Koodo Community

Community

Question

Phone not able to receive or make calls - no dial tone

As per the title, my Samsung Galaxy S7 on Koodo is having a problem where I am not receiving any calls (there is no notification and callers are directed straight to my voicemail) and I cannot place any outgoing calls. I cannot even call into my own voicemail. When I try to place an outgoing call, the call screen comes up and it says it is "Dialing". However, there is no dial tone or any sound and after about 20 seconds the call stops.

This is the second time I have had this problem. The first time it lasted for about a day, a few months ago. It resolved itself before I was able to determine the cause of the problem. This time the problem has lasted for approximately two days so far. I have not noticed any other problems or symptoms with the phone. I have full strength signal and I can use data and other apps fine on both wifi and the mobile network.

I am interested in determining the cause of the issue and would like to find a way to resolve it. Thank you very much.

23 replies

Also, I have confirmed that I can still send and receive text messages. The problem seems limited to the phone app or the phone-related hardware itself.
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Also, I have confirmed that I can still send and receive text messages. The problem seems limited...

I have the same issue now while switch to s new phone
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Also, I have confirmed that I can still send and receive text messages. The problem seems limited...

6 days not able to make calls or receive them. Contacted apple support and went through a few various related situations - they said it’s definitely the carrier. And well, what do you know, calling like an idiot for the last hour and know one picks up the phone. Wonderful!!!! #kodoomobile
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

@Brandy do you have a prepaid or postpaid account? Can you send and receive text messages?
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

My text messages work fine, I can play videos etc. I just spoke to someone that says I may need a new SIM card? Why!!!!
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Prepaid or postpaid account? If you're on prepaid do you have any minutes left on your calling booster?
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

I bought the phone through Rogers, and switched to Koodo. It’s paid for. I’m not on a prepaid plan.
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Has the phone ever worked with Koodo since you switched? Do you have the Koodo sim card in the phone? Is the phone from Rogers unlocked so it will work with the Koodo network?
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

I have the SIM card from kodoo! 🙂
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

My phone isn’t unlocked either.
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

You need to get your phone unlocked from Rogers so it will work with Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

@Brandy: if you can receive the text, then the phone was properly unlocked. Have you tried to restart the phone?, also reset the network settings and see if it help (settings --> Reset --> Reset Network settings)
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

She could be sending/receiving texts through imessage over wifi. If it was regular texts then ya it is already unlocked.
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Okay, then it’s definitely unlocked then LOL
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Does it show you connected to Koodo network in the top left corner of your iphone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

@Brandy: Did the phone work fine on Rogers network? you might want to try the reset network settings. Also have you tried the SIM in another phone? if it was the SIM problem, you could go to a koodo kiosk and ask them to check/replace it.
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Derrick Dodgson wrote:

It shows that it’s on wifi
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

It also shows 2 bars of Koodo Service.

Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Ok so your phone is not locked and you're connected to Koodo. You have went through Apple support. If you have restarted your phone and reset your network connections the phone should work. As Dinh said, try your sim card in another working phone. If still the same problem the sim could be bad.
Derrick Dodgson wrote:

Okay, thank you guys
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you have "Do not disturb" mode activated?
Userlevel 3
Hi Derrick, I have the same exact issue. This started after I got the Nougat (Android 7.0) update. Restarting the phone fixes the issue. The only way to fix it permanently would be:
1. Downgrade to Marshmallow (Android 6.0.1)
2. Wait for an update that would fix this
I think the rumours before the Nougat update that Carriers and Samsung were having issues with Calls and Messages were true. They rushed the update without fixing it. 
Hope it helps.