Koodo Community
Question

Phone screen cracked on it's own. Now irresponsive and I still have to pay?

• 16 November 2013
  • 72 replies

Show first post

72 replies

Userlevel 2
My parents got extra warranty on it, and that's what I thought. But I literally did nothing. What...The PHONE has a strip, not the battery....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My parents got extra warranty on it, and that's what I thought. But I literally did nothing. What...A phone with a non removable battery usually has a warranty that covers the battery. If it has a removable battery, the battery may not be covered for the full warranty period. Policies vary by manufacturer.
Userlevel 5
My parents got extra warranty on it, and that's what I thought. But I literally did nothing. What...Batteries also have the strip on them sometimes. But the warranties can come in very handy sometimes. Unfortunately warranties don't usually cover water or physical damage. Why? Because its nearly impossible to determine if it was intentional or accidental. If you could get an exchange warranty that covered physical damage, everyone with it would just break their phone when they got bored of it. But where the warranties do come in is when phones have built in batteries that are dead, dead screens (not broken, but lines, burnt pixels), and things of that sort. The thing about warranties is that if you use it, it was well worth it, if you don't, then you feel ripped off, and its all a numbers game for warranty providers.
Userlevel 7
My parents got extra warranty on it, and that's what I thought. But I literally did nothing. What...Our extended warranty rolls over after 24 months as in store credit towards new phone or acc. so there's a pretty low risk to buying it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you bought an extended warranty it is a separate warranty administered by the retailer you bought it from. You would need to check with them to see what it covers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Like was said previously screens don't crack on their own & what it could possibly be is if you were out in the very cold weather and then came inside and it warmed up rapidly it is possible though very unlikely that the temp change may have cracked the screen. Due to it being non responsive however makes it more likely that it was sudden impact such as being dropped or pressure applied to it like when being sat upon. Curious what kind of phone is it?
Userlevel 7
Like was said previously screens don't crack on their own & what it could possibly be is if you w...Something tells me it's an S II X. This has been reported before.
Like was said previously screens don't crack on their own & what it could possibly be is if you w...Yes! Its a Samsung Galaxy Ace II X.. It's a 150$ charge, but I'm not going to pay it, I've opted to just get a new phone. Has anyone here had any problems with the S3? And Paul, It might have been that! It was not in my pocket, it was lying on a counter next to me and I heard a small sound and looked over at my phone and it was cracked. I'm thinking it was either temperature or a very small crack that expanded quickly.
Userlevel 7
Like was said previously screens don't crack on their own & what it could possibly be is if you w...No, the Ace II X and S II X are 2 different phones... but it doens't matter. You're right, the $150 charge is basically replacing the entire phone. You may as well move up to Medium Tab and get the S III or Nexus 4 for free (on Medium Tab) in store! You just pay off your old Tab when you upgrade.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Like was said previously screens don't crack on their own & what it could possibly be is if you w...Or check out the Moto G which is rumoured to be launching on Koodo tomorrow for $200 and it's a much better phone than the Ace 2x but might only be available in an 8gb model
Userlevel 7
If warranty doesn't cover it, plead your case to Koodo and see what they'll do for you.
Userlevel 5
Yeah it would depend on the phone here. I don't have any concrete proof but I heard Samsung sometimes covers singular cracks (with some phones) if they happen within a short period of time after purchase (I think 30 days).
Userlevel 1
I used to have an extended coverage plan with another carrier that did cover anything. I read the fine print and I could accidentally drop it in the pool or run over it with my car and it would be covered. At the time it was important that I be able to get a loaner phone with the same number fast but eventually I did the math on paying for this insurance and decided to buy an unlocked phone on eBay that takes the same size SIM card as a backup. In fact if you do the math, it is always better to buy the phone (either new or used) rather than messing with tabs or other carrier subsidies like contracts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I used to have an extended coverage plan with another carrier that did cover anything. I read the...Completely agree as I was paying $7 a month for the insurance and then another $200 deductible when you make a claim if you can send back the old one or $300 if you lost your device or it was stolen and couldn't send them the device back. They send you a refurbished device and if they don't have any in stock you have to wait till they get someone elses broken device and fix it for them to send you one. It's not as great as some ppl make it out to be and cheaper to do what Steve said.
Userlevel 1
I used to have an extended coverage plan with another carrier that did cover anything. I read the...I read tech section in BBC app. Apparently the Japanese are heavily into water proof cell phones and its not uncommon to talk with someone taking a shower. So I'm wondering why, we as Canadians, don't have a Canadian branded phone, so to speak. A cell phone that does not break when dropped. Does not fill with condensation, going from harsh cold winter day, to room temperature....so on and so on
Userlevel 7
I used to have an extended coverage plan with another carrier that did cover anything. I read the...Well there is always the option of a sturdy, waterproof case. Blackberry is a canadian branded company with its own OS. Also there are already pretty rugged phones out there, such as the samsung galaxy rugby. Not disagreeing, just saying. 🙂
Userlevel 6
Brianne, was your phone in your pocket when you heard the screen crack? I'm asking because, as we all know, body parts (in this case, your thigh that the phone was resting against) aren't flat like phone screens are. While the plastic body of the phone will flex to some extent, glass won't, so as your pants were pressing the phone against your thigh, the plastic flexed, making the body of your phone [i]not flat, thus forcing the screen to follow up and flex too, which it didn't, for obvious reasons. That is the most common reason I've seen screens crack for lack of any other apparent reason.
Userlevel 1
accidents happen and you do have to pay
it still shouldn't crack that easy if it was in the pocket or not my phone did the same damn thing 3 days after i had gotten it. I never dropped it..the phone should be able to sit in your pocket regardless how tight your pants are or fat your thighs are! Samsung is cheap
Userlevel 4
it still shouldn't crack that easy if it was in the pocket or not my phone did the same damn thin...Tight pants = more tension on the phone which equals potential cracks in the screen. Cell phones are not indestructible. Also, this thread was 24 days old and no need for further comments.
http://androidnews.co.in/2013/11/09/sony-replace-xperia-phones-cracked-screens-due-manufacturing-defect/ Samsung has same problems, but wont admit their design fault. I had one, single crack in an otterbox case. Never dropped, never put in pants pockets. It does happen whether you want to believe it or not.
Userlevel 2
http://androidnews.co.in/2013/11/09/sony-replace-xperia-phones-cracked-screens-due-manufacturing...All phones have the potential of sustaining physical damage. I've had 5+ phones, not one has ever had a single crack. There is ALWAYS a reason why physical damage happens.
Myke, I hate to tell you but there is such a thing as manufacturer defects. Believe it or not, it does happen. It hasnt happened to you, awesome. It happens and has happened to enough people for Sony to admit it. The physical damage has a reason, manufacturer defect. Please stop trying to convince everyone otherwise. I have had about 20+ phones and never had a problem until the s4.
Userlevel 2
Myke, I hate to tell you but there is such a thing as manufacturer defects. Believe it or not, it...With physical damage? I doubt it. If you believe your phone has an issue, then take it up with the manufacturer. Regardless of what the cause is, if it's physical damage, it is not covered under warranty & for that, you'll need to discuss with the manufacturer.
i ended up saying screw it to the other phone and got an s4 for 0$ with another company. i did nothing to have my other phone crack, it was bizarre. it was simply sitting on a flat room temperature counter and the screen cracked. not only did it crack all the way down the screen but it left my screen not working anymore. i wasn't impressed, shit happens. no need to sweat the small stuff. happy new year everyone!