Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Packet Data/ picture Messaging

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2X with Koodo on the $25 plan that includes text and picture messaging, In order to picture message, I heard you need enable packet data. I have also had the Koodo network block my phone from using any data, as I do not need it. So if I turn the pocket data on will it charge me?

37 replies

Since you have a data block, it won't matter if you turn the data on. You would need to remove the data block in order for the phone to connect to the data network.
Userlevel 2
No it will not charge until you use data.
i have the same problem with my phone it will not send picture messages ever
Userlevel 7
after you remove the data block follow this tutorial to get picture messaging without using data. Setting up A Koodo phone for MMS with no additional Data Access FOR ANDROID DEVICES Thanks and partial credit to John Burke Navigate to Settings / Wireless controls / Mobile networks / access point names You'll be creating two APN's Add the first apn (usually by hitting the menu key and tapping ADD NEW) Note: in the example below please omit the spaces between the http: and the address This is done because some websites shorten URL's Input the following settings (leaving designated fields blank): APN NAME: Koodo (NoData) APN: sp.koodo.com Proxy server: Port: Username: Password: Server: MMSC: Proxy server: Port: MCC : MNC : APN type :internet Save this entry (usually by hitting the menu key and selecting SAVE) Now create a Second APN using the following settings APN Name: Koodo MMS ALLOW APN: sp.koodo.com Proxy server: 74.49.0.18 Port: 80 Username: Password: Server: MMSC: http: //aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc Proxy server: 74.49.0.18 Port: 80 MCC : 302 MNC : 220 APN type :mms Now save this entry as you did the first. On the list of available Access Point Names you'll notice three (or more) entries. Select the Koodo (NoDATA) apn and make it active (you'll notice you can not choose the Koodo MMS ALLOW entry) Exit the APN menu. You'll notice the 3G or 4G data indicator has disappeared leaving only the Signal strength indicator. IF YOU HAD PREVIOUSLY TRIED AND FAILED TO SEND PICTURES IT MAY TAKE A FEW MINUTES FOR THE INDICATOR TO DISAPPEAR. When you do send a picture the Data indicator will re-appear and the picture should be sent. Same when you get a picture message.
Chad Burr wrote:

after you remove the data block follow this tutorial to get picture messaging without using data...

this didnt work for me and i made sure everything was exactly how it is here.
Chad Burr wrote:

after you remove the data block follow this tutorial to get picture messaging without using data...

I can't leave the MCC and MNC fields blank. Is that ok? And also the 4G symbol is up all the time. My photo's are sending but I don't want any data being used.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

MCC and MNC default automatically to 302 (Canada) and 220 (Koodo). The apn for the Koodo (No Data) apn needs to be changed for this trick to work. It can be anything other than what is listed as here. Easiest is to change it to spp.koodo.com, but you can also change it to something like "totally.wrong.apn". The instructions posted here, unfortunately, cannot be edited anymore because there are already comments on them.
AHHH! 😃 thank you soo much!!! 🙂 it worked!!!!1
Userlevel 7
Grace Duncan wrote:

AHHH! 😃 thank you soo much!!! 🙂 it worked!!!!1

you used the trick posted above?
Userlevel 7
Brayden Gagne wrote:

Hmm. Doesn't seem to work for me.

Re read the steps. Make sure your data isn't blocked on Koodo's end. Try changing from default apn type to internet
Userlevel 7
Brayden Gagne wrote:

What's the problem exactly? We can't help if you don't tell us what went wrong
I've tried all the steps that Chad Burr posted, however, i still cannot send or recieve pictures without turning on data usage and being charged data. Although, right after i restarted my phone the first time after doing those steps, it immedietley sent two pictures that i tried to send about a month ago but would not send any other pictures after that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The steps listed above still require that your data be turned on, they just prevent anything but picture messaging from using it. Data used for picture messaging is not chargeable as long as your plan includes unlimited mms.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The steps listed above still require that your data be turned on, they just prevent anything but ...

O I didn't ask the question but that's what I have been wondering. Thanks!
Oh ok. I was a little concerned when sending or recieving a picture message would use data. Thank you for the help.
Any chance there's a fix like this for the Iphone? I called asking them to block data 'cause I keep getting charged stupid fees (for things running in the background...my own fault for not shutting everything down before turning the data on to send a pic) - but was told I can either keep doing this and just "be more careful" or have data blocked and then I can't use picture messaging (which to me is unacceptable - they're two separate services according to their rate plans, so why should they be tied together in this matter....)
Skittles wrote:

Any chance there's a fix like this for the Iphone? I called asking them to block data 'cause I ke...

Unfortunately no. MMS require an active data connection in order to send & receive media files(such as pictures). While the services are separate, 3g data is required for the transferring of MMS. That's just how the HSPA service is and there's nothing Koodo can do about it.
Userlevel 5
Skittles wrote:

Any chance there's a fix like this for the Iphone? I called asking them to block data 'cause I ke...

Can't you just unblock your data services and turn off data in the settings of your phone? That should solve your unwanted data charges...
@Chad Burr Thanks for this. Huge help!!!
How do you prevent it from jumping back to the original APN setting?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Intist Sro wrote:

How do you prevent it from jumping back to the original APN setting?

On LG you can't. On Samsung it doesn't.
You will not be charged for data as long as you do not access the internet. I had the same problem but I just did not use the internet while using picture messaging
I have complained to crtc everyone else should too. Koodo is fishing for data users. How can they advertise an option without having data.
Userlevel 4
bill smith wrote:

I have complained to crtc everyone else should too. Koodo is fishing for data users. How can they...

Fishing for data users? Can you elaborate more on this? I am VERY curious.