Koodo Community
Question

Phone screen cracked on it's own. Now irresponsive and I still have to pay?

• 16 November 2013
  • 72 replies

My phone screen cracked with literally no physical damage. I heard a sound and looked over and it had a huge crack from top to bottom. It's irresponsive too. I have warranty, but it doesn't cover that. Why would I pay for warranty if it doesn't cover this? Ridiculous.

72 replies

Userlevel 7
It cracked on its own? That's weird. sadly koodo won't cover for damage like that I think. You might be able to explain that it cracked on its own.
Userlevel 2
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage. Either way, the phone is out of warranty. Warranty does not cover physical damage. You don't pay for warranty as it's automatically included.
Userlevel 1
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....Plastic does crack on its own, GMC just replaced my tail light that had no signs of damage whatsoever on it.
Userlevel 2
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....I've owned many plastic items. No once has plastic ever cracked. Please provide me proof that can crack on it's own, because I can't find any. And it must be a reputable source.
Userlevel 1
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....Gosh Myke what was I thinking. Your absolutely correct. Every piece of plastic manufactured IS PERFECT and IMPERVIOUS to HEAT EXPANSION and COLD CONTRACTION and THEREFORE CANNOT "JUST CRACK". Those old yellow "plex-glass" windows filled with thousands of hair line fractures, are fakes, made to LOOK like they are DRIED OUT because plastic is perfect.
Userlevel 1
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....I also suggest that turning on the cell phone hotspot can create enough heat to crack the plastic screen, inside the metal frame, when both plastic and metal heat expand.
Userlevel 2
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....I'm not saying the plastic is perfect, but your idea that plastic just cracks on it's own is ludicrous. You've yet to provide me with evidence that supports your "claim". So unless you're going to provide me that, don't bother replying.
Userlevel 1
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....Brianne said it happened AND you AGREED with her Myke because you stated in YOUR WRITTEN EVIDENCE that, "im not saying that plastic is perfect". So you prove Brianne wrong with YOUR EVIDENCE. Post a letter from Samsung Board of Directors addressed to Myke the Koodo Kid that states "Samsung uses only perfect plastic in all it's s2x model phones and as such phone screen can never, just crack".
Userlevel 1
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....Im still waiting Myke. For the Samsung Warranty that states, "Samsung batteries are warrantied against WATER DAMAGE AND HEAT DAMAGE".
Userlevel 2
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....You're still waiting for me? Why? You clearly have no want to be open minded about information. As such, I have little reason to continue a discussion with you. This isn't the first time either. And no, don't take this as a victory either. I just can't be arsed to continue a conversation with you. Maybe when you are capable of being open minded and accepting information, and facts against your own, biased opinion, then we can have a discussion.
Userlevel 2
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....This will be my final post in this topic, unless anything else warrants a response. Plastic does not break/crack on it's own. There will always be a factor, whether it's a production defect or something else. Something as easy as it being too cold and it bumping something can be enough to crack it. That still counts as physical damage, no matter how you try to spin it. As for the battery, Koodo's warranty states that there is no coverage for physical/water damage on any part of the phone. If the customer wishes to dispute this further then they can contact the manufacturer.
A crack doesn't happen just on it's own. It would of had to sustain some type of physical damage....Thank you Myke! I'm suspecting it might have been a change in temperature or a very small crack that happened when I didn't notice that expanded. It just frustrated me that it worked great then cracked and became unresponsive and now I need to cough up $150. That's life though I guess!
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together and looked over and it's cracked in the middle, top to bottom. The whole side of the screen wouldn't work so it couldn't be used. It's so frustrating! How would I explain to them that it cracked on its own?
Userlevel 1
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together an...If the plastic "run"/crack was straight up and down, it followed it's grain line. Also, plastic "crimmped" OR "preasure" fitted into a metal frame is subject to cracking/splitting along grain line and in the case of plastic watch crystals, can shatter completely, because of conflicting grains (where top meets sides and pressure is added to bottom of sides).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together an...Why are you guys talking about plastic when it's the display that cracked which is made out of glass, gorilla glass not plastic. Also there is no way polycarbonate which is what the phone is made of can crack by its self as many tests have been done with putting Samsung phones in an oven and in a freezer and not once was the polycarbonate body cracked. The only way it ever cracks is when dropped or compressed with a lot of force. If plastic gets very cold it becomes brittle and the slightest bump can crack it but it's still physical damage
Userlevel 2
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together an...That's what I've been trying to tell Stephen, but he refuses to listen and only wants to ramble on about his own opinion, as opposed to sticking to the facts. Only reason why I mentioned plastic is because that's what was mentioned.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together an...I know, we both seem to agree & see it the exact same Myke
Userlevel 2
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together an...Birds of a feather 😉.
Userlevel 1
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together an...Awwww thats so sweet boys. Gorilla glass can't "just break" myke say so and thats that. Every piece of gorilla glass made for every phone is perfect and therfore Brianne is lieing.
Userlevel 2
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together an...Do you have anything to actually add Stephen, or did you just waste your time by typing out a reply that has nothing of value?
Yeah I know! I was sitting in class doing work and heard a sound two marbles clicking together an...I just saw this. Thank you Myke and Paul for being reasonable instead of making false claims on a website. I'm not sure exactly what it was, I was very impressed that the phone held out for that long without a case anyways. Yet, I did absolutely nothing to the phone when it cracked. I literally glanced over in class while doing an assignment and it had a crack from top to bottom almost an inch from the side of the phone, which left the side of the screen unresponsive. Usually most cracks will at least allow the user to continue using the phone, that is why I became frustrated. I've decided I'm not going to pay the $150 for repair as I can pay just about that much for a brand new phone. I'm looking at the S3, have you heard anything good/bad on them? Thank you for your time gentlemen! 🙂
My parents got extra warranty on it, and that's what I thought. But I literally did nothing. What would warranty cover then?
Userlevel 1
My parents got extra warranty on it, and that's what I thought. But I literally did nothing. What...Nothing. Warranties are a scam. Period. Lets see now, a phone warranty that does not cover screen, battery or software.....hmmmm! But I bet it covers a "free loaner" phone that is already a free loaner phone from Koodo and at least one of there competitors
Userlevel 2
My parents got extra warranty on it, and that's what I thought. But I literally did nothing. What...Phone warranty covers the battery. Please research before making inaccurate claims.
Userlevel 1
My parents got extra warranty on it, and that's what I thought. But I literally did nothing. What...Manufactures warranty does not cover wet batteries, never has. Remember the little stickers, on the battery, that changed color when exposed, to wet? Also not covered, is batteries left in sun to bake, to the point of battery "bubbles". I don't know about the various and differing After Market warranties.