Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Overheating HTC that won't turn on anymore.

My HTC One V got extremely hot all of a sudden and I couldn't touch the screen without burning myself, so I turned it off. It stayed hot for about another hour and then began to cool down. Now, it doesn't turn on and refuses to charge. Any clues on what's wrong?

6 replies

Userlevel 5
It probably got so hot that it fried something internally, how long has it been cooled down? If it's still in it's year of warranty your best bet is to bring it into a Koodo kiosk to see about sending it out for repair. If not it may be time to look at Koodo's other devices.
Jorden wrote:

It probably got so hot that it fried something internally, how long has it been cooled down? I...

It's been cooled down for about 5 hours. It won't turn on and the LED light won't turn on when I connect it to the charger. I'm guessing it's officially dead, so I'll try to switch it with another phone soon.
Jorden wrote:

It probably got so hot that it fried something internally, how long has it been cooled down? I...

My phone is in the same condition now. Any suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Jorden wrote:

don't try to charge it again. It's finished. You're going to need a new phone.

if you're still under warranty (which I can't imagine you are given the age of your device) you should call koodo and arrange for warranty service.

if not you'll be please to know that koodo offers several devices that are a huge improvement over the one V
for android check out the Moto G , this quad core little beasty is a Mobile Master favorite. Clear screen and lots of power but limited to 8gb storage and the camera is less than fantastic

if you're wanting to try something other than android, check out the Nokia Lumia 635, another quad core creature but has an sdcard slot. It's running Windows Phone 8.1 and is an easily enjoyable experience.

both devices are 150$ or no money out of pocket tab small.
Userlevel 7
That's odd. Were you trying to run a graphics intensive game or perhaps too many apps got stuck running in the background and ate up the memory on the phone so it overheated? It sounds like it damaged the phone internally... I'm not sure if will turn on again at this point. If you've had it less than a year, take it to a Koodo shop and attempt to make a warranty claim. This is a bit of a grey area; I don't know if it'll be covered, but it's worth a shot. Otherwise, you could always upgrade your device. The One V is great for just basic talk+text but it lacks raw power to be a daily driver. I would honestly only use it as an emergency backup phone or a loaner. If Koodo won't cover it under warranty, perhaps they'll help you out with some Tab credits to get a new device? This is at their discretion, and I make no promises (neither do they), so give them a call and see what happens. You've got nothing to lose, really.
Jonathan I wrote:

That's odd. Were you trying to run a graphics intensive game or perhaps too many apps got stuck r...

Only thing that was open were the messages. It just started to burn my leg through my pocket. I'll try to get it switched. Thanks for the tips/help.