Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Phone overuse, too expensive

Is there a way to block a phone use once the 200 minute limit is reached? My wife goes way over and it cost me an extra $100 at 45 cents a minute last month. She has unlimited texting.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Now, if this was a child, I would hold the kid responsible and have them pay via chores, a job, etc. Or I would have them on prepaid since I cant trust them. You can also move to a higher plan with unlimited calling. Or there's also apps. Limit My Calls, Control Your Calls As 2 adults, I would simply explain to her the charges and effects of overage due to usage without due care. I think it is reasonable for an adult to control themselves and monitor them selves since they are paying for the extra costs. If not then they shouldnt be allowed to own a phone.
Userlevel 6
It can only block outgoing calls, however, if she's using an Android device you might want to install this App & once you see in Self Serve that she's almost at her limit, you enable it-> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.insadco.roamingcontrol (there's also a free trial version) It's not perfect, but might help minimize your overages.
Userlevel 7
I'm on the idea that she's on the wrong plan. An upgraded plan will probably save you more than the hassles associated with imposing limits on another adult.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

I'm on the idea that she's on the wrong plan. An upgraded plan will probably save you more than t...

No more minutes for you!!!
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

I'm on the idea that she's on the wrong plan. An upgraded plan will probably save you more than t...

Yeah, sounds like she's better off with at least the 1,000 minutes plan. Also, there's something available not advertised: $50 Unlimited Canada-wide calling, unlimited international (outgoing from Canada) texts, and call display/voice-mail. That way she can talk as much as she wants all day long with less headaches on the bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Yeah! If I went over my allotted minutes, my husband would... would... er... oh wait I'm the one holding the purse strings 🙂
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

There's always prepaid too.
Thanks for the tips. We are on the Canada Wide Double Promo 30, that averages about $85 per month for both phones. She forgot that it includes free calling after 7 evenings and weekends.. I see there is a $20 addon for unlimited calling. Maybe that's the best choice?
Userlevel 7
nitromike wrote:

Thanks for the tips. We are on the Canada Wide Double Promo 30, that averages about $85 per month...

Save ya 80$ a month!
nitromike wrote:

Thanks for the tips. We are on the Canada Wide Double Promo 30, that averages about $85 per month...

Our plan includes unlimited texting.. Is this International? She texts with a friend in S. Africa, but I have not seen extra charges. I wonder what a phone call would cost!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
nitromike wrote:

Texting internationally is free with Koodo 🙂 Calling to South Africa is $0.50 if you don't have a LD saver add-on, $0.05 if you do: http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/long-distance
nitromike wrote:

Very reasonable. Thanks!
nitromike wrote:

I added the LD saver. Is it five cents per minute anytime of day or night? Does it use part of the 200 minutes if a call is made before 7?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
nitromike wrote:

Yes