Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Phone deals vs. Monthly Packages

I have been watching koodo website for two weeks now, and koodo changed their prices 3 times for phones Samsung 5 by dropping price by about $200 which they ran out off, and Samsung 5s neo and samsung 6, which both were dropped in prices as well but increased monthly from $15+ to $21+. 

I pay  $50 a month. If I get Samsung 6 for $100, is my monthly bill going up by $21 a month ($71), and im still going to get same package of 1000 minutes, unlimited text/pics, and 1gb data? Or I will get what the phone package of $75 gives? unlimited minutes, text, and 3gb?

Cause if thats the case, these are not deals for the customers but rather deals for koodos pockets.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
You would have to take a tab plus plan in order to get the deal for $100 down. ($21 a month)
If you want to keep your $50 plan you would have to put $400 down. ($15 a month tab charge)
https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Plans#
So, you are saying the plan does not change. I just pay more for the same?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
david wrote:

S6 is $760 phone.  
If you use "Tab", you pay $400 upfront,and you will pay $15 /mo tab charge for next 24 months.

So your plan stay same, you pay $15/mo  more for your phone.
david wrote:

Samsung 6 is listed for $100 on Tab Plus (and S6 Edge is $350) with $21 extra a month for 24 months. I don't see anything about having to pay $400 upfront. 

I'm so confused, I see you talking about Tab and not Tab plus, but koodo website only shows these phones  S6, S6 Edge and Note 4 as TAB PLUS. I also dont understand what's the point of tab, if im paying for the phone, and it's not like before where paying monthly contributes to the tab. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
david wrote:

Click on the S6 > It will show you "Pick a Tab type" option
If you pick "Tab" option, it will show you $400 upfront + $15/mo for 24 month

If you pick "Tab Plus", you pay only $100 upfront but your monthly tab charge will be $21 for 24 months.  AND you have to switch to one of the Tab Plus plan.
I don't recommend Tab plus plan because it's not worth for your money.  You pay more for less data included. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
david wrote:

I don't see any tab plus plans anymore...  Is it just the $21 a month now and no special plan?  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moe Jones wrote:

I don't see any tab plus plans anymore...  Is it just the $21 a month now and no special pla...

Scroll down the plan page, you will see tab plus plans. Again, I don't recommend to take the Tab plus plan. If you want to buy an expensive phone, I would save some money and pay extra upfront then use the Tab. So you can keep your plan and monthly tab fee will be lower - $15/mo instead of $21/ mo
Moe Jones wrote:

I don't see any tab plus plans anymore...  Is it just the $21 a month now and no special pla...

Thank you Mayumi.

I noticed, for Samsung 6 Edge, that with my tab credit $85, taking the Tab Plus ($15 upfront will save me $250 dollars vs. Tab ($415) will end-up costing me $775 which is the full price upfront.

Tab = $415 upfront + $15 x 24mo. ($360) = $775.00
Tab Plus = $15 upfront + $21 x 24mo. ($504) = $519.00

Am I missing something?

** Update. I just noticed (re-read your earlier post) I'd have to switch to one of the tab plus plans. 😞

I can pick similar plan and raise month by another $14 dollars (2 years) $336 + $519 =  $855.. 

And that's why she said "Tab". 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moe Jones wrote:

For the phone price, You are not missing anything. Yes, they have an activation credit wit the Tab plus.

I always calculate what will be the total price at the end. And if you want to use the Tab Plus, you have to pick a plan from the Tab plus plan

With Tab: $775 phone price + your plan $50 x 24mo = $1975
With Tab plus : $519 phone price + cheapest plan $54 x 24mo = $1815

So, Tab plus would be cheaper.
But what your $50 included(minutes and data)?   $54 tab plus plan includes 200 min, 500MB.  Are those numbers enough for your needs? 
If it's all good, then choice is yours 🙂

Add: I read your update 🙂  Yes, Tab plus have to use Tab plus plan which is more expensive and less features. That's why I don't want to recommend it.