Koodo Community
Solved

Opt Out of Amber Alert

• 16 March 2019
  • 25 replies

I really need to opt out of the annoying Amber Alert on the cell phone, every time there has been an Amber Alert is waking us up, every single friggin time and its really annoying. Any help would be appreciated immensely. Thank you very much.
icon

Best answer by Dinh 16 March 2019, 23:33

hi
I don't think you can opt out while you are in Canada https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/emergency-alerts-system-phones-canada-1.4586367
https://www.alertready.ca/

"There is no sign-up or opt-in required. Emergency alerts will be automatically sent through these broadcast channels, and to your compatible wireless device.
You cannot opt out of receiving threat-to-life emergency alerts. This is for your safety. "
View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hi
I don't think you can opt out while you are in Canada https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/emergency-alerts-system-phones-canada-1.4586367

"There is no sign-up or opt-in required. Emergency alerts will be automatically sent through these broadcast channels, and to your compatible wireless device.
You cannot opt out of receiving threat-to-life emergency alerts. This is for your safety. "
hi

Thank you so much for your response, I then have a few options. I know #1 is a valid option, and I do think the A.A. bypasses the phones settings because I've had it on mute, while in Tim Hortons last night and all of our phones did the annoying alert sound. So even if I found an App that would mute at a certain time, the A.A. would still come through, so I believe I have to look into something called "Jailbreak", hopefully someones come up with a "hack" for the annoying A.A.

1) Buy an American cell, on an American plan, with North American minutes and texts to use in Canada, as I am in Canada and never travel into the USA.

I know some may give blow back on those of us who do not want the A.A.'s but thats just the way it is, I can see giving an A.A. for all cell phones in Edmonton when its an Edmonton problem, but no need to give it to all of Canada.

on't sound if phone is off, muted

If a smartphone is turned off it cannot be forced on by an alert.

I missed that part, I am just pissed off, is all. I need to find an App that will mute my phone at certain times of the day. That is all.

Again, Thank you so much for that link to the article.

Have a great weekend!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They dont give it to all of Canada. I have yet to recieve anything other than the tests.
Another option, instead of just turning your phone off, do not disturb may block these alerts. Big may on that as I dont have a way to test it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

hi
1) Buy an American cell, on an American plan, with North American minutes and texts to use in Canada, as I am in Canada and never travel into the USA.

I know some may give blow back on those of us who do not want the A.A.'s but thats just the way it is, I can see giving an A.A. for all cell phones in Edmonton when its an Edmonton problem, but no need to give it to all of Canada.

My phone (LG V20 H915 generic) is not configured to receive alerts in Canada... it's not on Koodo's or anyone's list of approved devices. The Canadian tests have never rung thru.

However, when I am roaming in the US on prepaid, I get the local amber alerts.

You will run into roadblocks getting a US-based plan unless you have American credentials, such as credit card, social security, etc. and plan to use the phone at least 50% of the time in the US.

The admittedly not-so-easy way out for you may be to swap your phone for something a little older that is not on the Koodo or Telus supported hardware list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
every time there has been an Amber Alert is waking us up, every single friggin time

You really should find a more comfortable place to sleep than Tim Horton's.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I was watching Captain Marvel in the theater when I received the Amber Alert for the kidnapped boy. My phone was on vibrate and I did feel multiple vibrations during the movie but no sound. No sound played from any cellphones in the theater. Outside the theater, all the tvs in the VIP lounge and music (radio) on the sound system had the amber alert blaring.

Another option is to turn off LTE. LTE is required for these alerts in Canada.

Also the kidnapping occurred at the school close to my home in Edmonton (about a 5 minute drive away). The child was eventually found south of Calgary after the kidnapper switched cars. If this was my child, I wouldnt care if this woke you up or annoyed you. This is no different than an ambulance or police siren driving past you.
Userlevel 2
Unbelievable. I hope you never have to experience your child being missing, but if you did, I'm sure you would want every Canadian, or even those outside Canada, to be aware and keeping an eye open for them. Imagine the pain and anguish of the parents. The last Amber Alert in our area led directly to the father being caught. Unfortunately, he had already murdered his little girl. Is it really too much to ask for you to miss a little sleep? And I know what you'll say, how can you receiving an Amber Alert in the middle of the night help, especially if it's not in your immediate area. Criminals travel far, and quickly. What if you spot the child first thing the next morning? What if you remember seeing the child just before you went home for the night? Have some empathy and don't try and find a way out of receiving the alerts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Offered without any editorial comment:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-off-emergency-alerts-on-your-phone/

May or may not be relevant in Canada.
Userlevel 3
It is really simple. Not everyone has to think the same way as you. Not everyone cares that a child, or another person, was kidnapped, or whatever. People don't have to have sympathy for anyone else. That is how life works. I don't care whether I get alerts or not, but there is no point in sending them to someone like me. Even if you send a picture of the missing person to me, and they passed me on the road 5 minutes later, I probably wouldn't notice them. Your words have absolutely no effect on someone who doesn't think the same way as you.

What makes you think they would even call the police or let anyone know if they saw the kidnapped child? If some people don't want to miss sleep because I had a child missing and would cause an alert on their phone, it should be their prerogative. The missing child is not their problem, and if they don't want to help, you can't force them to help. And there is a difference between a siren outside, on the road, going to wherever it's going, versus blasting an alert sound directly on a person's phone next to them.

Did OP even ask anyone's personal opinion on this topic? Why are you getting all worked up?
Userlevel 2
Well, I knew I shouldn't have commented because it would bring out the 'best' in people. I couldn't help myself since I'm still naive enough to be shocked that people have such disregard for others, but that seems to be the way of the world lately, doesn't it? Try and remember that the alerts are also there for your own safety as well. Forest fire? Earth quake? Tornado? Toxic chemical spill? You still get an alert so you can help yourself, not others, for those that are only concerned with their own well being.

I do have a suggestion for those that would rather not have their sleep disturbed instead of helping someone else. You get to opt out of alerts, but you are never eligible to use them. So if it's YOUR child, sister, elderly parent that goes missing, and you've opted out of receiving Amber Alerts, you don't get to have the authorities use the system on your behalf in your personal emergency. Unfortunately, that only hurts the poor person who is missing and possibly in distress, not the person who was self centred enough to opt out.

This will be my last comment, and I won't follow the thread any further, since seeing society's disregard for each other is too upsetting to me, but I hope I have inspired even one person to stay opted in to the valuable Amber Alerts.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." Dalai Lama
Userlevel 4
Huawei P20, sound settings

Userlevel 3
@The Magic Talking Wall according to the information on the internet that I haven't confirmed, those settings do not work because Canadian alerts are sent at the highest level possible, not in the correct category, because, you know, we all have to care about other people's children.
Userlevel 4
@1234567890 haven't received one so far but then again, I usually turn my phone off at night.

Can't confirm it yet either but maybe these settings work. Haven't seen someone saying they received the alert despite these settings being disabled.

Let's just hope nothing happens to prove or disprove this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@The Magic Talking Wall according to the information on the internet that I haven't confirmed, those settings do not work because Canadian alerts are sent at the highest level possible, not in the correct category, because, you know, we all have to care about other people's children.
Something about living in a society where we all are expected ti care for each other, perhaps? You don't "HAVE" to have sympathy for anyone, or care about anyone, but it should be pretty clear that most communities / societies frown upon that sort of thing. Especially when it comes to the well being of children. Yes there's a subset of people who don't care about anyone else, but openly stating that the children of others isn't worth a minor disruption to your day or night tends to be seen as poor character. The funny thing about not having to care what others think runs both ways. Others don't have to care that those people don't care either. Looks like Canadian society overall doesn't care that you receive a minor disruption on the chance that everyone who would care enough to be aware of a child in danger gets the notification as well.

We got to where we are with cooperation. You don't have to cooperate, but then youre seen as a douche if you get all upset about being asked / told to cooperate in society.
Userlevel 3
Ok.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Imagine with this was your friend who had their child kidnapped. The amber alert worked great as he was found in another city at 530am

Userlevel 3
Coincidence? Just received an Amber Alert.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Coincidence? Just received an Amber Alert.
I received nothing. What area are you in?
This woulda been the best time to test some of those settings above
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Coincidence? Just received an Amber Alert.I received nothing. What area are you in?
This woulda been the best time to test some of those settings above

Ontario. Specifically Markham last seen and reported by York Regional Police.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I find it more ridiculous that alerts seem to be issued on a province-wide basis. A child abducted in York region will not be spotted in Thunder Bay for at least 15 hours. Similarly, it really doesn't affect my safety if funnel clouds have been sighted near Ottawa. Maybe find a way to issue these notifications within a certain geographic radius of the point of origin. I doubt this latest amber alert went out to people in St. John, NB, even though they're just as close to Toronto as I am.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I find it more ridiculous that alerts seem to be issued on a province-wide basis. A child abducted in York region will not be spotted in Thunder Bay for at least 15 hours. Similarly, it really doesn't affect my safety if funnel clouds have been sighted near Ottawa. Maybe find a way to issue these notifications within a certain geographic radius of the point of origin. I doubt this latest amber alert went out to people in St. John, NB, even though they're just as close to Toronto as I am.

I am not sure what the ideal thing to do is distance over time wise as well as proximity to provincial / national borders. Definitely cpuld use some reform though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Huawei P20, sound settings

OnePlus 5T has similar settings:

@matt4x4 maybe have a look in your phone's settings? I got here by typing "amber" into the search box in my phone's settings.
I hate Canada now, not my Native land or used to be. It's just not the same as it used to be. Not ours a dictatorship!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I hate Canada now, not my Native land or used to be. It's just not the same as it used to be. Not ours a dictatorship!