Koodo Community

Community

overseas voicemail fees

I recently returned from a trip to Europe. I deactivated my data while I was there to avoid any additional bills and did not purchase any additional coverage since I was happy to rely on WiFi for the duration of the trip and had no plans to use my phone for calling.

However, I did receive a phone call that went to voicemail when I didn't answer. I knew that checking voicemail would involve fees, so I just left it there. But I could not find a way to get rid of the voicemail notification and unfortunately, it was accidentally selected several times when I flipped through notifications or put it my pocket. This has left me with a bunch of oversea phone call fees. It looks like they round up too because I hung up within a second or two of hitting the button several times and yet each time apparently cost me $1.50. I recognize that it is my fault but it was really frustrating because it didn't seem like there was anything I could do about it. Is there a way of avoiding this in the future? How can I get rid of a voicemail message without actually checking the voicemail?

I have a Moto X Play.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You could put your phone into airplane mode, and then turn on wi-fi, which will keep everything else off. That way you see nothing.

You can also try contacting Koodo and explain the situation to see if it's possible to get the voerage fees reduced. No guarantees but always worth it over such a mistake to try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Jennie,

What happened is very unfortunate indeed. If you have a VOIP service (like Skype) you could verify your VM with it or do as Goran suggested, but it in Airplane mode so you don't get the notification anymore. 

It looks like they round up too because I hung up within a second or two of hitting the button several times and yet each time apparently cost me $1.50

Koodo does round up the minutes unfortunately.. Nothing to do for that then call and see with them.