Koodo Community

Community

Solved

phone formally on telus

Old samsung phone formally on telus. One year ago cancelled and paid out contract. Left for Uae arrive back they demanding more money. If I sign up with koodo will they chase me for the telus money they claim I owe that I do not?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
No, but your Samsung phone may be blacklisted. Source : expérience
Chad Burr wrote:

They're not allowed to do that. The blacklist is for stolen/lost phones and that is not the case in this situation. I know one person who complained to the CCTS because his carrier had blacklisted his phone due to non-payment and got the phone un-blacklisted.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Telus may have banned (blacklisted) it on their network but not reported to the stolen database, as is the case with my Storm/Pearl/HTC Windows 6 phone.
Userlevel 5
Chad Burr wrote:

Sometimes Telus can blacklist a person too, and I believe since they own Koodo this can carry on to Koodo. No way of knowing for sure if they've been blacklisted until they try to activate however.
Nice. So glad they can blacklist a phone I paid for already
Userlevel 7
Munro Kamloops wrote:

You need to contact koodo with proof of payments or any other information you have in regards to the acct. Get it straightened out because it can harm your credit here.
Munro Kamloops wrote:

Lol I attempted to straighren it out with telus, got no where. As for cedit I normally pay cash anyway. I just returned from UAE so I don't really care what they attempt to do to my credit. Not wasting anymore time on it. If they blacklusted the phone wull just get a new one on prepaid or buy one out right.
Userlevel 5
Munro Kamloops wrote:

Some phones are not available for outright purchase on Prepaid but you can check them out here: https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/prepaid/index.html
Userlevel 1
Blacklisting a phone for non-payment is illegal. The law was strictly designed for lost or stolen phones, and carriers that put the phone on the blacklist are breaking the law. Source: http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/ (see Disclaimer #3), The worst they can do is block the phone on their network, and since Koodo runs on the Telus network, and technically legally is Telus, it can be blocked. See if your phone is blacklisted in the above link. If it is, you can file a formal complaint with the CCTS here: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form Once that is taken care of, and if you don't feel that the final bill is justified, you can take it up with Telus to save your credit rating, but you'll have to take your business elsewhere. Seeing as you just got back from overseas, it would appear that you've already unlocked your phone so popping in a SIM from another carrier shouldn't be an issue.
Quote : "In certain circumstances, a wireless service provider may block a particular wireless device because of billing issues with the owner. In such cases, the wireless device would not appear on the Blacklist, however the wireless device would remain blocked with that carrier. Other Canadian wireless carriers may or may not allow such a wireless device to be used on their wireless networks. The fact that a wireless device does not appear on the Blacklist does not guarantee it will not be blocked."
Userlevel 7
Cody Williams wrote:

Quote : "In certain circumstances, a wireless service provider may block a particular wireless de...

Hey Cody, this thread was last active 5 months ago.
Cody Williams wrote:

Quote : "In certain circumstances, a wireless service provider may block a particular wireless de...

cool, now, 33 mins ago. Look at the time stamp.