Koodo Community

Phone call audio out not working - Moto one 5G Ace

• 21 September 2021
  • 8 replies

I got the Moto One 5g Ace recently and since getting it, when I am on a phone call, my audio is fine however whoever I am speaking to says my audio is cutting in and out often for them. I have tried a few trouble shooting options including changing to a new SIM card but the audio is still not clear for the recipient. I am not sure what else to do to try and fix the issue or if there is just something wrong with the actual phone. i use this phone for work as well as personal so it’s important that the audio works. I’m not sure what else to do!

rikkster 2 years ago

Try covering the noise-cancelling microphone with a small piece of electrical or similar tape. The noise cancelling microphone is located on the top of the handset. The purpose of this microphone is to cancel background noise during a call so that callers hear your voice clearly. Try a few test calls to see if this workaround makes a difference.

By covering the noise-cancelling microphone this limits the amount of background noise captured, which in turn, reduces the processing of sound information required for noise cancellation. This band-aid fix worked on some older LG and Motorola phones.

Another option is to place your Moto One 5G Ace in Safe Mode. This mode loads the original apps that came with your phone similar to when the phone was first purchased. If outbound call audio works as it should in Safe Mode, then a rogue app may be causing the issue. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then this may be a software or hardware problem. 

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/156779 

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you have a friend/family members phone or an old phone that you can put your sim card in and see if you notice the same issues?

How long ago did you get the phone?

Hi Allan M,

The phone is fairly new, only a about a month or so. It’s a new phone too (not refurbished). I was having the same issue with my old SIM card in this phone which is why I have tried using the new SIM card in it to see if that would improve the issue without much luck. I can try using someone else’s SIM but I have a feeling it’s not a SIM card issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @Allan M 

Along with trying swapping your SIM into another phone as previously suggested, here are a few more things I recommend trying to help pinpoint the issue…

• Place test calls to this echo-test number: +1 226 244 4444 - It will repeat back whatever it hears from you. This will allow you hear your own audio without needing to involve someone else.
  • Test calls using alternate audio paths to rule out a problem with the earpiece, ie: switch between speakerphone, wired earphones/headset via 3.5mm jack if available, Bluetooth headset, etc. If you hear poor auto coming back, try switching between these during audio inputs/sources duirng the same call as well to see if it is only a problem with one audio source, phone orientation, etc.
  • Test calls with a free Wi-Fi calling app to see if the problem persists on calls that don’t use your Koodo service. Two highly regarded apps are Fongo Mobile, and TextNow. Both will give you a second Canadian number to use. You can also use the previously noted echo-test number with these apps as well to see if you send poor audio no matter if its a native phone call, or  phone calls using other apps too.
  • Testing calls with data only apps like WhatsApp, facebook messenger etc.

Good luck! Looking forward to hear the results of your tests.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you bought from koodo's webstore the return policy is 30days. How long have you had this phone? 

@Nezgar @Dennis 

I can’t find an exact date to confirm but it looks like I ordered it at the end of July and it arrived early August so I guess having the phone replaced is out of the question now… :/ 

I used the echoback number and if I used speaker phone there was an issue with the audio back. If I switched speaker phone off in the same call there was still an issue. If I called and stayed off speaker phone it seemed okay. If I turned speaker phone on and off then there was an issue from then on. I don’t have head phones to check with right now (in the market for a new pair) but when I do I’ll try again with those. I’ll try and test with whatsapp later but since I can’t use that for work I would only be able to test that as a reference. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try covering the noise-cancelling microphone with a small piece of electrical or similar tape. The noise cancelling microphone is located on the top of the handset. The purpose of this microphone is to cancel background noise during a call so that callers hear your voice clearly. Try a few test calls to see if this workaround makes a difference.

By covering the noise-cancelling microphone this limits the amount of background noise captured, which in turn, reduces the processing of sound information required for noise cancellation. This band-aid fix worked on some older LG and Motorola phones.

Another option is to place your Moto One 5G Ace in Safe Mode. This mode loads the original apps that came with your phone similar to when the phone was first purchased. If outbound call audio works as it should in Safe Mode, then a rogue app may be causing the issue. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then this may be a software or hardware problem. 

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/156779 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Newt422 

Maybe the “real time echo test” is not the best test, since the immediate repeating of what you send might get cancelled out by the phone.

Here’s another Canadian test call number you can try: +1 416 342 9562 (as per https://thetestcall.blogspot.com/ )

This test allows you to record a message for as long as you like, then after pressing “#” it will then repeat it back to you. After that it has some other options too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the solutions above doesn't work, then it's very likely a physical mic issue. I would try to plug in a head set to test if that solves things