Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Owned an LG G4 one day and I'm regreting buying it already. HELP!

My phone won't play any of the videos I record.
I can't find the FM radio which I was told at the KOODO kiosk that it had.
I'm frustrated beyond belief. I bought this phone mainly for the video abilities.
Can anyone tell me how to get either of these things working?

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have had issues playing anything over 720p myself on the LG G3 once i hit Marshmallow. Try recording a quick video in 720 or 13 in the video settings. and see if it plays back. Also i thought the FM radio was only on the korean model. In the U.S, AT&T disabled the Fm radio, so maybe KoodoTelus has done the same. If you got your phone at a koodo kiosk with other providers within it, it could have been a mis communication on behalf of the agent.

Im sorry your having these issues. You can also, back up your phone and do a factory reset to try and get the playback of videos to work. Keep in mind, this is a drastic measure and yu will have to set up your phone again as if it were new.

Best of luck
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you want to return the phone, note that you have 15 days to do so or else you are stuck with it
Dennis wrote:

If you want to return the phone, note that you have 15 days to do so or else you are stuck with it

I have a feeling it'll be back before the end of the day. What a shame...it claimed to have all the features of the S6 for a fraction of the cost. Now I know why it's a fraction of the cost. First LG product, possibly my last.

I'm actually getting fed up with Koodo after being with them for years. I make 4 trips to Walmart to buy a phone and every one I asked for they didn't sell. Either they represent Koodo or they don't.

Considering all this ^, I'm pissed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Definitely a Walmart issue.  They dont have the highest standards.

If possible I would go to a Koodo Kiosk, Best Buy, or The Mobile Shop inside a Loblaws/Superstore
Dennis wrote:

I bought it from the Koodo kiosk in the end because Walmart had none of the phones Koodo advertises.
The entire experience is maddening.
Still nothing.

[b]playback error

video player encountered an error with
this media. please try refreshing the media
library
Userlevel 1
You can just download a third party app from the play store like MXplayer for playing any videos. It supports almost all major video formats.
tushar kango wrote:

You can just download a third party app from the play store like MXplayer for playing any videos....

I did. Same result.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
tushar kango wrote:

You can just download a third party app from the play store like MXplayer for playing any videos....

If its a corrupt file. No media player will work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I strongly reccomend a factory wipe of the phone. And try again. Could have been a bad install of the OS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you talking videos you've recorded with the camera or videos that you've downloaded? I'm thinking you mean camera but just making sure.

If you mean record with the camera then are you recording them to the SD card or internal storage? If there is a setting to record to internal or SD card in the camera settings then try internal and if it works it could be a corrupt or damaged SD card.

If you mean download then try downloading vlc for Android.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Are you talking videos you've recorded with the camera or videos that you've downloaded? I'm thin...

I had a new Class 10 SanDisk 32 GB memory card installed and tried recording video in every available resolution. I tried playback while still in camera mode (preview). I tried playing them with the basic player that came on the phone and also tried MX and another. No luck. I also updated all CODECS though I knew if I had the right one to record it should also play. Still nothing.
I went back to the Koodo kiosk and the first guy I talked to was baffled. He called over the resident guru and he deleted Google+ updates and poof...it works.
As for the FM radio feature, yes, the phone is manufactured with a hardware FM tuner build in, but according to the Koodo kid, the CRTC has ordere all phones in Canada with terrestrial radio abilities have the hardware disabled and the software removed. Go figure...the CRTC is looking out for the carriers and not the customers. I'm shocked lol.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you talking videos you've recorded with the camera or videos that you've downloaded? I'm thin...

No problem mark. Glad you got some answers. I had heard they disabled it canada/U.S wide due to the data it permits or something not being compliant with something or other. Personally i think there is more too it that were not informed of. I hope you decide to keep your LG G4 as it is a great phone. Ive been running a G3 for a while now and absolutely love it. The hardware is nice! Hope you have a good day!
Userlevel 7

I don't know where you heard that CRTC rule about the FM radios being disabled but it's not true, since both of my Telus HTC M8 and M9s had FM radio available...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Apparently It is disabled on most of the ** LG G4 ** U.S models. The rumor must have made its way across the border. ** From what i have been reading today.

This is an American explanation, but it appears the same situation exists in Canada, only worse.

"The National Association of Broadcasters has been asking mobile makers to change this. But the mobile industry, which profits from selling data to smartphone users, says that with the consumer's move toward mobile streaming apps, the demand for radio simply isn't there.

Most smartphone models come with a built-in FM feature. Samsung, Apple and LG are among those who have not switched on the chip, but HTC and Motorola chips haven't been blocked, Smulyan says. Sprint has turned on the FM chip for phones on its network."

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/04/16/400178385/the-hidden-fm-radio-inside-your-p...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DoPkkDFjM
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Most interesting. I guess this is a recent development as well since my Z30 has a working FM tuner. Good on Motorola and HTC for not following suit. Such a stupid excuse, saying people don't use it so you should totally disable it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a working FM tuner on several phones. It's not a CRTC requirement.

No it's not a CRTC requirement. The kid at the Koodo kiosk told me that is was, but it turns out he was wrong. It's simply greed driven. They'd rather you use data to stream your music.
There is a growing movement in the US claiming it should be made available to use in disaster/emergency situations. One-by-one the carriers are bringing it in, but I know of no such movement here in Canada.

http://freeradioonmyphone.org/

Alternatively, I'm told there are people who know how to activate it.