest and greatest toy.

I'm still leaning towards a Galaxy S8 as I'm a Samsung fan and it's not as expensive as the Pixel. What are your thoughts on cheaper flagships? Preferably with a promotion offered like trade-in or Tab.

Thanks again Goran!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
StolenByAThug wrote:

I like the G4 Play but it is definitely not meant for heavy users. Works great if you are a lighter user. Hahaha well ideally is ideal. Realistically the 3-4gb of ram in last year's flagships and midrange offerings from 2016 to now will work well for heavy users for the next two years. My thoughts are understand the tab is usually not a subsidy, hence me adding total costs in my original reply. Tradeins are also never worth it unless it's like last year Samsung had for the S7 and note 7 where any phone (including old flip phones) wohld give you 200 off. Well it also depends on your budget? May I ask what you are able/willing to spend? So far you've indicted that you can't afford to pay off your current tab and get a replacement flagship. So unless you can find an amazing deal new or used, I'd steer away from an S8, much as I love the s8+. Cheaper flagships include one plus 5, xiaomi mi6, and the like and they are great value for money, but still come to 500-600 CAD. Hence me mentioning the s7 or LG g5 or mid range options.
Userlevel 1
StolenByAThug wrote:

Realistically, I might hold off until they release the Google Pixel 2 (any idea/rumors of when this date will be for Canadians)? And use the Nexbit Robin which I gave to my mother... she said she's happy to return it, but I get a feeling there's some resentment.

Are there any current Samsung offers for the S8? I know the flagship stores offer that $200 trade-in discount for almost any device to recycle (again, see my above post about my hatred of the limited product life cycle of a smartphone). I have to pay off another $300+ on the Tab for my previous Pixel, so I don't think I'm in immediate hurry to get another flagship. I still think because of Android security updates being phased out for older flagships, I won't be open to buying a phone that's older than 1 year since its release, and that also goes with overseas phones like the Xiaomi variants (although I'm a big fan of that manufactuer!).

I'm aware that a Tab isn't a subsidy, but what's better than an interest free loan without any impact on your credit, that gives you 24 months to pay off? I think Koodo, of all the distasteful carriers in Canada, has done it right with the Tab and Self-Serve (being able to obtain out-of-province plans). Someone within the company actually cares about their subscribers, and I'm very thankful of Koodo standing out in an oligopolistic industry. And thank you, Goran, for volunteering your time (I presume) by helping Koodo customers.

Sorry for the lengthy, off-topic, read. And thanks for your time!
Userlevel 6
StolenByAThug wrote:

@StolenByAThug: We do not discuss "out of province plans" on this forum. Only impact on your credit is when you open the account, or if you don't pay your bill on time.
Koodo only offers trade-ins in-store, and best place to get a trade-in deal on Koodo is Wow Mobile.
I hope your Pixel has a screen lock (pin/pattern/fingerprint/etc.) and that the bootloader is still locked. That way, the thief could only sell the phone for parts. Also make sure you alert customer service of the phone being stolen so that the IMEI goes blacklisted, meaning it won't work on any North American carrier's network.
Sometimes last year's flagship will hold you up until your next upgrade, and can be acquired at amazing deals. LG G4 has been on crazy liquidation on Koodo via 3rd party retailers. LG G5 will likely drop around Black Friday. I'm not saying that LG G5 is a great phone, but it'll hold you up.
Userlevel 1
StolenByAThug wrote:

We do not discuss "out of province plans" on this forum.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that this was still hush-hush. Controversial, sure, but wouldn't you agree that the CRTC has done little to nothing to help consumers in uncompetitive provinces like Ontario with reasonable subscriber rates for high data users? I apologize for being outspoken, but Canada is one of the worse offenders in the colusion which telecom giants actively participate in. It's almost disgusting.

I hope your Pixel has a screen lock (pin/pattern/fingerprint/etc.) and that the bootloader is still locked.That way, the thief could only sell the phone for parts. 

I had a lengthy screen lock timeout, so it's still haunting me that the assailant could have gone through my information in the brief moments he had the phone with him. I wish Koodo could, on their end, have helped me lock the phone remotely. - but I later found out that they couldn't do anything to help trace the whereabouts of the phone or deactivate the theif from preying on my information.

Sometimes last year's flagship will hold you up until your next upgrade, and can be acquired at amazing deals

It's hard for a self-indulgent tech geek like myself to hold off on the shinest smartphones on the market. I would ideally like a Pixel 2, but it seems like Google isn't tempting us with any rumors. Are there any flagship offerings from Samsung, LG, Moto, or Sony in the near future to get excited about? Especially those which maybe offered by Koodo on Tab.

Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
StolenByAThug wrote:

I'm excited about the upcoming note 8, but there is no guarantee Koodo will carry it.
Userlevel 1
StolenByAThug wrote:

@Sophia, Note 8 will just be a Galaxy S8 phablet with longer battery higher CPU?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
StolenByAThug wrote:

Haha well I have the same crystal ball (called Google) as yourself... so what I know, you know too 😃 But I can honestly say that the Note 4 and S8+ were the best phones I ever had so I would imagine the Note 8 will be a match made in heaven 😃
Userlevel 6
StolenByAThug wrote:

@StolenByAThug: needless to say, residents of the GTA have paid off their cellphone towers countless times over. That's why there are options such as Chatr and Freedom Mobile who offer lame coverage in exchange for cheaper plans. Apparently, Ontarians are still signing up for post-paid activations with phone agreements, and those of us who have the means of paying less are not complaining.
If my phone is lost or stolen, you bet I'll grab one of my older phones lying around, or get a smashing deal on last year's flagship to hold me up until I can map out a deal on the phone I really want 😛
Userlevel 1
StolenByAThug wrote:

Jumping back to the Nexbit, I just realized it recently received the Android 7.1.1 updates so it's running blazing fast. Who would have thunk that? I just hate the material design and form factor of the thing. It's plasticky and oblong and resembles a Lego creation. Lol
Userlevel 6
StolenByAThug wrote:

Nextbit Robin is an interesting phone. For the price, I can't see anything that could hold you up better until your next upgrade. You get LTE on Koodo, I imagine? Perhaps for resale value it helps if it does LTE band 66 for those who love Freewind, but otherwise not a horrible phone...