Koodo Community

Community

Solved

phone is soooo sloooow

So i brought my Unlocked Samsung galaxy s3 with me when i switched to koodo(monthly plan) from virgin mobile (pre paid ) and ever since my phone has been extreamly slow . My screen at times will go black and then load and other times it freeze then load and then freeze again . Is there a reason why it would all of a sudden do this after i switched?

8 replies

Badge +4
Hi Samantha, Switching carriers wouldn't have any effect on the overall performance of the phone. The S3 is an older device and may be starting to show signs of age. You can try deleting apps that you don't use that much. If that doesn't work, back up the contents of your phone to your computer and perform a factory reset. (Go to: Settings > Backup & reset). If the problem persists, you may want to look into getting a newer device.
Userlevel 4
You can also try using a 3rd party app like "Cheetah Mobile Clean Master" that will scan your phone and identify temporary files (ie. log files created by Android and other apps on your phone) that can be safely deleted.  Also, be mindful of how many programs you have open at a time.  It is very easy to unknowingly have dozens of windows open at the same time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JeremyESQ wrote:

You can also try using a 3rd party app like "Cheetah Mobile Clean Master" that will scan your pho...

There's so much spam / push notifications and crap that comes with clean master now that I wouldn't install it on a device anymore, it's gone way down hill in the last year or two.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Your phone model is turning 4 next month, and unfortunately, that generation of phones has not aged well (even the flagship models such as yours). There are budget to midrange offerings that perform much better than your S3. My advice would be to start looking to upgrade. Not necessarily immediately, as you have a working phone, but sooner rather than later.
You may also try doing a hard reset on the phone or a factory wipe.  Be sure to back up your contacts on gmail before doing this (in addition to any other files you'd want to save).  I noticed the same problem with my S3 last year. Unfortunately they tend to get bogged down the longer you use the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Samsung bloatware really chokes their older flagships. The S3 especially for whatever reason. It appears to be a simple coincidence that your phone chose this time to crap out. A factory reset or totally device wipe could help. I'd follow Ivan's advice and upgrade to a budget/midrange smartphone. It will be significantly better. I've seen Moto G 2015's do better than Galaxy S4's after a year.
I'm personally a fan of Motorola, especially with their new Moto G (2015).  If you're in the market for a new phone its certainly a good option - especially because Motorola receives software updates before most Samsung phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sam Dmitruk wrote:

I'm personally a fan of Motorola, especially with their new Moto G (2015).  If you're in the...

Although at this point, I would suggest waiting if at all possible. The 2016 G and G+ should be out in a few months. If not, it's still a great phone to grab. I have unfortunaterly seen USB charging port issues with the X Play but otherwise I'm not aware of any significant issues. Certainly not in the G.